Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any suggestions on crash bars? Anyone tested them? :)
Who manufactures the Ducati ones? I like them but wow$$$$
R&G show new ones not yet available, I like these because they come lower and I would have the option of highway pegs on long hauls
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
touratech... great quality but pricey.

though in my case I think they've paid for themselves a couple times over (by giving me 2 or 3 zero damage drops).

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have Altrider. I have been told that they use thicker wall tubing than Touratech but I can't say for sure.. They will protect the plastic in a low speed or no speed drop. They are not intended to protect the bike in a high speed crash or collision. I was in a collision with a car. The bike and the car were totaled but the Altrider bars kept my leg from being trapped between the bike and the car. How do you value that?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's my 2c: The Touratech bars mount to the bike at two points on each side, the front engine mount and the upper radiator mounts. The two sides also connect to each other with a cross bar at the base of the radiator and a cross bar at top front under the beak. There's a little rubber grommet/pin at the top front middle that plugs into a hole in the cross bar. The bars are made of 25mm diameter stainless steel tubing so will not rust and don't need paint.

The R&G bars are 28mm steel tubing that has been powder coated. They mount at two locations on each side, the front engine mount and a bracket on the frame tube. There is a very long tube that runs from the top of each side down and across, way down below the front head. As this does not connect to the bike anywhere else, this bar is a cantilever of sorts so from a simple engineering perspective, I don't like this at all.

The Altrider bars are the smallest of the three, mounting at the same front engine mount and upper radiator mount as the Touratech and with the sides connecting using a cross bar that cuts across the centre of the radiator. I'm not sure why the cross bar doesn't simply cross at the top where it would provide a more solid connection to the side bars. The side bars take a similar route to the upper part of the Touratech bars but the Touratech bars nave an additional triangulated section on each side for extra strength and bashing. These bars are also 25mm (1") stainless steel.

Altrider also sell frame sliders that mount to the same front engine mount and stick out the side a long way. These are two cantilevers that mount to two critical engine mounts; remember the engine is a stressed member of the frame on these bikes. I think this is a bad idea. Research "ducati engine casing mounting cracks" and you will understand why.

In summary, the Touratech bars are significantly stronger; there is more, stainless, metal and more connections from left to right for additional strength; this is one reason why they are more expensive. Just look closely at pictures of each and it is clear that these bars are not the same in terms of fall protection for the bike. As Jeff notes, these protect the bike from static and low speed falls and in Jeff's case some extra side impact protection.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't think any of these kind of things will do much good in a crash.
But in a slow or no speed tip over, they could help avoid expensive damage.
Such is the theory anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my 2c: The Touratech bars mount to the bike at two points on each side, the front engine mount and the upper radiator mounts. The two sides also connect to each other with a cross bar at the base of the radiator and a cross bar at top front under the beak. There's a little rubber grommet/pin at the top front middle that plugs into a hole in the cross bar. The bars are made of 25mm diameter stainless steel tubing so will not rust and don't need paint.

The R&G bars are 28mm steel tubing that has been powder coated. They mount at two locations on each side, the front engine mount and a bracket on the frame tube. There is a very long tube that runs from the top of each side down and across, way down below the front head. As this does not connect to the bike anywhere else, this bar is a cantilever of sorts so from a simple engineering perspective, I don't like this at all.

The Altrider bars are the smallest of the three, mounting at the same front engine mount and upper radiator mount as the Touratech and with the sides connecting using a cross bar that cuts across the centre of the radiator. I'm not sure why the cross bar doesn't simply cross at the top where it would provide a more solid connection to the side bars. The side bars take a similar route to the upper part of the Touratech bars but the Touratech bars nave an additional triangulated section on each side for extra strength and bashing. These bars are also 25mm (1") stainless steel.

Altrider also sell frame sliders that mount to the same front engine mount and stick out the side a long way. These are two cantilevers that mount to two critical engine mounts; remember the engine is a stressed member of the frame on these bikes. I think this is a bad idea. Research "ducati engine casing mounting cracks" and you will understand why.

In summary, the Touratech bars are significantly stronger; there is more, stainless, metal and more connections from left to right for additional strength; this is one reason why they are more expensive. Just look closely at pictures of each and it is clear that these bars are not the same in terms of fall protection for the bike. As Jeff notes, these protect the bike from static and low speed falls and in Jeff's case some extra side impact protection.
I don't think any of these kind of things will do much good in a crash.
But in a slow or no speed tip over, they could help avoid expensive damage.
Such is the theory anyway.
I think we all understand they should be named drop bars not crash bars, I like the look of the bars and looking for options to mount highway pegs, not expecting to be in a full body cast and my bike is mint, the best way to keep a bike damage free is to stay aware of your surroundings and avoid the accident:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts