Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Trying to sort out a check engine light that's come on. Bike is new to me as if 4 hours ago. Previous owner said Check Engine Light came on after battery was replaced, just a few days ago. Light doesn't seem to want to go out. It pops on after the suspension does its preload calibration. Each and every time you turn the key in the bike does this calibration where you can hear a motor on the rear shock reservoir run for close to 30 seconds, then the CEL comes on. Is this normal for the motor to run for so long(with "DSS Pre Load Calibration, please wait" displayed) at each start-up or could this potentially be the cause of my CEL? No error codes pop up on the dash when this happens.
All input welcomed.
Kevin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. My 13 muti has not ever displayed what your describing. Also the motor for rear preload does not turn on unless I make changes to ride mode or changes to suspension settings. There was a recall on wiring around the swing arm which was installed to tight on 13's but I don't know if that is your problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, JDan.
Intetesting. Your bike doesn't cycle the rear preload pump/motor at startup each time? This can be a clue! Not sure this is what's causing my CEL, but something to be looked at for sure.
Kevin

·
Registered
173 Posts
You may be hearing the exhaust valve butterfly cycling at startup. Sounds like "zippp-zing" . Pull the muff cover and you can see it. It should pull the cable and go back at power up. If it is not going the full stroke or the valve is stuck this could be your problem. It will throw a fault. Search on this forum for more info and how to disable the exhaust valve.
Cheers
Stevo

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Stevo. I'll dig into that exhaust valve too. But in this case, it's definately the rear shock preload motor spinning as I can feel it buzz when I grab it (and no noticeable change in height as it runs for 30 sec.)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've got a 2013, I have seen the "Calibrating" screen a couple of times in the the 25k i've ridden it. It seems to pop up at random and makes me go "Hmmm." Every time it just does its thing and goes back to normal. I'd start by going through all of the fork and shock wire connections. Also all the fuses and connections around the battery. Unfortunately there is no cheap easy way to access the the ECU.

t_bare

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exhaust servo checks out. Getting bike scanned tomorrow. Took her for a quick spin to see if a quick blast would reset things. It didn't, but it did run quite hot only to find out the radiator was bone dry. Good times. This bike will be a challenge, I see. Good thing I like challanges. I'm up for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts