Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my bike off at the dealership yesterday for inspection and some recall work. I ran into a guy with an evo who had a 14 tooth sprocket on his. He had nothing but good things to say about it. I am considering putting one on and was looking to this forum for more feedback... Pro's, con's, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
After 1000miles after swapping mine for a 14t I'd recommend it. Little different at first but I think overall it makes the bike a little more user friendly. I'd say the biggest pro is take off is much smoother, and 6th gear is pretty lug free at 70mph. Keep your old sprocket and switch back if your not sold...... Though I doubt you will..... cheapest $100 bucks you'll spend making the bike better!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an easy mod to do yourself.
My buddy said the same thing... I was going to ask the dealership to put one on while the rear tire (and chain) is off, but they'd still hit me with an hour labor.

Are any other adjustments necessary? Or is it a straight swap with the stock sprocket?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So what is the downside?
Slight worse fuel economy. You'll be turning at a higher RPM on the freeway.

I did the 14T mod to my bike and absolutely love it. I think it should have come from the factory like this. It's much easier in slow speed situations and you don't have the slip the clutch as much to get moving.

The increased acceleration doesn't hurt anything either :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
14T Sprocket

With the new sprocket install, does this affect spedometer accuracy ? Where is the spedo pick-up on this model ? Wheel or transmission ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
just a question- but if you change the teeth to 14, won't you be shifting from 1st-2nd, and back and fourth when you are in traffic a whole lot more than if you just left the original sprocket.

·
Registered
929 Posts
No, I haven't noticed that at all. I guess maybe if you were doing 30 mph all the time. Although I can't remember what speed you'd be in at 2nd with the stock gear and not lugging it? The 14t gear is good for 1st but I would like a taller 2nd. A 14.5 gear would be perfect for me. Also with the 14t it's much better for hwy speeds unless your over 90 in 6th. To get the perfect match I may have to play around with changing the rear gearing also?

just a question- but if you change the teeth to 14, won't you be shifting from 1st-2nd, and back and fourth when you are in traffic a whole lot more than if you just left the original sprocket.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
No, I haven't noticed that at all. I guess maybe if you were doing 30 mph all the time. Although I can't remember what speed you'd be in at 2nd with the stock gear and not lugging it? The 14t gear is good for 1st but I would like a taller 2nd. A 14.5 gear would be perfect for me. Also with the 14t it's much better for hwy speeds unless your over 90 in 6th. To get the perfect match I may have to play around with changing the rear gearing also?
One tooth in the front is equal to 2 in the back.

You might be happier with a 15T front and going up one tooth in the rear when riding in second gear but less happy when you are in the other gears.

You would be happier with a close ratio gear box.

-M

·
Registered
929 Posts
My friend Martin,

The longer I know you the better I listen :)

Although listening to you may make my $11k bike $20k :)

By the way the ecu (reflash) seems to be much better, that was sitting in the garage idling as time didn't permit a "ride."

I can only imaging the cost of a custom gear box?

One tooth in the front is equal to 2 in the back.

You might be happier with a 15T front and going up one tooth in the rear when riding in second gear but less happy when you are in the other gears.

You would be happier with a close ratio gear box.

-M

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The 748 has a close ratio gearbox--lot of those engines floating around for cheap...Might want to check with Nick or Matt to see if that tranny would fit--that would be an easy upgrade...

-M

·
Registered
929 Posts
That upgrade money just was used on our 2 seadoos. Supercharger service required (ceramic washers replaced) to prevent major damage plus reg service, new grate on one, minor hull (2"x3") repair, DMV registration, new batteries.... Hope that's it :)

The 748 has a close ratio gearbox--lot of those engines floating around for cheap...Might want to check with Nick or Matt to see if that tranny would fit--that would be an easy upgrade...

-M

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also installed the 14T sprocket on my `11 696 ABS and I found it made a noticeable difference when riding on low-speed roads. Being able to use 2nd gear instead of 1st at low speeds makes things quite a bit smoother but it still won't help the chugging at low RPMs. Moving from a stop is a little less difficult with the change and it makes the 6th gear useable.

I wouldn't go back to the 15T, but from what I have been reading an ECU re-flash and disabling the O2 sensors would be more beneficial since it allows you to use those lower RPMs smoothly.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ecu

I just had MotoWheels reflash my ecu and that made a huge difference. Smoother, better throttle response and far less back firing. It still does but it did it stock also, probably more stock. Anyway the result was now with the 14t gear it performs better at lower rpm so I can use 3rd more where before it lugged too bad at lower rpm's. Now It feels much better at lower rpm's, before anything below 4k was rough and "chugged" now I'm good to about 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had MotoWheels reflash my ecu and that made a huge difference. Smoother, better throttle response and far less back firing. It still does but it did it stock also, probably more stock. Anyway the result was now with the 14t gear it performs better at lower rpm so I can use 3rd more where before it lugged too bad at lower rpm's. Now It feels much better at lower rpm's, before anything below 4k was rough and "chugged" now I'm good to about 3500 rpm.
Did you ask them to disable the O2 sensors as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to ask since I had trouble understanding the end of your comment. Do you mean it still lugs and chugs under 3500rpm with the re-flash?

I've been wanted to do this with mine in hope to make stop and go traffic bearable.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts