Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am less than 2 weeks into ownership if a '14 Pikes Peak. Bike is in pristine condition, nicely modified, and has a decat pipe and SC-Project CR-T exhaust. It sounds pretty mean with that CR-T but I was hesitant to pull the trigger because of how loud it was - wasn't sure how long I could deal with that volume. Finally I convinced myself that it would be fine and bought her. After a 175 mile ride on Monday I realized that if I am going to go on longer rides I will need to address how loud it is - my ears were ringing for a couple days after that ride. I was hoping I could simply get a db killer for this muffler, but they don't make one for this competition exhaust. I cannot really just swap out cans on the same pipe either because of placement and the large inlet. Anything that will fit is probably just as loud anyways. Obviously, I should be wearing earplugs and I will see how that helps on my next ride. I never wore them in the past on other bikes as it did not seem like I needed them. I do now.

I could go out and buy a used cat to put back on the bike (I have the original slip-ons, but not the cat) and bring the exhaust back to stock, but this would seem like a shame on this bike with all the mods and I would have remap the ECU again. I am looking for full-system options like Termi, Arrow, Mivv Suono, Zard Penta Evo and even SC-Project Oval (which may be a bit quieter than CR-T). While I have found multiple videos of these exhausts in action, and can hear the character of each exhaust in the videos, I cannot really tell how loud they are compared with each other. Has anyone found a matrix that lists these full system exhausts with decibel readings for them and a comparison with stock? None of these systems are going to be cheap and I would hate to buy and install a new one and find out I still think it is too loud.

Are any of you experienced enough with these exhausts that could stack rank them for quietest to loudest? Based on what I read I would think SC-Project CR-T. SC-Project Oval, Arrow, Mivv Suono, Termi, Zard Penta Evo in that order. Then I need to determine what is quiet enough for me.... I would think any one with a db-killer installed should be, but that would just be an uneducated guess.

I apologize in advance if I missed a thread that discussed this, but I searched and struck out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw that one. Had more people responded with their readings there might be some good data for comparison, but I really just see two aftermarket systems on a DVT and one stock. I will do the readings as specified there on my bike and add them to that thread. Maybe that will spur others to do the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a bit partial to liking the quiet as I get older. Still like the performance and the weight loss of a decat pipe. While nearly every can is going to be louder than the stock system, I do have a favorite as it appears the frequency is a bit more tolerable. Arrow can is my choice.
As always, your mileage may vary on this opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a bit partial to liking the quiet as I get older. Still like the performance and the weight loss of a decat pipe. While nearly every can is going to be louder than the stock system, I do have a favorite as it appears the frequency is a bit more tolerable. Arrow can is my choice.
As always, your mileage may vary on this opinion.
The Arrow sounded nice when I heard it in a compilation video. Somehow an Arrow seems more appropriate for a Triumph, but I did like its character a bit better than the “more appropriate” Termi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a good compilation of exhausts for this bike that I found:

Frankly, they all sound pretty good, with maybe the Arrow sounding best to me when idling (at least in these videos), and maybe the QD when rev'd (the twin silencer look is also pretty nice). Still, cannot tell the relative loudness of them compared to each other or my CR-T. I actually love the way my CR-T sounds a lot, but it is so loud I cannot take it very long. For me to make a change I would want to know that one of these are quieter enough than the CR-T for me to pull the trigger.Once I put it on the bike and hear the exhaust, it is too late for me to return it.

It's funny, I always had the impression that Arrow was a British company since I always seem to see them on Triumphs, but they are Italian. I guess they must have an agreement with Triumph like Termignoni has with Ducati.

Someone recommended the Zard Penta Evo for this year Multistrada. I like the look, but I cannot find a video to hear the exhaust note on this bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also recently bought a Multistrada with a full system already installed—Termignoni in my case. I’ve got to say it was one of the main reasons I went with this bike over other multis. It’s fairly quiet at idle and just putting around, but sounds great when you give it the beans.

I haven’t heard the CR-T on a Multi, but I had a ‘17 Tuono with the CR-T and I couldn’t ride the bike outside of the track without feeling totally exposed, like all LEO within a 5 mile radius could hear me. It definitely took away from the enjoyment of the ride. I like loud (own a S4Rs with a full termi system also), but some pipes are just too loud.

I should add that the Termis come with a dB killer. Haven’t felt the need to install it, but it gives you that option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting a Leo Vince LV Pro can and decat. It has a DB killer and while being louder than stock it is much quieter than the CR-T. I still wear ear plugs, but not for the exhaust as much as the wind noise now. My ear peace with is medium filter just let in enough exhaust sound for it to be pleasant. My wife will even ride with me now, which was a big part of the reason I did it.

I think this LV exhaust fits in well with the bike and it did not break the bank either. Overall I am happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you do any tuning after you did the exhaust upgrade?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go from stock to decat you would need to tune. In my case I was switching from a SC-Project decat/can so I did not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So what tune are you running on your bike then?

I'm looking at the Leo Vince Decat for my 2012 PP, but it seems like tuning is a bit of a nightmare based on what I've been reading on here.

There are three options it seams:

1. The Ducati Race ECU that came with the Termignoni exhaust kit. (Super Expensive and hard to find now)

2. T800 Upmap ( Unreliable support from the factory if needed)

3. Rexxer Tune. ( Someone on the forums that you ship your ECU to, he tunes it, then ships it back to you)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what tune are you running on your bike then?

I'm looking at the Leo Vince Decat for my 2012 PP, but it seems like tuning is a bit of a nightmare based on what I've been reading on here.

There are three options it seams:

1. The Ducati Race ECU that came with the Termignoni exhaust kit. (Super Expensive and hard to find now)

2. T800 Upmap ( Unreliable support from the factory if needed)

3. Rexxer Tune. ( Someone on the forums that you ship your ECU to, he tunes it, then ships it back to you)
Previous owner did a Rexxer tune for the old exhaust/decat. I am using the same - runs well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Previous owner did a Rexxer tune for the old exhaust/decat. I am using the same - runs well.

He had the Rexxer box himself. Rexxer folks did the map and he applied it to the ECU with his box.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Okay thanks for responding.

I sent an email out to
[email protected] to see if they can help me out

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've got a 2013 with the Termi system and Upmap. I am quite happy with the sound and performance but the way the pipe comes around on the right and interferes with my right foot position is very annoying. I know this is not what you asked but it is something to consider.

t_bare

·
Registered
27 Posts
The SC is going to be the loudest of the bunch. I have a Termi on my ‘13 and not only does it sound great but the exhaust and tune transformed the bike. Arrow is a great exhaust and it is made in Italy so quite appropriate for the Multi.
If you decide you want to go back to a cat I have one but the shipping may not be cheap.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
If you have a lv midpipe with resonator all you really need a decent can with db killer just in case, i had the same set up on both my 12 and my 16, the 12 had a lv mid and the 16 an arrow mid without the resonator.
On the 12 i did not need a db killer bc the resonator was the major suppressor, on the 16 i left the db killer in but wasn't loud enough so i added some holes on the db killer until i found the perfect to me melody.
The 16 was tuned with a pc and works beautifully, the 12 was tuned with a bazzaz zfi and that was another slam dunk.
Cheapest way around, smooth riding, fantastic sound, i was really happy with both set up.
$.02!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to have the Mivv Suono + decat pipe set on my '11 Multi but it was too loud for my taste, especially on long trips. After a lot of searching I ended up on a new set up. That is the Spark collector iinstead of the decat pipe and termi short can instead of the Mivv Suono. The total weight of those two doesn't exceed 4kg. I also use the RapidBike evo module and I'm pretty satisfied with the result. It sounds louder than stock but much lower than all other cans with decat pipes. The only thing that bothers me a little, is some back-firing I've been experiencing at about 3500 rpm when I'm closing the throttle.. I'm working on that now in order to eliminate it.
Spark-kolektory-Ducati-Multistrada-1200-10-14.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts