Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All pre-DVT owners... my cousin found a '13 S Touring for $9999, which seems like a pretty good price. 15,000 miles, Red, the guy didn't even move the frame stickers so it pretty much looks new.

What should he be looking for... any gotcha's with the 13? I think the expanding tank issue was pre-13. I told him to see if the 15k service was done... anything else?

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
The tank issue is not confined to any one model year.

That seems a very Good price for that model. If it has up to date service records, looks and runs well, it's a bargain. There is no one specific issue to worry about that a careful eye won't find.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
Isn't '13 the first year for skyhook? Weren't there were some problems with that system?

That's a good price IMO. For reference, my dealer gave me $8500 for my base model/non ABS 2010 Multi with over 20,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't '13 the first year for skyhook? Weren't there were some problems with that system?

That's a good price IMO. For reference, my dealer gave me $8500 for my base model/non ABS 2010 Multi with over 20,000 miles on it.
That's what I thought too... seems like it's at least $1k low, which makes me think it's 15k service hasn't been done.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That's a great price IF all is ok. The thing that scares me about Skyhook is the the process that you need to do before having the bike towed and if not done right then it can damage the suspension components. That's my understanding of it anyway, so, I would definitely have it checked out before buying. I believe the porous heads were made btwn 2010-12 so you're ok. With that age (3yrs old bike now), I would want the FULL service; fork oil, tires etc... Other than that, go for it!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
That's a great price IF all is ok. The thing that scares me about Skyhook is the the process that you need to do before having the bike towed and if not done right then it can damage the suspension components. That's my understanding of it anyway, so, I would definitely have it checked out before buying. I believe the porous heads were made btwn 2010-12 so you're ok. With that age (3yrs old bike now), I would want the FULL service; fork oil, tires etc... Other than that, go for it!
What are you supposed to do to prep the skyhook for towing? I have not heard of this. It doesn't surprise me that some sort of witch doctor rain dance might have to be performed, based on experience with my bike, but just asking.

Reactions: DaveK

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
What are you supposed to do to prep the skyhook for towing? I have not heard of this. It doesn't surprise me that some sort of witch doctor rain dance might have to be performed, based on experience with my bike, but just asking.
A quick search brought these two up. Have a read. I'm not sure how likely it is for damage to occur because I haven't read or heard anything of the sort on any skyhook bikes. So that's good news!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/277393-skyhook-suspension-towing.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/207897-transporting-13-multi-skyhook-suspension.html

·
Registered
490 Posts
A quick search brought these two up. Have a read. I'm not sure how likely it is for damage to occur because I haven't read or heard anything of the sort on any skyhook bikes. So that's good news!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/277393-skyhook-suspension-towing.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/207897-transporting-13-multi-skyhook-suspension.html
Really? Someone is concerned about skyhook because of towing? Man, those guys built a motorcycle that can not be towed? :) Now seriously, it is no big deal. I have had mine towed twice (flat tire beyond repair - 3 inch cut). I had it towed from where it happened to my house and the next couple of days from house to the dealer. No damage whatsoever.

And about being a first year... there was a problem with the zip-tying of wires to a the rear accelerometer/sensor, fixed under warranty. Second, there was a TSB on the front forks. There was an instruction for dealer to measure front fork length at two positions. Mine were (was, only left fork) changed under warranty. Nothing else. (there is a guy complaining about wiring creating a DSS error - a recurring error on his bike). Has anyone heard of anything else? I would not buy a bike without semi-active suspension after having this one.

·
Registered
490 Posts
All pre-DVT owners... my cousin found a '13 S Touring for $9999, which seems like a pretty good price. 15,000 miles, Red, the guy didn't even move the frame stickers so it pretty much looks new.

What should he be looking for... any gotcha's with the 13? I think the expanding tank issue was pre-13. I told him to see if the 15k service was done... anything else?
15K service done? That should be included on the price setting. That sercice's a bruiser... I hear. Mine is at 10K now and I already brace myself for it...

·
Registered
592 Posts
If bike and service records are in order that,s a great price , I was offered $12,500 Canadian by dealer on a trade in on a 2016 APE 3 months ago , but couldn,t bring myself to part with my 2011 S . Fantastic bike ,love it more every year .

·
Registered
139 Posts
You may be able to find a brand new 14 at $15k or less. Zero miles. no 15k service looming. full warranty. Might be worth it.

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
You may be able to find a brand new 14 at $15k or less. Zero miles. no 15k service looming. full warranty. Might be worth it.
That's true, but you can also look at it this way: the difference between ten and fifteen thousand bucks is 50%. Also, I think 15K out the door for a new left over S might be tough to achieve. No doubt the 15K service can alter the equation, but even if it's around $1500, that still leaves a $3500 difference on a ten thousand dollar purchase; 35% differential. That's a lot of money if you don't have the extra $3500.

As everybody here has said: the difference between a good deal and a great deal is the service record. But even adding the service requirement, it's still a decent deal.

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're at the dealer now... Bike is in good shape, fuel sensor is errored out so we're checking on how much that will cost.

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bought for $9200... 13 Red S Touring, 15,700 miles, needs 15k service, needs fuel sending unit... Runs and rides great.

Man the seats on the pre-dvt 1200's are like stone!

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Good job. You even got 800 off the price. Enjoy.
My cousin bought it... I'll stay with my DVT for now. But now there are now 2 MTS's in the riding group... we're taking over! Now he's trying to get everything done before next weekend when we're touring Vermont then up to Algonquin and around to Toronto and Niagra Falls.

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here it is:

Other than the seat, bike felt very similar to me. The next most noticeable difference was that the suspension was firmer at the same settings (a LOT firmer). I can get the 15 to be as stiff by going up above the defaults... and we got the 13 softer by going below the defaults, but if you ride with default settings you might get the impression that the 13 is more sport and 15 more touring - which is not really the case.

Accel and handling wise they felt close enough to be meaningless for road use... certainly as we already know the USA imported '15 doesn't have 10/10 on the pre-dvt bikes. Stock vs. stock the DVT might have a tiny bit more at the top end, but it's pretty hard to tell on the street when both bikes are traction limited and you're in license threatening territory in second gear.

The way the seat attaches on the 13 is a bit of a pita... I pulled it off thinking it was like the 15 and then we had to figure out how to get those two tabs aligned to put it back on, there must be a trick to it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Man I thought I got a good deal on my 2011 Touring S with 3300 miles on it at $9650.00

1 - 20 of 24 Posts