Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the front 14 fitted this morning, just brilliant biggest bang for the £, easyer take off, smoother in traffic, more lively, just brilliant,

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutley no, I thought it might be compromised, but heaps of benefit down in 1,2,3,4, and not noticeable difference at the top, honest go get this mod done,

·
Registered
377 Posts
Absolutley no, I thought it might be compromised, but heaps of benefit down in 1,2,3,4, and not noticeable difference at the top, honest go get this mod done,
Commute much? gas mileage affected?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
How does it affect the off idle surging? Does it make it more noticeable or reduce the surging?

I do feel that the bike could be geared slightly lower hence my interest in the 14tooth. The only thing is first gear wheelie seems already very abrupt on this bike...

I assume you don't have to change the chain?

·
Registered
730 Posts
John
Are you planning to use post 1000 on anything special-
wait don't answer that, being a Duc forum maybe 999 should be a good 1

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I went up 2 in back ...
That's a better way to do it, by keeping the 15t countershaft sprocket.

"Gear ratios"

stock F 15T R 42T =2.8

F 14T R 42T =3.0

F 15T R 43T=2.86

F 15T R 44T=2.93

F 15T R 45T=3.0

Take your pick, Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
14T caution!

Just a word of caution, I would NOT suggest installing a 14T with a lighter 520 pitch chain set-up, go bigger on the rear, as the tensile strength of a 520 chain is 10% less, and going from a 15T to a 14T causes 7% increase in chain tension, so in theory this set-up will be 17% weaker, :eek: with the 525 pitch its OK to go to a 14T, but on the 520 go with a larger rear. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I run a Talon quick change carrier, could have gone 44t at rear, but chose to go 14t front, had a multistrada before with a 44 rear, the 44 gets very close to the swing arm, and it was a ver very mild change, 14t front is heaps better

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Just a word of caution, I would NOT suggest installing a 14T with a lighter 520 pitch chain set-up, go bigger on the rear, as the tensile strength of a 520 chain is 10% less, and going from a 15T to a 14T causes 7% increase in chain tension, so in theory this set-up will be 17% weaker, :eek: with the 525 pitch its OK to go to a 14T, but on the 520 go with a larger rear. Aloha Alex
and the percentage of me being bored/confused by the above is 100% :rolleyes:

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
and the percentage of me being bored/confused by the above is 100% :rolleyes:
If 14T is good is 13T even better?:p

15/44 with a 520 chain suits me fine. No swingarm clearance issues and with the light flywheel and other mods, I don't really need gearing that's any lower.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I run a Talon quick change carrier, could have gone 44t at rear, but chose to go 14t front, had a multistrada before with a 44 rear, the 44 gets very close to the swing arm, and it was a ver very mild change, 14t front is heaps better
As I have not done any gearing changes yet, until all my dyno runs are complete, how does the larger rear sprocket make the chain closer to the swingarm? I would think that it would be farther from the swingarm. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
484 Posts
He's talking about the front of the sprocket where the swingarm is milled out. The front part of the sprocket were there's no chain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts