Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
So you want a $75,000 super exotic bike to ride on the track. To what end? A $3500 hashed out 748 will give you just as much fun without the ulcer that you'll get when you toss your SL down the tarmac. And I'm not sure how many track days you've done but those things are never a bigger better party - the reality is if you show up with panigale - any panigale, and you are not the fastest guy on the track every other rider is going to be laughing at you. "look at that rich dork on his fancy super fast ducati"

I've done track days on a dozen different bikes and honestly when you are out there on the bike it doesn't matter what you are riding - what matters is you, the track, and your ability. You are concentrating on your riding so much that the type of bike you are on just disappears. Track days are not about profiling, that just makes you look like a poser. A real race prepped humble bike will be a lot more fun in the long run and you might also make a few friends instead of being the track joke.
Well said. I have wanted to take my 999R to the track, at least one time, just to see what she could do. But, I then realized the bike would never reach it's full potential because I was the limiting factor. The thought of twisting the throttle and possibly throwing the bike to the pavement would be a disaster and I have done that twice before riding other bikes at the track. I would likely hold back on the bike and if that's the case, why take it there in the first place just to cruise around? I had much more fun railing around on my Supersport and later an even better track bike, my Honda 600RR. Even if I had money to burn, I would not have responded any differently in regards to taking my 999R to the track.

Buy whatever you want, but please don't take either to the track unless you are prepared to wring their necks. I got the initial impression we were talking to a newbie that just got an inheritance or hit the lottery, something was being held back, but now I see that is not the case.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I got the initial impression we were talking to a newbie that just got an inheritance or hit the lottery, something was being held back, but now I see that is not the case.
I don’t think we know anything about the OP Other than he is “not an expert track rider.” So you might be correct. Or you might not be. Until the OP gives us any background, no one really knows.

Reactions: rawyn1

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
The D16 never ever impressed me. I looked after one for an owner who went overseas for three months and after a couple of weeks of riding it in the twisties it didn’t impress. Not for the money anyway.
I don’t think we know anything about the OP Other than he is “not an expert track rider.” So you might be correct. Or you might not be. Until the OP gives us any background, no one really knows.
Who really cares if he’s a beginner an expert or a wanker. As long as he’s having fun on the track on a bike he likes to ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey Sherpa, thanks for your replies.
well, I’m not an expert racer. I’ve been riding bikes since 12, I’m now 30. my first road bike was an Aprilia 50cc (14yo), then Aprilia Rs125cc, Ktm 150, then monster 625 and now I own a Panigale 959(with a bunch of stuff on it e.g. Austin racing exhaust), monster 821 , bmw 1250GS, KTM 250SXF. I always wanted to get into the racing world when I was a kid but my parents didn’t agree and so I took another course of life events. That’s my background.

Now, regarding all the other dudes on the track and what they might think of someone riding an SL or any other sports vehicles- (pardon my french) I could not give a flying fuck about them- really who cares, ppl will always be judgmental no matter what and bottom line they don’t pay my bills.

The first SL I saw was the 1199. I’ll never forget that moment, I was in awe, such a beautiful machine. Now, remember the film “the gladiator”when Maximus gazes up to the colosseum- that’s what I felt the first time I saw the SL 1299, it was so majestic and intimidating that it scared the shit out of me and that made the bike even more beautiful. Anyway that’s when I said to my self, I’ll get it one day (when I have the money) and started saving up pretty much every chance I had. I never hit the lottery, though I wish :) and I didn’t inherit a single Benjamin, I simply worked. And even if I shit so much money like a Sheik, or inherited a shit ton of gold, who cares, there is nothing wrong with having money.

·
Bon Vivant
10,795 Posts
Everybody says they dont give shirt what other people think - but here we are on a forum trying to find out what other people think... otherwise you all wouldnt be here. The OP asked the question, he asked for opinions, so he obviously wants to know what others think. We are all here because we want to know what other people think.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
......but I’m really not sure whether I should go for the v4r or 1299SL......

Thank you
He asked which of the two bikes he was looking at would you choose. Really not even that. He asked for help deciding which of the two HE should buy.

That’s all.

It never fails. Someone asks should They buy the Dunlop Q3 or Q4 and everyone starts telling them there stupid for wanting either. Pilot Road 5 is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Bon Vivant
10,795 Posts
He asked which of the two bikes he was looking at would you choose. Really not even that. He asked for help deciding which of the two HE should buy.

That’s all.

It never fails. Someone asks should They buy the Dunlop Q3 or Q4 and everyone starts telling them there stupid for wanting either. Pilot Road 5 is the way to go.

I really dont see a problem with that, sometimes its good to hear about other options that you may not have considered.

·
Registered
292 Posts

That’s all.

If it's all about him, why is he asking us? Our opinions/preferences/riding-servicing experiences have squat to do with his experience/location/intended use/prevailing conditions/mechanical ability/dealer location and or qualifications yada yada.

He might be a she (Rawyn = Raewyn, popular NZ/Oz name in years gone by) in which case the fact she has no balls to roast and baste over the open fire of a Ducati exhaust could be of quite some importance.

And besides, when my Mum asked me whether I wanted beans or brussel sprouts with dinner, "neither" was a perfectly valid response.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Problem with 1299SL is the motor rebuilds.. I can't speak for a V4R but I can speak to the 1299SL motor. Google 1299SL or Panigale R rebuild, blow-by, oil consumption, etc. and you'll find plenty.. Yes it is a race motor, yes I understand this is expected to a degree, etc. but it's annoying and expensive if you plan to put miles on the bike..

2015 Panigale R Motor Blown?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all

i recently purchased a 2015 panigale 1299s.

I parked it only to find it tipped over on the right side. Camera footage showed someone pushing down.

anyway, the right mirror broke. My friend that has ducati 1299 had a spare mirror. I rode the bike to his place and parked it.

while we were trying to install the rigth side mirror I pulled the handle towards the right to get more space to install the mirror.

the throttle aluminum bar just broke off. it was probably cracked from the tip over.

we ordered the new bar and installed the throttle and the rest.

tried to start the bike and it only cranks but does not start. I have charged the battery and it does the same thing

red few forums that talk about the throttle but nothing similar to what happened to me.

i hope someone has any idea what is going on

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hello Dgermenji, welcome to the forum
I'd suggest starting your own thread with it's own thread title indicating your problem.
You'll probably get more attention to your question that way.
This question of yours is quite a ways off this particular thread topic

Never mind, my bad, I went further down the thread list and saw that you already have posted your own thread!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone, I hope you’re all doing good.
I recently came across a 1299 SL at a great price, super low mileage (under 500) and got me very exited as it is the bike that I reverse image search email checker port checker always dreamed of and I’m very keen to get it. I like the new V4 line up too but I’m really not sure whether I should go for the v4r or 1299SL.
(why not v4SL? too expensive)
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Those SL are two of the finest machines Ducati has ever produced, imo, and I would likely do terrible things to good people to get my hands on one!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts