Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two years ago when I purchased my used 999 I had a new set of sprockets and chain installed. Kept the stock 15T front, went to a 38T rear, up 2 teeth from stock. Fortunately the dealer left the new chain too long when installed which gave me the opportunity to experiment w/ different rear sprocket sizes.
So, from 36 tooth rear (stock), I went to a 38, 39, 40, 41 and now 42 tooth. IMO the best combo is w/ out a doubt a 15/42 gearing. Even going that one extra tooth on the rear really improved clutch release and 1st gear lugging. Secondly, the bike handles so much better....I believe it is decreasing the wheelbase of the 999. My axle is nearly all the way forward, axle adjuster 1st mark barely aligns w/ the swing arm mark. Wow..what a confidence inspiring set up I have now! Thirdly, the bike just accerates viscously! Of course it won't do 170-maybe not 150....but the brutal pull that is associated w/ the 999 now is incredible. It's no Busa' or ZX..but there's a definate improvement..w/o feeling you're riding in 1st gear everytime you shift.
So, if you're due for a chain replacement, do yourself a favor and try the 15/42 for you 999 or at least experiment, even if you own a different Ducati. You can always reduce the length of the chain if it's not for you. Buy a few sprockets and have at it! I will guarantee you'll never look back after going to a larger rear sprocket...especially you 999 owners!:D

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I've been considering different sprocket sizes lately. I found a marked down 520 Vortex black sprocket for cheap at Cycle Gear so I bought it. Its only a 38T but I figure what the heck, two up is better than nothing. I still like top end and I don't like the feeling like have 4.56 gears in a car. Even 4.10s was on the edge, I'm happy with 3.92s. Anyway, the same goes for motorcycle gearing but I hear what you are saying loud and clear. I'll likely go with the 38 and stay with the 520 set up to save some weight. There are robust 520 chains available so I'm not worried about snapping one and blowing a hole in my crankcase. I'll keep a 15T on the front and I think the combo will give me just a little push off the line, just enough to avoid lugging. Then I'll have top end and loss of weight too. The only problem is I'm gonna wait until my current set up wears out, that can be awhile.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have title it 15/42 instead of 41...that's what happens when I have my twin 4 yr olds on my lap everytime I sit down at the computer.
I'll tell you John, if your going to lighten it up a bit by going to a 520, I would experiement w/ a 42 rear. I have a 41T in good shape, better than good-it's a light weight FBF sprocket if you would like to try it. It's a for a 535 pitch though. You can lose some weight by going to an aluminum sprocket too. They are considerable lighter than steel and at $49....nearly half the price. You'll definately be riding will a big grin on your face w/ the 15/42T...others have gone this route too and their right, the fun meter goes up big time-plus it's so much easier w/o the bucking and lugging at low rpm street riding which is what most of us do. Even a 38T, +2 made no difference here.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I went 15 / 40, up from 14 / 36 when I got the bike and still get some lugging. Maybe I should give the 42 a shot. I take it the wheel likes to come up a little faster now?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I have 14/39 on my 99R (15/36 OEM).

When it needs a new chain, I'll probably go 15/43 (as on my SS).

My ST2 has 14/43.

Tom

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went 15 / 40, up from 14 / 36 when I got the bike and still get some lugging. Maybe I should give the 42 a shot. I take it the wheel likes to come up a little faster now?
Yep, it does!..but it did anyway....it's amazing how much difference going +1 or 2 on the rear sprocket makes...hey, you can always go back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts