Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently picked up a 2016 Panigale. Its an awesome bike and a great deal. Having time to nit-pick it more, I am noticing little things that I don't like. I'm still happy with my purchase, I'm looking for some comfort with a question I have.

The number stamped on the bottom of my engine cases does not match the VIN number. The engine has all the proper cases for a 1299, and although it has been 10 years since I rode a "big bike", the power feels to me like a 1299 engine.

Is the number stamped on the bottom of the cases near the starter (per Ducati manual) supposed to match my VIN? It is written as engine identification number in different sites I've seen. So is it not a VIN stamp, but a engine ID?

Just looking for the warm fuzzy feeling in my purchase. Please everyone stay happy and healthy out there is this odd time in history.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Is the number stamped on the bottom of the cases near the starter (per Ducati manual) supposed to match my VIN? It is written as engine identification number in different sites I've seen. So is it not a VIN stamp, but a engine ID?
There are two numbers: the engine number and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) stamped on the headstock. They do not match. They encode different information. The Ducati Maintenance Manual explains:
Picture 2020-03-26 at 2.07.58 PM.jpg

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are two numbers: the engine number and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) stamped on the headstock. They do not match. They encode different information. The Ducati Maintenance Manual explains: View attachment 981942
Thank you. That is exactly the answer I was hoping for and figured, but I was confused when I saw the different numbers. My numbers read, 4BYG xxxxxx. So I’m assuming 4BY is 1299? G if same year data as a VIN is 2016?

Sorry if this had been discussed somewhere, I did search and found conflicting info. I did not get books with the bike, I do plan to order them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts