Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the keyless gas cap installed on my DVT. So far it is great, I just have one issue. It seems to only unlock for 30 secs or so right after I power off the bike. Is there any way to get it to unlock with just the kill switch. I'd prefer not to turn off the bike when stopped for gas cause that kills the bluetooth too. I'd even be fine with it staying unlocked all the time, I have zero concern with someone getting into my gas tank.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like the perfect solution for you would be a screw off gas cap. There are amazingly handy.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have the electronic gas cap as well. There's two wires that run to it, power and ground. I guess when the bike is powered off the ECU sends power to the gas cap for 60 seconds.

You could probably splice a wire, with power, to a switch or momentarily push button that would allow you to release the cap.

Sounds like the convenience has become an inconvenience, I just didn't like having to use my key. Although I like my electronic gas cap, if I had to do it again, I'd probably have just gone with a twist off cap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And prob not the best Idea to fuel up while the engine is running. Just sayin
I did say I’d hit the kill switch first. I’d never fuel with the bike actually running. I just don’t like powering down all the electronics (bluetooth, gps, etc) just to get the cap open.

Sounds like the perfect solution for you would be a screw off gas cap. There are amazingly handy.
I hate screw off caps. I'm worried I would drop and lose it. I do a lot of touring and the bike is always loaded so having to fiddle with or hold something extra just to fuel up is hugely inconvenient. Especially when I regularly have 500-1000+ mi days so I’m fueling constantly.

I have the electronic gas cap as well. There's two wires that run to it, power and ground. I guess when the bike is powered off the ECU sends power to the gas cap for 60 seconds.

You could probably splice a wire, with power, to a switch or momentarily push button that would allow you to release the cap.

Sounds like the convenience has become an inconvenience, I just didn't like having to use my key. Although I like my electronic gas cap, if I had to do it again, I'd probably have just gone with a twist off cap.
I let my shop install it for me cause I had to bring the bike in for the 18K service. Do you know if I have to take the tank off to get to those wires. If it is the ECU timing the 60 seconds I wonder if there's some ECU setting that can be adjusted.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ideally, you need to take the tank cover off to get to the wires. It's not difficult once you know the order of the steps involved. The wire runs down the left side fork tunnel just behind the left fork.

Watch the video, below, this should help you locate all the fasteners. When you take the tank cover off, do NOT unscrew the gap cap. You can slowly lift the tank cover off with the gas cap in place.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just got the keyless gas cap installed on my DVT. So far it is great, I just have one issue. It seems to only unlock for 30 secs or so right after I power off the bike. Is there any way to get it to unlock with just the kill switch. I'd prefer not to turn off the bike when stopped for gas cause that kills the bluetooth too. I'd even be fine with it staying unlocked all the time, I have zero concern with someone getting into my gas tank.

The E-cap looks to me as if it could easily be modified to be non-locking.

There are two locking mechanisms in play. One for the electronic lock and one is mechanically manipulated.

If one modified the electronic lock by removing the material the lock engages on the actual lid itself, the cap would likely transform to an unlocked mechanical cap.

Leaving the cycle and other electronics run while filling the tank is another matter.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
The E-cap looks to me as if it could easily be modified to be non-locking.

There are two locking mechanisms in play. One for the electronic lock and one is mechanically manipulated.

If one modified the electronic lock by removing the material the lock engages on the actual lid itself, the cap would likely transform to an unlocked mechanical cap.

Leaving the cycle and other electronics run while filling the tank is another matter.:surprise:
So this is a cool solution if you don't mind not having a locking cap... however it does seem a bit crazy to spend all that money on an electronic gizmo to then defeat it just to get a fully manual unlock option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this is a cool solution if you don't mind not having a locking cap... however it does seem a bit crazy to spend all that money on an electronic gizmo to then defeat it just to get a fully manual unlock option.
A bit crazy, agreed. But I think I might do it. Is anyone seriously concerned with someone getting into their gas tank? I mean seriously how often does this happen?

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
Anyone install the cap themselves? I've got one ordered and the installation instructions seem to indicate removing the entire tank, which it seems to me shouldn't be necessary. It does look like the power connector is below the front corner of the tank - is it really unreachable?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anyone install the cap themselves? I've got one ordered and the installation instructions seem to indicate removing the entire tank, which it seems to me shouldn't be necessary. It does look like the power connector is below the front corner of the tank - is it really unreachable?
No -I didn't need to remove the tank, the power connector is not hard to find. The hardest part is pulling the tank cover off the gas cap. There is a rubber gasket that fits really snug between the two, you need to work it loose cairfully, breaking the tank cover is a possability.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I did mine myself, about 30 minutes. You need to get the bodywork off until the physical tank is exposed. The tank does not have to come off.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
No -I didn't need to remove the tank, the power connector is not hard to find. The hardest part is pulling the tank cover off the gas cap. There is a rubber gasket that fits really snug between the two, you need to work it loose cairfully, breaking the tank cover is a possability.
That seems to be true of all the bodywork... some of those side pieces I've had to contort to remove or re-install. I think with the bike being new the plastic is nice and flexible so probably no problem but I worry about the process once the plastic ages some and gets less flexible.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd like to disable the locking on my stock cap. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Would it be possible to have the electronic cap on some sort of a switch to activate the lock? So you don't have to shut down completely to unlock the cap. Would I have to power up the lock or power down to activate it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
869 Posts
Would it be possible to have the electronic cap on some sort of a switch to activate the lock? So you don't have to shut down completely to unlock the cap. Would I have to power up the lock or power down to activate it?
As the lock activates, allows you to open it, for 60 seconds after the bike is turned off, my un-educated guess thinks that power is supplied to it to release the electromagnetic lock for this period. The connector only has two wires running to it, so in theory, it should be pretty easy to determine which is the power wire and then splice a switchable power source into it.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
How did you get it loose... I can rotate the tank cover a bit and it slides on the gasket but it doesn't seem to want to work loose... is there a notch or something holding the gasket in place? Do I need use something to gently push the gasket down as I pull up on the cover?

I've seen videos of folks taking the cover and cap off together and I wonder if that might be easier (get the cap off of the cover once both are off the bike).

·
Registered
869 Posts
It's a real tight fit. If you can't get the cover off comfortably, undo the tank gas cap from the gas tank and take it off with the cover, there's two hoses to disconnect.

You can then push the old gas cap out easily.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would have considered this accessory if you could use your key as a backup to open the cap if the electronics fail. Whatever the chances of that happening, that is the last problem I want to experience on a road trip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Connector help

Any chance anyone can tell me exactly where the connector is? Maybe send a picture please? I know it's on the left side by or on the left fork tube but I jut can't find it. I did not remove the tank or bodywork and was able to install with no problem. Just have the plug hanging from under the front bottom of the tank.

Thanks!!
-ant

1 - 20 of 23 Posts