Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how boring it is to keep dragging up old posts, so heres a new one.
actually i cant be arsed to search.

is it just me, or did the streetfighter ride nicer on a 15tooth front?

sure its a little nicer round town, but not thet much. im really surprised.

thinking i might go back

·
Registered
252 Posts
how boring it is to keep dragging up old posts, so heres a new one.
actually i cant be arsed to search.

is it just me, or did the streetfighter ride nicer on a 15tooth front?

sure its a little nicer round town, but not thet much. im really surprised.

thinking i might go back
I've been thinking about a 14T for my 848 but it just doesn't seem to need it. I had one on my Monster 696 and it was, without question, an improvement.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I feel little need for a 14T with the SF848. Wouldn't mind trying it out for a day, but don't feel the desire to switch really.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Interesting hash on this. You are correct, it has been discussed quite a bit here. You are the first that I know of who went to the 14t front sprocket and is going back. Seems most like the change. Personally, I am still running stock front & rear and don't have much inclination to change.

I may try switching the rear sprocket though some time just to see what it's like. I think it's something like -1 tooth front = + 2 or 3 teeth in back? Do I have it backwards?

·
Registered
252 Posts
The rear sprocket has 42 teeth - nearly three times more than the front - so the math is roughly correct, though it's not directly analogous.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I haven't felt the need to switch on my sf848. But that's just my preference.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a 14T laying around brand new, but haven't installed it wither. After the exhaust this thing would be waaay to wheelie happy...

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Its definitely quicker with the 14. There is nothing wrong with a little more torque, or the same amount of torque 4-500 hundred rpm sooner, plus, the changed ratio would make a difference at higher speeds, which it is a thrill to feel it pull like a bat out of hell as you are changing gears 3/4, 4/5, not that we are spending a lot of time up there.

Some guys got the 14 to get them through the stumble at 3500 stumble a little quicker.

One of the guys at Pro Italia told me that +- 1 in the front was equivalent to +- 2.5 teeth in the back, and though it is putting more stress on the front sprocket, they hadn't ever seen any issues, and they felt like +2.5 at the back was just right and 3 maybe even too much. Seems like splitting hairs to me. Fwiw.

Its such an inexpensive mod to do that I'm sure it would be interesting for anyone to try it out. Especially guys at any altitude or where its hot, or just summer time in general.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Beware that changing sprockets will disturb the DTC settings.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Beware that changing sprockets will disturb the DTC settings.

huh??..how can that happen...AFAIK, the DTC has sensors that monitors the front and back wheels,i.e. that they both roll/spin at the same rate,regardless of the engine RPM,otherwise the DTC will interfere if it senses a rear-wheel spin...well, this is just what i know...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I changed to a 14t but after a few days went back to the stock 15t.

Here are my reasons.. I live at sea level. I'am a person who likes to ride sporty through the twisties.
Accelerating after those tight twisties the bike felt very nervous and you had to be very very careful on a 14t.

For riding in a calm and civilized manner the 14t would be more suited then a 15t.

But for me the 15t is excellent... I therefore can smoothly accelerate out of tight twisties.

The 15t is more suited to my agressive riding.
Have a 14t laying around here.. If interested just contact me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For riding in a calm and civilized manner the 14t would be more suited then a 15t.

But for me the 15t is excellent... I therefore can smoothly accelerate out of tight twisties.

I think you have some of that backwards. The 14T will provide more torque, more power, more aggression. Not less of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed to a 14t but after a few days went back to the stock 15t.

Here are my reasons.. I live at sea level. I'am a person who likes to ride sporty through the twisties.
Accelerating after those tight twisties the bike felt very nervous and you had to be very very careful on a 14t.

completly agree.

it doesnt make the bike feel more powerful when pushing, just like you say, bike feels nervous, like its desperate to get to the top of the revs for a gear change, with no noticable punch.

i think another ride on the 14, then a re trial on the 15. cant be bothered with tinkering with the rear or any more than a 14 or 15 front. after all not doing it for speed, just for comfort with the speed

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Going with the 14 makes it a lot less fiddly pulling away, maneuvering, and riding in slow traffic. Stall it once going slow with feet up and you'll understand. You'll need a quick clutch hand to avoid dropping the bike.

The only reason for the high gearing is to make it possible for the bike to pass the emissions and noise tests. It keeps engine speed down, which means less noise and emissions.

·
Registered
665 Posts
huh??..how can that happen...AFAIK, the DTC has sensors that monitors the front and back wheels,i.e. that they both roll/spin at the same rate,regardless of the engine RPM,otherwise the DTC will interfere if it senses a rear-wheel spin...well, this is just what i know...
It also mentioned in the manual to use the same tires, otherwise you're messing up the DTC settings. DTC lvl calculates torque, lean-angle, speed, and difference in wheel speed. As I read the back wheel is ALWAYS spinning/slipping in a certain amount when cornering. This shows how sophisticated the DTC is or must be, to be of any use. It's not just a anti spin or wheely system.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
It also mentioned in the manual to use the same tires, otherwise you're messing up the DTC settings. DTC lvl calculates torque, lean-angle, speed, and difference in wheel speed. As I read the back wheel is ALWAYS spinning/slipping in a certain amount when cornering. This shows how sophisticated the DTC is or must be, to be of any use. It's not just a anti spin or wheely system.

Both the front and rear sensors read from buttons on the brake rotors. The DTC doesn't look at engine RPMs, just the difference in wheel speed. Gearing changes don't affect the DTC system at all. If they did, the shop manual would mention it. Mine still works the same after the gearing change.

·
Registered
252 Posts
And therefore riding agressive makes the bike very nervous.

Completely agree Richy84
That part I understood (which is why I didn't quote it), but it's inconsistent with the rest.

The semantics aren't important -- I'm sure we all understand that a smaller front gear = more torque, which makes it less civilized.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts