Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't find another post on this site. My stock Multistrada will periodically stall when closing the throttle and pulling in the clutch. Dealer charged me for the diagnosis and found nothing. Help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Unless it happens on regular basis, it's just a waist of time taking the bike to a dealer. They won't find the problem. Mine (also 1260) stalled like you described 3-4 times over 15 months. I wouldn't bother taking it to a dealer because most likely they won't be able to reproduce the stalling and there are no error codes (checked during last services).
The only thing I'd suggest is make sure the bike was all latest software updates.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was able to reproduce the stalling, and Italy still said there was nothing wrong with it. That said, mine hasn't stalled in months, after the spark plugs and evap canister were replaced. This was on a 2018 1260s.

Mine was pretty severe, stalling multiple times in a single short ride wasn't out of the ordinary. I'm glad the issue got resolved, even though no one knows how or why; I was ready to retain an attorney if it hadn't.

If you can't reproduce it, they'll claim no errors found. Once you can reproduce it, it's because you're operating in an unusual manner, because you're trying to reproduce it. Bunch of BS.

These issues first started appearing with the 2015 MTS, and have been reported on all subsequent years of both the MTS and the xDiavel, so all Ducati motorcycles that have the DVT system. Not sure if the recent 1260 Diavel has the issue, no reason to think it doesn't. Ducati either doesn't know, after nearly five years, the cause of the problem, or they refuse to admit it, preferring to blame the customers riding style (as if that is ever an excuse for an engine dying when the clutch is disengaged).

I wonder if anyone has been injured or killed because of this fault. Someone posted a helmet cam video of theirs dying in the middle of a busy intersection, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
52 Posts

My reply in that thread:
"Friend of mine was having a similar issue on his 18 MTS in that it would often stall when downshifting. The dealer said that fuel was entering the charcoal canister. Evap and charcoal canisters were replaced under warranty and he was advised to not fill the tank fuller than 1" from the top. "

He has not had stalling issues since that repair.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Recently, my bike started stalling again - pull clutch, close throttle, RPM drops, engine dies! It happened 3-4 times out of 10. During a short 10 miles ride in a city the bike stalls 5-6 times. Extremely dangerous!
I tried simple things:
1. Added injectors cleaner
2. Disconnected battery for a night
3. Connected to TEXA, no faults, reset adaptation values.
Nothing helped.

Luckily, I have RapidBike Racing! I added 1%-2% fuel in 500-3000 RPM @ 0% throttle and the problem gone!

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Remove the CAT, the engine snuff outs are due to the lean AFR used from factory at the lower to idle rpms.

Removing the CAT lets it breath better and use Chevron premium gas\fuel this will keep it more stable.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I wonder if the evap cycle is not stopping fast enough and adding fuel after the throttle closes (flooding the bike, or messing up the AFR enough that it stalls).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Remove the CAT, the engine snuff outs are due to the lean AFR used from factory at the lower to idle rpms.

Removing the CAT lets it breath better and use Chevron premium gas\fuel this will keep it more stable.
I have full Akrapovic exhaust, no CAT

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wonder if the evap cycle is not stopping fast enough and adding fuel after the throttle closes (flooding the bike, or messing up the AFR enough that it stalls).
All emission related stuff, including evap canister were removed long time ago.

I wonder what caused the recent stalling issue... Unfortunately, I don't think a dealer will be of any help here. I guess, they will blame me for installing Akra and RapidBike, and I'll have hard time convincing them that the bike haven't been stalling for 2 years with this setup. Maybe, it's because I don't ride it enough (just 1.5 K miles this season) :).
My mechanic suggests to replace all spark plugs. Also, as I need a dealer to perform a recall (side stand), I'll ask them to update ECU firmware. But for now, it's ok, 200 miles and no stalling!

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Does it only happen when cold? If so then reset the cold start learn and let the bike retrain.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Did you talk to Rapidbike... I've never had a problem with it but some folks have had low throttle setting issues.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did you talk to Rapidbike... I've never had a problem with it but some folks have had low throttle setting issues.
I didn't, but I doubt it's RB fault. When stalling started, first thing I did was removing RB module and replaced it with a plug. It didn't help.
Then I put RB back and added a little fuel to injectors maps in 0% throttle column. According to RB doc, it does not aitomatically adjust the first column in the maps. Since then, bike didn't stall.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What gas you using?

There is a difference!

Chevron will provide the most stable\smooth experience where as Shell and others can make things more lumpy.

Put 2 tanks of Chevron though it and lets see if it still does it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What gas you using?

There is a difference!

Chevron will provide the most stable\smooth experience where as Shell and others can make things more lumpy.

I'm in Canada, we don't have Chevron here. I'm trying to fill up at Shell (Premium, 91) as it doesn't have alcohol.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I recently bought a '19 1260S. It was doing the same stalling you describe when coming to a stop, but it was intermittent. I realized that if it didn't throw a code and it was intermittent, that Ducati would not authorize a dealer to spend the time to drill down on it. I took it to Boulder Motor Sports. They found deposits on the sides and bottom of the throttle plates. No theories as to where they came from. Cleaned them up and it has not stalled since.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i had the same issue with my 2018 1260s... it went on for a couple of months and then magically disappeared. here’s hoping it doesn’t come back. i started blipping they throttle a bit as i pulled the clutch to keep the RPM’s up

·
Registered
52 Posts
What gas you using?

There is a difference!

I'm in Canada, we don't have Chevron here. I'm trying to fill up at Shell (Premium, 91) as it doesn't have alcohol.

My dealer strongly advises against Shell gas as they claim they've had numerous injector clogging issues. The one time I filed with Shell (it was a Chevron that changed to Shell and I just went in blindly, forgetting about the change) my bike did not run as well until that gas was burned off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My dealer strongly advises against Shell gas as they claim they've had numerous injector clogging issues. The one time I filed with Shell (it was a Chevron that changed to Shell and I just went in blindly, forgetting about the change) my bike did not run as well until that gas was burned off.
I have no idea what Shell is in US (might be different?), but in Canada it's one of very few those don't have any alcohol in a fuel. And is considered the best you can get. Also, I'm not saying that I used Shell exclusively (though, I try to stay with it as much as possible). So, the problem definitely is not in a quality of a gas.

Anyway, I think, I can safely say now that the stalling issue is fixed.
As engine stalling may be different on other Ducatis, I'd like to share the exact problem with mine. After many tries, I found 2 scenarios when stalling occurred the most:
1. 2nd gear, very small, around 2750 RPM (40 km/h or 25 miles/h), steady throttle for 30 sec. Then pull the clutch and release throttle at the same time. Don't allow engine braking! 9 of 10 times RPM drops to almost 0 (tach does not show any bars in Touring mode) and then probably 5 times the bike recovers, but 4 times stalls.
2. 1st gear, clutch pulled. Releasing the clutch (not all the way), giving a little throttle. Then pulling the clutch and closing the throttle. Like when you proceed slowly in heavy traffic. The result is the same - RPM drops to 0 and you have 50/50 chances of bike stalling or recovering.

The solution was RapidBike! I had to add more fuel (enrich) in 0% throttle position column. I have been purposely trying to stall the engine for the last 2 days. Not only it didn't stall once, I also couldn't make it to drop RPM to 0. The worst I saw was 2 bars on the tach!
As another plus, the on/off throttle became much smoother, especially noticeable in second gear/small throttle.

I wonder, why I didn't make these changes before? I guess, I misread RB manual. It says that RB does not adjust first column (0% throttle position), but apparently they reference to adaptation, not manual map setting.

Looks like RapidBike (I have Race model, because I wanted to be able to modify engine braking, but EVO should be fine as well) is a MUST have with this bike, especially if you're looking forward to get rid of CAT.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts