Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first spring the old girl has not fired up first or second try. The horizontal plug is wet with fuel so it's getting gas but there seems to be no spark. I took the tank off and emptied all the old fuel, installed new spark plugs, checked the air filter, checked the coil connections, checked all the fuses, cleaned up the ground on the side of the case....

Is there a relay somewhere I should replace? Suggestions please.

TIA

Colin

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is the first spring the old girl has not fired up first or second try. The horizontal plug is wet with fuel so it's getting gas but there seems to be no spark. I took the tank off and emptied all the old fuel, installed new spark plugs, checked the air filter, checked the coil connections, checked all the fuses, cleaned up the ground on the side of the case....

Is there a relay somewhere I should replace? Suggestions please.

TIA

Colin
Did you confirm that the new spark plugs are producing a spark?

·
Sophomore Member
2,687 Posts
Just because the plug is wet doesn't mean you aren't getting a spark. You could be getting a weak spark (yellowish color) or getting a strong spark (blue), but at the wrong time.

Check the plug outside of the engine to see if its getting spark. Have the plug in the coil or spark plug wire, ground it to the engine, and turn over the engine watching for spark.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still won't start

Yes, there is a spark in the horizontal cylinder, have not yet checked the vertical cylinder cause the fuel tank has to come off.

Is there a fuel filter on the fuel pump assembly inside the tank like there was on the old St's? I wonder if it's just not getting enough fuel...

TIA for any suggestions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yuck, just checked the Ducati Omaha parts pages and the whole fuel pump assembly is described as a flange and cost $1123US! Hope it's something else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hadn't looked at the non starting HS in a couple of weeks but when I did, yesterday, noticed I'd managed to seriously overfill with oil when I put her to bed last fall. I also wondered if I'd pinched the fuel line when last reinstalling the tank after checking and changing sparkplugs.

So I drained off about .6L of oil, drained and removed the tank and once again checked plugs. I'd tried firing it up using Sea Foam and wanted to see if the plugs were wet with oil or gunk. The plugs did look a little oily so I cleaned them up and blew a bunch of compressed air over them. Reinstalled the tank taking care with the fuel line making sure it was in its slot and clip and refilled tank with fresh gas.

Engine turns over but won't fire, same as before. Sigh... any more suggestions?

TIA
Colin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe something stupid but my hyper had a bad kill switch.. If i turned it on because I accidentally touched it. I had to switch it back verry hard to have contact :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
The streetfighters were prone to a loose fuel line inside the tank from the fuel pump. A symptom would be cranking but not starting. With fuel inside, you can see swirling if the fuel line is disconnected. I wonder if the HS had the same cheap connectors. The fix is simple. You can check for youtube videos of the 848. The symptoms sounds the same - cranking but not starting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever get your problem figured out? - I had a ton of issues and it was the 2 relays under the seat. See if they look like they got overly hot and if so replace them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts