Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 2011 Multi, I washed it rarely and detailed it once per year. It never had any bug etchings in the paint.

On my 2018 Multi, I keep it clean, and it has 2 coats of Rejex, and one coat of wax. I went on a 30 day trip, and washed it when I came back. I sprayed all the bugs off once during the trip; so the bike went about 2 weeks with bugs on the front before being detailed.

The front of the bike is covered in bug etchings! I clayed it, no effect. So I stepped up and used a polish. The polish didn't help the bug etchings either, I'm sure it needs compound.

Both bikes are red.

However, the weird thing is, the polish was turning my applicator red! I haven't had polish turn an applicator the color of the paint since the 80s when cars weren't clear coated!

So, I'm wondering if the clear coat is missing, or if my Multi's paint is somehow incorrectly applied from the factory. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
577 Posts
There have been previous discussions on the board about this topic. I don't think we've gotten to the bottom of the issue, but I'm convinced there is no paint on the body panels, they're just red plastic. The finish doesn't feel like paint, it doesn't react like paint. As you've noticed, it's very soft, whatever it is.

Looking at the part numbers, I think that might only be true on the red bikes.

FWIW Ducati doesn't always clearcoat. I know the carbon model Diavels do not have a clearcoat on the paint, in that case because of the exposed carbon fiber.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I noticed the same on my red fairing ST3 yesterday while cleaning off tree sap. I used 40% isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip and rubbed off some red color.

I don't know much about how color is infused or painted onto plastics, but there is definitely white core beneath the red exterior. I could see this before some minor cracks were repaired.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive got a spare panel from when i dropped the bike on its first ride. i might section it off and use a few different compounds on it to see what works to restore some sort of shine. I would say it definitely looks like my paint is bug etched after 3 months of ownership, very disappointing for a 22000$ motorcycle. I don't want to be the guy that complains about his italian bike... but geez..

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
>>> very disappointing for a 22000$ motorcycle. I don't want to be the guy that complains about his italian bike... but geez..
No problem with complaining ! "The list" of stuff with mine just seems to keep growing.

And it seems very similar to what i read in this forum.

I'm enjoying the bike, BUT.... (WTF? Ducati!!!)

Reactions: suruppak

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you pay premium money, but get substandard quality in a specific area, you have the right to complain.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update

Well, I started a warranty claim through Hall's Cycles, and today they just called me and told me that Ducati is going to replace those two body panels on my Multistrada! So thanks to Hall's and Ducati for making it right!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts