Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2014 multi pikes peak that has only 4,000km on it. Original timing belt, but manual says it should be changed at 5 years of 24,000km. Would it need to be done right away even with such low mileage? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
Right away... I’d not start the bike. Most likely there’s a healthy safety margin but why risk it

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'd be inclined to change them. If you are crafty, good with a wrench so to speak, the belt change only isn't that difficult IMO. There is at least one good video on it, and I've got a personal doc with all the bits and tools and notes recorded. My 2014's were pretty loose at the 16k (miles) mark when I did my service. That was winter before last. FWIW. If you know the bikes history and it's been kept indoors, ridden occasionally, and the rubber hasn't dry-rotted any, it's probably not going to break anytime soon. You can pull the lower cover easy enough to visually inspect the rubber some. But they are recommending the age mark for that reason, rubber gets old. Even though that belt is highly reinforced.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Age is just as important as mileage. Belts may have been wrapped around the pulleys for years without moving and that isn’t good for belt life. If you save a hundred bucks on not changing the belts now, you can hold onto it and put it towards an engine rebuild if a belt breaks. Then it will only cost another $2000 to be running again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just to be devil's advocate, what's to say the belt you're replacing it with hasn't sat on a shelf for 5 years?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe just having the belt sit new and untentioned is easier on it though, not sure. Sounds like I will replace it regardless, if I get this bike. Why do they use a belt and not a chain anyway? Can't imagine for noise reasons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ducati engineers say 5 years. That would mean the belts are good for at least 7 (I'd say more but let's be safe). I might live in an easy environment for belts and you might live in the worst. They need to pick a safe number. If the belts snap at 5 years and Ducati says 5 years then their product would be shite. There is no way they'd cut things that close. I can't speak to issues if your bike sat for years but under normal operating conditions my guess is you'd be fine. That being said it's better safe than sorry/risk vs return and all that.

If I were you (and I'm not) I wouldn't worry about running the bike some with the current belts but out of caution I wouldn't push it too much before I change the belts. If you want to push it do it on the next belt change when you'll know what the bike has been through over the next 5 years/24K KM.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Synchronous Belts do not take a set like V-belts

Here’s a picture of the belts I just removed from my 749R, that had sat unused for the last three years and two months. In all that time, the engine hadn't been turned over once, and this is what they look like. stretta

Picture 2020-07-12 at 11.30.42 PM.jpg

749R timing belt pics - after 3 years of standing still!

Gates, the manufacturer of the Ducati timing (synchronous) belts, state that they expect a belt to provide full service life as designed, even if stored for 8 years on a drive under tension.
Picture 2020-07-12 at 11.32.02 PM.jpg

http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000058.pdf

See also:

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I used to run the parts department where I worked. I had a belt salesman walk around my belt storage area and bend stored belts causing cracks in them. No sunlight on them, stored on pegs. They just rotted hanging there.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
5 years is almost certainly a 1.6 safety factor based on Gates published durability specs (which no doubt ALSO have a safety margin built in). Because belt failure is a catastrophic issue, I look at those margin'd values as hard limits. If belt failure just resulted in a non-damage issue (engine won't run until fixed) I'd run the belts right to the age limit... but not when failure will wreck my motor. It's all a matter of how much risk you're comfortable with absorbing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 14, and overdue for the 30k Desmo. My Odometer is at 32k. If anyone should be worried, I guess its me. I purchased the bike new in Oct of 15, the bike never sits, its ridden just about every day since its my only ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts