Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't find another post on this site. My stock Multistrada will periodically stall when closing the throttle and pulling in the clutch. Dealer charged me for the diagnosis and found nothing. Help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unless it happens on regular basis, it's just a waist of time taking the bike to a dealer. They won't find the problem. Mine (also 1260) stalled like you described 3-4 times over 15 months. I wouldn't bother taking it to a dealer because most likely they won't be able to reproduce the stalling and there are no error codes (checked during last services).
The only thing I'd suggest is make sure the bike was all latest software updates.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was able to reproduce the stalling, and Italy still said there was nothing wrong with it. That said, mine hasn't stalled in months, after the spark plugs and evap canister were replaced. This was on a 2018 1260s.

Mine was pretty severe, stalling multiple times in a single short ride wasn't out of the ordinary. I'm glad the issue got resolved, even though no one knows how or why; I was ready to retain an attorney if it hadn't.

If you can't reproduce it, they'll claim no errors found. Once you can reproduce it, it's because you're operating in an unusual manner, because you're trying to reproduce it. Bunch of BS.

These issues first started appearing with the 2015 MTS, and have been reported on all subsequent years of both the MTS and the xDiavel, so all Ducati motorcycles that have the DVT system. Not sure if the recent 1260 Diavel has the issue, no reason to think it doesn't. Ducati either doesn't know, after nearly five years, the cause of the problem, or they refuse to admit it, preferring to blame the customers riding style (as if that is ever an excuse for an engine dying when the clutch is disengaged).

I wonder if anyone has been injured or killed because of this fault. Someone posted a helmet cam video of theirs dying in the middle of a busy intersection, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
16 Posts

My reply in that thread:
"Friend of mine was having a similar issue on his 18 MTS in that it would often stall when downshifting. The dealer said that fuel was entering the charcoal canister. Evap and charcoal canisters were replaced under warranty and he was advised to not fill the tank fuller than 1" from the top. "

He has not had stalling issues since that repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts