Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Multistrada rider from Australia here. Long time lurker, the info on here is priceless, thanks for all your input.

I am about to do an M4 caliper upgrade on my 14 Multi. I have read all the fantastic info on the forum and watched the Canyon Chasers vids on this subject but have not found a firm answer to the issue of the linked ABS system on the 13-14 Multis. Is it possible to bleed the linked system in the conventional manner or does it require a trip to the dealer?

I have read conflicting opinions and hoped somebody would be kind enough to give me a definitive answer.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the reply.

Ok so the linked brakes on the 13-14 are a non issue. Just treat it the same as a 10-12? I thought it seemed odd that it would need a service computer to cycle the ABS pump for such a common maintenance requirement but these days nothing would surprise me.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And forgive my ignorance but when mentioned the caliper inversion you are referring to the rear caliper trapped air issue? I thought they improved that on the 13-14 or is it still something to watch out for?

·
Registered
925 Posts
And forgive my ignorance but when mentioned the caliper inversion you are referring to the rear caliper trapped air issue? I thought they improved that on the 13-14 or is it still something to watch out for?
You still need to invert it to get a good bleed. The improvements that you may be referring to were at the rear master cylinder fitting if I recall correctly. This didn't make any noticeable difference to my bike. and doesn't address bleeding at the caliper.

The real issue with the rear brake (oh no not another rear brake thread!) is the fluid boiling due to the high heat from the exhaust. Canyon Chasers has a video on this which is really good, discussing a more expensive fluid with a higher boiling point that they say helps a lot.

Good luck with your swap. Let us know how it went.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys. Excellent information.

Last one from me. I am getting the lines made locally as Spiegler don’t have a local Australian distributor and freight from the US makes it an expensive option.

I got the lengths and banjo pitches off the forum which is fantastic but is there any rubber bobbins required on the lines for mounting?

It shows a bobbin in the pic of the kit on the Spiegler kit in the video but its impossible to see what line they are on. Are these even required to fit the upgraded lines?

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Excellent information.

Last one from me. I am getting the lines made locally as Spiegler don’t have a local Australian distributor and freight from the US makes it an expensive option.

I got the lengths and banjo pitches off the forum which is fantastic but is there any rubber bobbins required on the lines for mounting?

It shows a bobbin in the pic of the kit on the Spiegler kit in the video but its impossible to see what line they are on. Are these even required to fit the upgraded lines?

Any info appreciated.
Ooh I think that will be a tough one to answer. Maybe a dumb question:. Any way you can pull the existing lines and have them duplicated that way?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I remember doing it to my 12 p.p with the spiegler lines and had no issues just by having the lines done with different angle banjos and different lengths but nothing else. I remember posting lengths and banjos degrees in here at the time.
Great swap IMO, 1 finger braking all day.
Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stripped off some bodywork last night in preparation for the upgrade and on the line back to the ABS pump there is a rubber bobbin where it mounts to the bottom triple clamp but as mentioned it would probably be fine without it.

My only issue is the 13-14 ABS pump is different to the 10-12 and the lines use 90 degree banjoes at the pump end. I think i should get away with a standard straight hose as the angle isn’t too acute?

Assuming anyone who did the upgrade to a 13-14 just used the same lines as Canyon Chasers specced for the 10-12 install? If not could you please chime in?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I recognize that this post is 2 years old, but I just ordered the same Spielgler lines that CanyonChasers used in their MTS1200 YouTube video. I ma upgrading to Brembo M50 calipers on my 2013 MTS Pikes Peak. Once the parts arrive, I will let you know if they are an exact fit (I hope so). :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I recognize that this post is 2 years old, but I just ordered the same Spielgler lines that CanyonChasers used in their MTS1200 YouTube video. I ma upgrading to Brembo M50 calipers on my 2013 MTS Pikes Peak. Once the parts arrive, I will let you know if they are an exact fit (I hope so). :)
Look forward to it. I still have my 2014.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I started my M50 upgrade last night using the CanyonChasers YouTube video as my roadmap.

Here is the ABS unit in my ‘13 PP. The line circled in red is the one to be replaced with the Spiegler one.

As was discussed, these lines have a 90 degree banjo. This is different from the end that was used in the CC video. If I had seen this before I ordered the kit, I probably would have asked Spiegler if they could duplicate this banjo. I think the kit I ordered will work, you just have to get a little creative with how you twist the banjo end. If they couldn’t duplicate the 90-degree banjo, I think I would have added another inch to the line. I plan on getting the line attached this afternoon and will post some pictures of how it looks with the new Spiegler line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
So here’s where I got to tonight. I got the mud flap back in place (what a b*tch!). Turns out you do have to remove the front wheel because you can’t get a torque wrench on the banjo bolts with the wheel in place.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Here is how I ran the line to the ABS unit. I didn’t follow the same route as stock because I don’t have the 90-degree banjo fitting.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Seems like a big miss on their part to get the hose that wrong. Looking good.
The hose may have been correct on their bike, which I believe was a 2012. I’m not sure. Only the 2013-2014 have the linked brakes, so maybe it’s a little different. The ABS box itself looks different than the one they had the drawing of that had the different colors.

Hoping that CycleGear has the brake fluid. I want to try and get these bled today.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts