Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike should have come this way from the factory
Makes 6th way more usable
no more riding the clutch at take off
I won't miss the 8MPH at the top of 6th
Great wheelies ( says this guy at 61 yrs old :x)
probably the best bang for the buck mod available for the bike.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ah k. Yeah I did that to my 696 as well and I liked it. I'm curious if people do it to the new monsters too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I did the 14 on my 900SS, then went back to the 15 and went to 41 in back. My S4RS I left as it is, seems good stock and I don't really need more acceleration. Seems like final gearing rpm is a little lower on the Monster to begin with, and it has another 40-50 hp than my SS.

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
I'm doing it on my 1100 Hyper (14 tooth front) but don't feel like I need it for my M1200, goes effin hard as is...

·
Registered
249 Posts
14 tooth on a Monster is easily the best mod you can do! I agree they should come this way. Some say they create more chain wear but I feel it's minimal.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got a 14T in the pile of parts I need to put on my 796... I need to get out there and get it done. The comment about usability of 6th gear is true... I'm lucky if it ever gets into 6th right now.

As it is, when it comes time to get a new chain, I'll probably go back to a 15T front, and go down on the rear.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've got a 14T in the pile of parts I need to put on my 796... I need to get out there and get it done. The comment about usability of 6th gear is true... I'm lucky if it ever gets into 6th right now.

As it is, when it comes time to get a new chain, I'll probably go back to a 15T front, and go down on the rear.[/QUOTE

You will want to go up in the rear.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I've done -1F on my 959 Pani. Very pleased with the results. Not sure if I want the same on the Monster 1200R yet as it will shorten the gearing.
Besides, it already pulls harder than I can handle as is.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I don't do it to be faster, I do it to fine tune the rpm for the roads I normally ride. Especially a carby, it's much happier above 3000 rpm. Getting away from traffic lights a bit nicer too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
All 3 of the Ducati's I've had, it's one of the first things I do.... right along with a tail tidy and new mirrors. My SF seemed to benefit the most from it though.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
The chain wear thing to me is a non issue. If you’re worried, lube it more often.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see that most responses are 14T favorable... I'd like to say that although it has all the mentioned advantages (higher revs at low speed, more "power" to make wheelies, 6th gear more usable...) It has also a "big" disadvantage from my point of view.
The gearing were noticeable shortened (as DarR pointed), and that was quite unpleasant for me. Including that fact in the list of pros and cons, I'd say it's a draw, I wouldn't be able to say if I recommend it or not :wink2:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
it all depends on what model you are dealing with, and, as such, what primary drive, gearbox and final drive ratios.

the 14 tooth thing does not apply equally to all models.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I wouldn’t bother if I spent a lot of time at higher speed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts