Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched and didn't see anything so wanted to see if anyone has had issues with the 1260 quickshifter? I've had it happen numerous times at various throttle positions where the QS will almost act like its stuck but wont shift. When it happens it bucks you forward hard. It happens during a shift as you lift the shifter to go up in gear, it will kill the RPM yet not pull into gear and I get launched forward.

Its happened several times, I have used a QS before both aftermarket and OEM on my Panigale but this one may need some updating. I haven't taken it in for service on it but was curious if anyone had input. Maybe I need an update. I picked up the bike in May and have about 3k on the clock.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm hoping there is a code update for it eventually. It's an adequate QS at best, and I've taken to not using it on upshifts at all, it's just too unpredictable. The manual says it's only supposed to be used with the throttle off, not sure if that is CYA language they've included with the Panigale too, I hope so. A QS that can't be used with the throttle on, is not a QS at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping there is a code update for it eventually. It's an adequate QS at best, and I've taken to not using it on upshifts at all, it's just too unpredictable. The manual says it's only supposed to be used with the throttle off, not sure if that is CYA language they've included with the Panigale too, I hope so. A QS that can't be used with the throttle on, is not a QS at all.
My 899 never had this issue is why it was more suprising. When its working it is so nice but when your on a hard acceleration and it bucks you it is scary. Like kissing cloth scary!

·
Registered
658 Posts
On my 1260 it seems like the QS does not like upshifts below 6k rpms, I don't use unless I accelerate above that threshold. I'd imagine it may be difficult to get a QS to be real smooth on a big twin but this is my first bike with a QS so nothing to compare to

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had exactly this happen the other day on my 1260 shifting from 5th to 6th under hard acceleration at high speed. Felt like I clicked into gear and the bike crouched like a runner at a starting line for a moment and then shot off.

My mechanic advised the following for the 1260 quickshifter: use on upshifts only under hard acceleration and only between 2nd and 5th. Use on downshifts only with the throttle fully off.

I’ve noticed that pretty much all of my DQS problems have involved first or 6th gear.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think the problem with the 1260 QS is that it's programmed to work, no matter what. Every other bike I've ridden with a QS, in certain situations it doesn't function. Deceleration downshift from 2-1 is a good example, since IIRC that is not a fully synchronized gear change. On a Tuneboy QS equipped bike, it will usually not make that shift without the clutch, unless you've fiddled with the timings. The amount of spark cut required to match rotational speed is beyond what the program will allow.

In contrast, the 1260 seems to dynamically cut the spark for whatever length of time is required to make the clutchless shift happen, without consideration that doing so can lead to a destabilizing lurch. I'm sure someone would complain about it either way, but I prefer the way the Tuneboy system works. Maybe I don't get the shift I wanted, but it's not trying to buck me off the bike, either.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This honestly sounds like the same issue some of the V4 riders are having. My buddy had the problem and posted a picture of his dash when it goes wrong:

Mine did not have the QS issue, but there's been enough reports of them being faulty that maybe they had a bad batch of them (and maybe it's traveled to the 1260 with that batch). The fix on the V4 has been to replace the QS entirely.

Reference thread:

https://www.panigalev4club.com/forum/699-ducati-panigale-v4s/1166-quick-shifter-issues.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
This honestly sounds like the same issue some of the V4 riders are having. My buddy had the problem and posted a picture of his dash when it goes wrong:

Mine did not have the QS issue, but there's been enough reports of them being faulty that maybe they had a bad batch of them (and maybe it's traveled to the 1260 with that batch). The fix on the V4 has been to replace the QS entirely.

Reference thread:

https://www.panigalev4club.com/forum/699-ducati-panigale-v4s/1166-quick-shifter-issues.html
Hmm wonder what vin sequence the batch would include. Im not noticing any problems up shifting (i miss 2nd a lot, I'm used to a slippery triumph gearbox) but downshifting with the QS is scary sometimes for sure

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could always eliminate the QS and clutch-less upshift the old fashioned way ;).....can't help ya on downshifts though....

·
Registered
576 Posts
IIRC, the Panigale is on a completely different electronics package, they never switched over to the Bosch ECU like the Multi/xDiavel did. If so, the 1260 QS probably shares no parts or code with the Panigale line. That's just a guess on my part, based upon how these things work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had exactly this happen the other day on my 1260 shifting from 5th to 6th under hard acceleration at high speed. Felt like I clicked into gear and the bike crouched like a runner at a starting line for a moment and then shot off.

My mechanic advised the following for the 1260 quickshifter: use on upshifts only under hard acceleration and only between 2nd and 5th. Use on downshifts only with the throttle fully off.

I’ve noticed that pretty much all of my DQS problems have involved first or 6th gear.
It's definitely sketchy when it happens because the bike propels once it hooks up. I also confirmed the issue with my dealer who is looking into the report, they confirmed they have also experienced the issue. I wouldn't accept to only use it in certain gears or with the clutch, this isn't my first QS equipped bike. Riding both OE equipped and aftermarket I know the difference between a limitation and a glitch. The dealer believes it is some sort of interference of the traction control.

I'll keep everyone up to date as I get more info. I dont expect it to be resolved anytime soon since I live rather far from a dealer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. While I have spent enough time now to work with it (by not using it much), this issue is more serious than your typical Italian bike personality quirk. It's dangerous, particularly so because the bike comes from the factory with the QS enabled. I would not have expected a factory QS unit to perform worse than an ECU hack system like Tuneboy, but it does.

I'll make a point to bring the issue to my dealers attention as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. While I have spent enough time now to work with it (by not using it much), this issue is more serious than your typical Italian bike personality quirk. It's dangerous, particularly so because the bike comes from the factory with the QS enabled. I would not have expected a factory QS unit to perform worse than an ECU hack system like Tuneboy, but it does.

I'll make a point to bring the issue to my dealers attention as well.
Agreed and I truly believe its something as simple as an update to the computer. Its very possible a program issue and if so I see this being resolved overtime. This bike is still fairly new and I am sure we will hear more of the issue. I know the first few times I thought it was me and didn't think anything of it but now after three months and 3,500 miles I'm positive it isn't the user LOL.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well it happened to me last night going 2nd to 3rd, full throttle but I don't think that i put the shift lever back all the way down to its starting position (i think my foot was still pulling up on the shifter is what I mean)

scared the shit out of me. Didn't happen anymore, but i didn't do anymore full throttle blasts

·
Registered
180 Posts
What a shame Ducati didn't get the QS right on this bike! BMW has a great QS on my son's S 1000R and the dual clutch transmission auto shifting on my Honda Goldwing is even better. Even the aftermarket QS on my 2015 MS works pretty well.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The QS on my 1260 works great, just got back from a 4,000 mile trip and used it the whole time. Maybe check with your dealer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it happened to me last night going 2nd to 3rd, full throttle but I don't think that i put the shift lever back all the way down to its starting position (i think my foot was still pulling up on the shifter is what I mean)

scared the shit out of me. Didn't happen anymore, but i didn't do anymore full throttle blasts
No matter if you hold the shifter all the way up it should not do that. I tested this, I shifted and just held the lever fully up with my throttle held and the bike will continue to go. I did this upshifting and downshifting and it doesn't affect it.

I think the dealer is correct that is has something to do with the ABS, on WOT when you hit the QS the bike seems to ease on the power after the shift in order to keep traction on the rear as well as not lift the front. I'd assume the computer is reading a slippage and killing throttle for a split second. One thing I haven't messed with is the Wheelie Control and Traction Control. I haven't had the issue happen consistently enough to replicate the issue so it makes it hard.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's my first bike with a QS but it seems to work ok to me. As long as I'm accelerating past 6k rpms on upshifts it seems to work well. What is the issue you are experiencing?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Generally harsh shifting. It can be smooth, but it's not always. I would agree that it's worst below 6k rpm. Outside of the 2/1 downshift, which basically all QS struggle with, neither the factory Panigale unit, or the aftermarket solutions like Tuneboy, have these issues.

Between a Multi and a Diavel I've got over 20k miles on Tuneboy QS equipped bikes, and neither tried to bounce me off the bike the way this has. A rough shift from time to time, sure, but nothing close to what this 1260 will throw at you. It does seem to be getting better with mileage, but that might be down to me learning it's faults, more than it breaking in.

All of these things are basically the same hardware, it's just a strain gauge, a load cell, and a connection to the data feed from the ECU/computer to read RPM, selected gear, and various other engine/transmission speed related data. All the magic is in software, so there is no reason they can't make it work just as well as any other QS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts