Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What are you using either of these bikes for?

If you are an expert racer with a sponsorship and a team either would be a good starting point for a race bike on an unlimited budget, but in that case you would already know which bike suits your team's goals.

If you are a collector you should get both. but the SL is going to be a bit more exclusive in the long run.

If you want to ride it to starbucks to show off to your buddies they most likely wouldn't know what they are looking at or the difference between the bikes - the V4 might be more impressive. But an S would probably have the same impact.

If you are buying a bike to ride in any meaningful way both are wrong. These are race bikes loaded with extremely expensive exotic parts that will not live long in a street environment. Service will be stupidly expensive and riding along at 30 or 40 MPH will be torturous to both you and the bike. Buy a Pani S to ride and the Super Leggera to put in your office.
flynbulldog- thanks for your reply.
I’m not expert racer and would ride the bike mostly on the track

·
Bon Vivant
10,791 Posts
flynbulldog- thanks for your reply.
So you want a $75,000 super exotic bike to ride on the track. To what end? A $3500 hashed out 748 will give you just as much fun without the ulcer that you'll get when you toss your SL down the tarmac. And I'm not sure how many track days you've done but those things are never a bigger better party - the reality is if you show up with panigale - any panigale, and you are not the fastest guy on the track every other rider is going to be laughing at you. "look at that rich dork on his fancy super fast ducati"

I've done track days on a dozen different bikes and honestly when you are out there on the bike it doesn't matter what you are riding - what matters is you, the track, and your ability. You are concentrating on your riding so much that the type of bike you are on just disappears. Track days are not about profiling, that just makes you look like a poser. A real race prepped humble bike will be a lot more fun in the long run and you might also make a few friends instead of being the track joke.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
And good for you! I think that's awesome! When I'm at the track and see someone show up with a bike like these my first thought is cool, that's exactly what they were built for. I don't care how fast you are I think it's just great that you appreciate the bike and aren't afraid to ride it. I'd much rather see those bikes out running around the track than put up in someone's living room.

·
Bon Vivant
10,791 Posts
And good for you! I think that's awesome! When I'm at the track and see someone show up with a bike like these my first thought is cool, that's exactly what they were built for. I don't care how fast you are I think it's just great that you appreciate the bike and aren't afraid to ride it. I'd much rather see those bikes out running around the track than put up in someone's living room.
I wish that was more my experience - but it hasnt been.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
So you want a $75,000 super exotic bike to ride on the track. To what end? A $3500 hashed out 748 will give you just as much fun without the ulcer that you'll get when you toss your SL down the tarmac. And I'm not sure how many track days you've done but those things are never a bigger better party - the reality is if you show up with panigale - any panigale, and you are not the fastest guy on the track every other rider is going to be laughing at you. "look at that rich dork on his fancy super fast ducati"

I've done track days on a dozen different bikes and honestly when you are out there on the bike it doesn't matter what you are riding - what matters is you, the track, and your ability. You are concentrating on your riding so much that the type of bike you are on just disappears. Track days are not about profiling, that just makes you look like a poser. A real race prepped humble bike will be a lot more fun in the long run and you might also make a few friends instead of being the track joke.
I understand you completely. And The Time Machine has passed the 1199SL in the corners, as well as Rs and other premium machines. But, if he wants an SL and can afford the SL, so what. I say have at it. Maybe there is more fun riding the SL than a 748 at the same pace. I won't ever know. At least not on my current projection of earning in ratio to producing chilrden. Maybe he rips and knows the limitations of the Honda Fireblade over the R1. Or the RCS on the 1000RR. Maybe he is a squid. I don't know. What I do read to know is that he is willing to track an SL, and that's a good thing to me... even if it breaks hist heart on a low-side.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I was trying to be nice my friend by not pointing out the obvious 😁.
I appreciate that.

And I thought you knew me well enough😞
In my defense, I'm American, and therefore notoriously terrible when it comes to geography.

Funny story, somewhat related... my mom was an English professor and was a stickler for what she considered essential skills, e.g., she taught me "touch typing", and I can still crank out between 60-70 wpm. Anyway, she was always on me with regards to geography, which bored me to tears.

I can specifically remember a lengthy argument we had over the memorization of global and national geographical borders, capitals, etc. Her contention was that it was important to know where you are, and what was around you. My response was that stuff was only important if you were a contestant on Jeopardy. I argued that if I was piloting an aircraft, and there was an issue that required "debugging", it was FAR more important to be able to solve the problem, than it was to know where you happened to be, geographically, at that point in time, with the only spatial consideration being to ensure that you had enough altitude between you and any geographic structure that could potentially lead to a rather sudden and abrupt deceleration. ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

You're not necessarily wrong with the point you make here flynbulldog, but I do have to accuse you of excessive pragmatism
Remember, this is DUCATI .ms, not KLR650.ms..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
As usual the OP has disappeared. Do you think we scare these people away? haha 🥴 Come on back Thurston we all want to see your new superleggera !
Post a pic a the track with your shiny new Ducati branded leathers too!
Haha no ive been diligently following everything you say :)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts

I wish that was more my experience - but it hasnt been.
You know, I like taking my limited bikes to the track when I get the chance. I think every single one of them has done some track time except for the Desmosedici. Maybe someone said "look at that rich dork on his fancy super fast Ducati" or maybe they didn't. I honestly could not give one single fuck. I bought the bikes that I bought to ride and enjoy how I see fit and I enjoy the heck out of them. They're used properly and maintained even more properly and I try my best to keep them in nicer condition than the day I got them. But what doesn't change is that I use them how I see fit and if someone else has a problem with that, well I think that's their problem and not mine.

But if you're the least bit unusual for someone else's standards, there will be comments on opinions and again, I don't give one single fuck. For example, a couple of weeks ago I went to the track and it was very cold - 38 degrees when we started- and we had rain in the forecast. I couldn't bring one of my dedicated track bikes and so my plan initially was to take my Superleggera as I wanted some time with it on that track but with the cold and possibility of rain I changed my mind at the last minute and took my 900 Supersport. I usually use that bike for touring but I figured with 71hp and Michelin 2CT's, it's probably good on a cold damp track. Well, it was cold but the sun came out and so did all the big bikes. I was down over 50hp on the next closest bike in my run group and over 100hp on most of them. I got a good amount of comments about taking "that old thing" out on the track in the run group I was in. Well, I passed a good number of people in every session (especially through the more technical sections) which annoyed some people and delighted others. Of course I got passed a good amount on the long straights too but it didn't stop me from having a super time. And I didn’t get any more “that old thing” comments after that.

People should buy what they want that they can ride properly and have fun with. People will always have all kinds of opinions but at the end of the day, we should all ride what we want to ride and not what a bunch of strangers think we should ride.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
People should buy what they want that they can ride properly and have fun with. People will always have all kinds of opinions but at the end of the day, we should all ride what we want to ride and not what a bunch of strangers think we should ride.
Truth, Sherpa, truth!
Just as we should all walk in life!
This may not be the place, or the thread, but I'll say it anyways, to add to Sherpa's point
I'd say overall we're a pretty damn judgemental lot, us motorcyclists. We like to divide ourselves down to the narrowest of categories, and even within those, gawd forbid if you have too much unscrubbed tire on your very expensive superbike!
To paraphrase the song from the sixties, what the world needs now is acceptance, sweet acceptance, and much much less judgement!
K, I'm done. If you didn't like it, blame it on the Willy Nelson, the wine, and the news from the last ten or so days

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Truth, Sherpa, truth!
Just as we should all walk in life!
This may not be the place, or the thread, but I'll say it anyways, to add to Sherpa's point
I'd say overall we're a pretty damn judgemental lot, us motorcyclists. We like to divide ourselves down to the narrowest of categories, and even within those, gawd forbid if you have too much unscrubbed tire on your very expensive superbike!
To paraphrase the song from the sixties, what the world needs now is acceptance, sweet acceptance, and much much less judgement!
K, I'm done. If you didn't like it, blame it on the Willy Nelson, the wine, and the news from the last ten or so days
Add I'll add one more point to yours:

Yes, I have a bunch of RS's and factory track bikes. Yes I take them to the track. However, I also take my road bikes to the track from time to time - the Superleggera, 996R and 998R, 1098R, etc. because in spite of some great roads, that's the place to get a real feel and enjoy them.

People will say "but you shouldn't do that because they're so nice and something can happen." Well, last I checked, I wasn't racing anyone and I control the throttle and brakes. I don't have to ride at 10/10's. 8/10th's is plenty exciting enough. If I go to the track with my friends and people that I trust and I stay within my limits, it's way safer than the road. So are people saying not to ride them on the road either? So they're saying just leave them on display in my living room? But aren't these the same people who say bikes are meant to the ridden and only losers would leave them at home and on display? Oh wait, that's not right: the losers are the ones to take these to the track because they're just rich posers.

Anyways, I hope that I'm making my point here. Do whatever you want to do. I can't speak for anyone else but I work my ass off for every cent I have and sometimes the only thing that gets me out of my work mind and busy brain is riding and having fun at the track. I'm never going to offer myself a lesser opportunity to enjoy myself because of someone else's opinion and what I should or shouldn't do.

If you can ride, ride what you want to ride that you enjoy riding the most.

Reactions: bbradsby and xracer

·
Bon Vivant
10,791 Posts
Yeah man I agree with all of this - ride what you want, treat your exotics the way you want and who cares what people say. Yes we are a judgemental lot and I'm no exception. My statement above was meant to be tongue in cheek as I was feeling a little cheeky when I posted it. But you guys are right, and Damn Sherpa I'd love to be at the track with you when any one of those exceptional bikes come out.

But I will tell you I've been the focus of those "rich dork" comments on more than one occasion when I've tracked several of my bikes. - and probably at the same track you frequent. I'm not the fastest rider so that doesnt help when I'm riding a 1098R.

But Sherpa you also help make one of my points - a 900SS can be just as much fun to push around the track as anything else. I've found that, at least for me, the type of bike has very little to do with my enjoyment of track riding.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Mike, I did not take any of that personally or as if you directed them to me. I know what point you were making. I just wanted to provide a real life counterpoint because it’s easy to get caught up in the popular opinion or common mantra.

I’m not super fast either. Depending on the format, i am either a slower advanced group guy or a faster intermediate rider. Many people are much faster. But I don’t think anyone has more fun.

it’s too bad you don’t live in Colorado anymore because we would have a good time. Here are some random pictures of me at the track with from various days on an array of limited road bikes

DB61D1A2-F9D6-4170-B428-320DA3885243.jpeg
6B111F7B-C77E-4130-8015-2DB6BA47BD72.jpeg
4E7ECC59-AD54-401D-99C7-7975B6686B16.jpeg
673AC238-D67A-43FE-BBB3-CD22ABD1DD9D.jpeg
30B0B57A-7787-4E18-8E9D-2BE90383844C.jpeg

·
Registered
212 Posts
The V4R is more of a everyday bike compared to to the SL . The SL will be more valuable in the long run . That said my buddy bought both and has the new SL 4 ordered .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Funny, if I was swimming at that end of the financial pool I wouldn’t look twice at either of them as I walked/ran to the shopping aisle marked “D16”.
Note: Sherpa, please don’t ruin my dream with your reality. I’m quite happy in my alternate universe where a D16 waits patiently in the garage while I discuss the finer points of anatomy with Jennifer Connelly....

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Funny, if I was swimming at that end of the financial pool I wouldn’t look twice at either of them as I walked/ran to the shopping aisle marked “D16”.
Note: Sherpa, please don’t ruin my dream with your reality. I’m quite happy in my alternate universe where a D16 waits patiently in the garage while I discuss the finer points of anatomy with Jennifer Connelly....
D16RR is not a hype machine. It’s the real deal. I never understood it until I got mine.

Now if only I could shed any sort of light on Jennifer Connelly...

·
Registered
multistrada 1200s touring
2 Posts
(y) I enjoyed that read it's nice to listen to sane people have a discussion. now time for a ride on the multistrada. stay safe brothers and sisters.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts