Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have done this and are you glad you did? Did it help with the low rpm stuttering? Have you noticed much of an improvement in response and performance?

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
How many have done this and are you glad you did? Did it help with the low rpm stuttering? Have you noticed much of an improvement in response and performance?

Bill
Hell yes I'm glad I put a 14T front sprocket on! :D

Helps with the low end roughness a little by keeping your revs a little higher. Don't care less about possible performance improvements or degradation and haven't been looking for them. For me, the reason for changing to a 14T was to improve the overall rideability. A 14T front sprocket allows you to use more gears. Makes a huge difference riding around town. Don't have to feather 1st gear in traffic any more. :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Went to the 14t front last week.

Dealer wanted me to get the same "result" by staying 15t up front and going to a 43t rear with a 525 chain. Said my parts would last longer.

I chose the 14t with the stock rear 40t and the stock 530. Just use the correct 14t to fit that set.

Do I notice a change and do I like it?

Actually I did it because of guys like Mark and others here on the forum who said it was a great change.

Other than what Mark said about gearing around town the experience of the 14t in Sport will keep you on your toes in every gear including 6th. You can be in 6th doing 85 and can jump to 100 before you know what hit you.

It just changes the whole ride of the bike. I'm not sure it's for everybody, though. You can always go back.

Dan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Best upgrade done to date

And if someone finally does a 43T 530 rear you can use your almost new/old 15T again when you have to replace the chain

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
763 Posts
Best mod to date.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm very happy with it. 6th gear with 80 km/h no problem. It's possible to shift very early. More useful power at lower revs and km/h. Good modification for less money. Just do it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Best mod.
Will go to the new rear 42 530 and put the 15t back for touring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to the 14t front last week.

Dealer wanted me to get the same "result" by staying 15t up front and going to a 43t rear with a 525 chain. Said my parts would last longer.

I chose the 14t with the stock rear 40t and the stock 530. Just use the correct 14t to fit that set.

Do I notice a change and do I like it?

Actually I did it because of guys like Mark and others here on the forum who said it was a great change.

Other than what Mark said about gearing around town the experience of the 14t in Sport will keep you on your toes in every gear including 6th. You can be in 6th doing 85 and can jump to 100 before you know what hit you.

It just changes the whole ride of the bike. I'm not sure it's for everybody, though. You can always go back.

Dan
I'm an old car guy and we always put in lower gears. Always said it was the best bang for the buck.

What range are you guys getting from a tank of gas before and after the gear change?

Thanks for everyone chiming in.

Be Safe,

Bill

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'm an old car guy and we always put in lower gears. Always said it was the best bang for the buck.

What range are you guys getting from a tank of gas before and after the gear change?

Bill
Bill

Can't be exact but since the change I've put on maybe 300 miles and I seem to be burning more with the 14t.

And to be even less helpful I can tell you personally that the way the bike rides and moves with the change it "feels" like this mod is going to put you at the pumps sooner rather than later. Can you go from fast to rocket on the same fuel?

But a much more advanced biker here has told me that he doesn't notice any change.

Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill

Can't be exact but since the change I've put on maybe 300 miles and I seem to be burning more with the 14t.

And to be even less helpful I can tell you personally that the way the bike rides and moves with the change it "feels" like this mod is going to put you at the pumps sooner rather than later. Can you go from fast to rocket on the same fuel?

But a much more advanced biker here has told me that he doesn't notice any change.

Dan
Dan I would think you would use more fuel but then again it just depends how a person drives. Most likely with the feel of more power it could get addicting.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
On the topic, where is everyone getting their 14T from these days? Still GB?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking forward to getting some feedback on how that set up feels and the notable difference.

Dan
I think I'll have the dealer install the 14t when I go in for the 1000 mi service.

Be Safe,

Bill

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
BTW, does one have to change the chain size and rear sprocket if you decide to go to 14T?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
BTW, does one have to change the chain size and rear sprocket if you decide to go to 14T?
Assuming you're running the stock 530 chain and you buy a 530 14T front sprocket, then no. :)

The whole point of putting on a compatible 14T front sprocket is that you can keep the existing chain and rear sprocket. You only need a new chain if you increase the number of teeth on the rear sprocket while keeping a 15T front sprocket.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Assuming you're running the stock 530 chain and you buy a 530 14T front sprocket, then no. :)

The whole point of putting on a compatible 14T front sprocket is that you can keep the existing chain and rear sprocket. You only need a new chain if you increase the number of teeth on the rear sprocket while keeping a 15T front sprocket.
Ah good point!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Great mod well worth doing.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts