Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok go easy on me here :smile2:, I Have a 2018 multi 1260 and absolutely love the bike but it’s missing the raw power feel of my 2012 1200 multi. I have the akrapovic slip-on, and + 2 rear sprocket. I’m wondering about also getting the full akrapovic headers. Anyone know if I can just run this without a rapid bike without any damage to engine, etc? Wonder if I could pick up a few HP with the full exhaust and give the bike a harder power hit without messing up the AFR too much.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Really? You think the 1260 feels anemic compared to the 1200? Sorry to put words in your mouth, that was just impression I got from your post. I'm on the fence about selling my Diavel and picking up a Muliti and I have several options to choose from - a 2016 Pikes Peak for $18,500, a 2018 1260 Enduro for $20,000 or a base 1260 for $17,000. Money isn't really an issue since they're all in the same ballpark. I really dig the Pikes Peak but that's a 1200. I thought the 1260 would be a step up but, I haven't ridden a Multi since 2015 so I honestly don't know how different they feel.

Guess I better line up my test rides :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t get me wrong it puts out more power than the 1200 on a dyno, it is just very smooth, I’m used to bikes with more of a hit I guess. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the 1260, I love mine. Just always looking for more I guess.
I would not call it anemic just very linear but plenty of power

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok go easy on me here :smile2:, I Have a 2018 multi 1260 and absolutely love the bike but it’s missing the raw power feel of my 2012 1200 multi. I have the akrapovic slip-on, and + 2 rear sprocket. I’m wondering about also getting the full akrapovic headers. Anyone know if I can just run this without a rapid bike without any damage to engine, etc? Wonder if I could pick up a few HP with the full exhaust and give the bike a harder power hit without messing up the AFR too much.

Any thoughts?
Yes, you can have full Akra without rapid bike. There will be ABSOLUTELY no damage to the engine. Here's a dyno proof:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/719641-akrapovic-full-system-2016-dvt-4.html#post6977171

But if you want to get the most out of this wonderful exhaust (IMHO much better than Termi), I'd recommend RapidBike anyway

·
31 Posts
It's the electronics! In hindsight, I liked the raw power of my '99 ST4. The 1200 MTS is much more powerful, but at low speed, it hesitates a split second while it figures out how to not spin the rear or lift the front. All that stuff is dialed back, but I still feel the hesitation.

The other thing I do not like is the display error lights. I had to re-wire the starter solenoid per the tech bulletin. After riding about 100 miles, I now have the orange triangle in the upper left corner lit. I miss the simple days when all you had was a temp and oil pressure light.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Love my 1260....with the full Termi and upmap the bike just rips. It picked up a significant amount of midrange and the low speed fueling is spot on. One thing with the 1260...you can be in 4th gear at 3K rpm and she just purrs along.......:)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yes, you can have full Akra without rapid bike. There will be ABSOLUTELY no damage to the engine. Here's a dyno proof:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/719641-akrapovic-full-system-2016-dvt-4.html#post6977171

But if you want to get the most out of this wonderful exhaust (IMHO much better than Termi), I'd recommend RapidBike anyway
Thanks for sharing those charts. To say I'm surprised would be an understatement. In fact it's quite counter-intuitive.
What's interesting, but not surprising, is the difference the Rapidbike makes.
On that note, I have an RB EVO (from my previous Panigale) sitting on my bench which will be ported to my stock Multi 1260 following the first service.
I'll be disabling the exhaust valve upon its installation. I also have the Adori bypass adapter. The plan is to do "before and after" dyno runs to see the difference the RB does on a stock bike with and without the exhaust valve disabled.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ahh yes , the crazy hit of acceleration on the 2010 - 2012 models was/is a rush and hard to duplicate .

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree about the electronics creating a little hesitation.

I’d look at the Termi as that seems like the easy solution but from dyno charts I’ve seen (on the 1200) there is no net HP gain from adding the termi. IMO, that’s a lot of money for sound and no extra power.

Thanks for posting the Akrapovic dyno, that’s a nice gain! I’m already halfway there with the slip-on. I do long trips on the 1260 and mostly alone, my only concern with the Rapidbike is a point of failure. Like be in the middle of nowhere far from home and it caused a malfunction.

Anyone comment on any long term issues with the rapidbike?

I also have a Superduke 1290 making 162 hp and 99 lbft at the wheel, now that’s a nice power band!

Feels like there is something waiting to be unleashed on this 1260! Thanks again for any insight

·
Registered
192 Posts
...I do long trips on the 1260 and mostly alone, my only concern with the Rapidbike is a point of failure. Like be in the middle of nowhere far from home and it caused a malfunction.

Buy RapidBike Adori bypass adapter. In case something happens with the unit itself, you can always unplug it, plug in the adapter and continue!
Can't comment on long term issues with RB, 'cause I have it for less than a month

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Had one for two years. No issues.
I concur with @zr1000a1. Just buy the bypass adapter as an added insurance if you feel uncomfortable. I have one as well. It's useful when at your dealer for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ahh yes, the crazy hit of acceleration on the 2010 - 2012 models was/is a rush and hard to duplicate .
Its single spark design also gives it that raw feel that is naturally harder to replicate in later twin spark, more sophisticated models.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It feels smoother because it is smoother. It's not just electronics either; the 1260/DVT engine is never going to give you that hit of rapid acceleration change above 7500 RPM the way an older Testastretta does, because the engine now has a truly useful midrange, making for a more linear power delivery. Non-linear power delivery will fool the ol' butt dyno every time; Honda convinced an entire generation of young men that their slow cars were fast by bolting the v-tech system onto economy cars for that reason.

End of the day it's all about what you want. From a raw power, area under the curve perspective, the 1260/DVT is a better engine, but it has to give up some of those traditional sporting engine characteristics to get there. I don't have any experience putting exhaust and tune on a 1260, but I can't imagine doing so is going to give you back that high RPM rush of power. exhaust tuning typically adds more to midrange than peak power.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Too flat of a torque curve makes for a boring bike IMHO.

This is one of the main reasons i sold my BMW GS as it was too smooth and boring...the other was range.

Think of the old vertical 'power bands' days = ear to ear big smile :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
To each their own. There are riders who get their kicks from big CC Harleys with tons of off-idle torque, who think the way a sport bike engine runs is boring, and don't care that their engine is done making power at 5500 RPM. I like the middle ground leaning towards sporty, and the DVT motor has just about nailed it if that's what you're after. The GS is, as you said, almost exactly in the middle, and not as exciting.

My guess is Ducati will eventually come out with a touring package for the SS, designed to appeal more to those riders who preferred the way the pre-DVT Multis behaved. Or, maybe that's what the 950 is for, I haven't ridden one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You didn't mention exactly how many miles are currently on the bike. On new motors the time after break-in will show an increase in hp as things "loosen up" a bit. My "15 MS 1200 has just over 1,000 miles and as I am working my way through the break-in rpm restrictions I am already seeing ( feeling?) a power increase as well as an increase in gas mileage....44+ mpg consistently. Just a thought before money is spent.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great insights guys! Appreciate the feedback, I do love the bike, guess I’m just always looking for more power. Too bad the termi doesn’t increase power would be an easier choice

Bike has 6,500 miles on it so should be broken in now

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I just picked-up my new 1260 PP today. Finally.
I bought it on Nov 30th. It's been a long wait. Thank God for skiing and a three week holiday in April.
Very fast. In fact, Star-Ship Enterprise fast.
Very smooth also (for a twin). No issues about that as it's a sport touring bike unlike my visceral Monster 1200R hooligan.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I guess if you want that kick at 7k it has to be preceded by a low power flat spot, like the 1200dvt. The 1260 is everything the 1200 should have been

·
Registered
242 Posts
Too flat of a torque curve makes for a boring bike IMHO.

This is one of the main reasons i sold my BMW GS as it was too smooth and boring...the other was range.

Think of the old vertical 'power bands' days = ear to ear big smile :D
I think you need to try a 1290 Super Duke and come back and talk about a flat torque curve, lmao.:smile2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts