Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question...I am a new owner of a 1260S and I love the bike. My second Ducati...I only have 500 miles on the odometer and the fuel reserve light went on indicating a range of 40 miles left...hmmm

When I fueled up the bike, it took only took 3.5 US gallons which means the fuel reserve light came on almost 1.8 gallons early. Anyone else experience this issue and is it normal for this bike?

Fuel guage showed just under a quarter tank left. I am not sure why the light would engage so early but in either event I am trying to determine the bikes range when the light goes off. Any input would be appreciated...thanks!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Part of the problem is the shape of the MTS gas tank, which makes it difficult to fill to max capacity. Try filling the tank on the kickstand some time, then put the bike on the center stand and see all the air in your tank.

I put just over 4 gallons of fuel in my 1260S one time, and I was very low on fuel. I know that not because the gauge told me so, but because I could hear the gas sloshing around before I filled up. The gauge had just hit 0 miles remaining.

Seems like Ducati measures the raw fluid volume of the tank at 5.2 gallons, but doesn't account for the fact that A) the fuel pickup isn't in the bottom of the tank, so you will lose fuel pressure before the tank is empty and B) the last 2 liters or so of space is nearly unusable due to the tank shape.

In any case, after 2 years of ownership I'm convinced there is no way to burn much more than 4 gallons of fuel per fill.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of the problem is the shape of the MTS gas tank, which makes it difficult to fill to max capacity. Try filling the tank on the kickstand some time, then put the bike on the center stand and see all the air in your tank.

I put just over 4 gallons of fuel in my 1260S one time, and I was very low on fuel. I know that not because the gauge told me so, but because I could hear the gas sloshing around before I filled up. The gauge had just hit 0 miles remaining.

Seems like Ducati measures the raw fluid volume of the tank at 5.2 gallons, but doesn't account for the fact that A) the fuel pickup isn't in the bottom of the tank, so you will lose fuel pressure before the tank is empty and B) the last 2 liters or so of space is nearly unusable due to the tank shape.

In any case, after 2 years of ownership I'm convinced there is no way to burn much more than 4 gallons of fuel per fill.
Thanks that answers my question perfectly....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I generally get a low fuel alert at about 160 miles, which is about 1/4 of a tank.
Likewise 1/4 tank the fuel light engages...but I have only been averaging about 35 mpg...

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
The tank holds 5.2 gal but the ecu usually shows "0 miles left" with around .5 gal left IIRC (a pretty significant amount). The reason for that is because that gas is used to cool the fuel pump I'm told... you can use it if needed but probably not good to use it frequently. So generally you have at least 20 miles left even when the dash says zero (I've gone 12 miles on 0 and still not run out before). The fuel light comes on with the dash reading between 40 and 50 miles left until 0 on my bike (I think it's when you have a bit under a gal left before you hit the "fuel pump cooling reserve".

I'll often fill up with "under 10 miles" left based on the ecu readout - generally takes 4.6gal at that point.

It's a little weird but you get used to it pretty quick, for touring I really like the additional range info you get on the Multi compared to my older bikes. It's really needed because depending on riding conditions the touring range I get per tank ranges from 140 to 230 miles on a tank (that is on the 4.6 gal you get before hitting the "0 miles left" indication. Pretty huge distribution in fuel economy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tank holds 5.2 gal but the ecu usually shows "0 miles left" with around .5 gal left IIRC (a pretty significant amount). The reason for that is because that gas is used to cool the fuel pump I'm told... you can use it if needed but probably not good to use it frequently. So generally you have at least 20 miles left even when the dash says zero (I've gone 12 miles on 0 and still not run out before). The fuel light comes on with the dash reading between 40 and 50 miles left until 0 on my bike (I think it's when you have a bit under a gal left before you hit the "fuel pump cooling reserve".

I'll often fill up with "under 10 miles" left based on the ecu readout - generally takes 4.6gal at that point.

It's a little weird but you get used to it pretty quick, for touring I really like the additional range info you get on the Multi compared to my older bikes. It's really needed because depending on riding conditions the touring range I get per tank ranges from 140 to 230 miles on a tank (that is on the 4.6 gal you get before hitting the "0 miles left" indication. Pretty huge distribution in fuel economy!
Great answer thanks!!! I tour once or twice per year and while I will gas up early and often there can be times when no gas is available....good to know...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts