Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To continue my comments from the 16 DVT post.

I've brought my Multi into the shop for it's 37,000 miles /60,000k service

It's been burning about 500ml per 1000m/1600k

They did a leak down and the front cylinder it losing about 6% with evidence of oil burn in the exhaust. All the valves are in spec.

After my Desmo service and oil change is completed, Ducati wants the shop to drain the oil and weigh it, filled it back up, drain and weigh the oil.
Then I'm suppose to ride 600 miles and bring it back so the shop. Then drain and weigh the oil. To figure out how much it's actually burning I'm guessing.

After that who knows. New rings

·
Registered
853 Posts
You need to let them check consumption using their approved methods — but you also need to keep your own records. If your records show that the problem developed during the warranty period they should still fix it even if the bike is out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You need to let them check consumption using their approved methods — but you also need to keep your own records. If your records show that the problem developed during the warranty period they should still fix it even if the bike is out of warranty.
So true. If you have it in writing about the oil in the exhaust, don't lose it. if not, make your own dated notes and give them a copy periodically in advance of warranty expiration.

6% is not that significant a number. I assume when they "checked the valves", they checked the guides. Still, since the owner manual break in procedures and early on switches to synthetic can result in the rings not seating, that's likely where you are at. If you want to try to fix it yourself without telling them about it, you can swap in 100% mineral based oil and take it out to a gradual hill and load it in a tall gear at a smooth rpm until it gets hot but NOT overheated. Do that 5-6 times and then switch the oil back. Start testing for oil loss again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry,

But changing to mineral oil and loading the engine while at operating temperature will do nothing but waste your time and money on oil and a filter. It the cylinders are glazed, the only way to remove it is with a hone and replacement of piston rings.

Uli-

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The original warranty is still on until Dec 28 2017.
After that I have a extending warranty.

Most maintenance has been done by Ducati mechanics at Ducati shops

I've done tires and the oil & filter at the 4500 marks between the 9,000 mile recommendation from Ducati. I also have all the paper work. But I will make sure the approved methods of consumption is documented.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts