Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Measured the surface temp of our asphalt street a few days ago when it was so hot ..... 165f at 1pm (used a little $8.00 Harbor Freight point and shoot digital pyrometer). I was able to leave clearly identifiable footprints in the softer tar (that stuff they use to patch expansion cracks with). My bicycle left pretty clear tire marks in the same stuff.

Neat observation: At night, even though light colored cement doesn't get nearly as hot as black asphalt during the day, the cement holds the heat MUCH longer during the cooler temps of night. So at night the cement sidewalk and driveway are quite a bit warmer/hotter than the street, and they tend to hold that heat for hours. I suppose that's due to cement being much more dense than asphalt, holds on to heat longer. It should be noted that I am no thermal dynamics engineer (or whatever). I'm just another person living in the desert southwest writing about what I see.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here ya go my friend... From last year. Blizzard in progress:
View attachment 989785

And what it looked like the following morning when we woke:
View attachment 989787

I do love a good snowstorm...
Oh HELL no. My wife was born/raised in the Wautoma Wisconsin area, she's all done with shoveling snow. I'm a southwest boy, other than the first 12 years of my life (SF Bay Area, 1960 to 1972). While I've not lived in cold country I've done enough 12 hour midnight shifts on freezing flight lines (aircraft parking area) with 25mph winds all while entirely on foot (military). And Germany was nothing but a miserable cold ass drizzle with sleet and then snow (military). Nope. You can have that cold stuff, in fact I'll give you my share!

:)

BTW ... really beautiful images ... nice eye!

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
Oh it was so cold....brass monkey and witches parts

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Oh HELL no. My wife was born/raised in the Wautoma Wisconsin area, she's all done with shoveling snow. I'm a southwest boy, other than the first 12 years of my life (SF Bay Area, 1960 to 1972). While I've not lived in cold country I've done enough 12 hour midnight shifts on freezing flight lines (aircraft parking area) with 25mph winds all while entirely on foot (military). And Germany was nothing but a miserable cold ass drizzle with sleet and then snow (military). Nope. You can have that cold stuff, in fact I'll give you my share!

BTW ... really beautiful images ... nice eye!
Thank's my friend... I can't point to one thing as the reason why I love it so much, and in fact, having lived my entire life in New England, I can say that I have strong feelings for each of the seasons. But there is something about a good snowstorm...

It's probably a pavlovian response of sorts, thinking back fondly on all those winter mornings, listening to the radio with bated breath for the announcement that school was cancelled for the day!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If I correctly recall, I've spent a grand total of about seventeen hours in New England. Layover at JFK in 1981. Oh wait ... I was on a training exercise in 1980 someplace in the northern ~arm~ of Michigan ... right near the Hoser border. But I never saw anything but the training base then (nothing but forest, an LZ, and helicopters).

Nawp ... I'll take the heat over the cold or the wet or the cold/wet. I think in some previous life I was a house cat because I don't like the wet or the cold.

I think when I come back next time I'm gonna be a hockey puck. Meh ...

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
If I correctly recall, I've spent a grand total of about seventeen hours in New England. Layover at JFK in 1981...
17 hour layover at JFK... sounds about right.

In all my years of travel, and all of the miles flown, I've literally never flown in or out of any airport worse than JFK with regards to flight delays, flight cancellations, etc. The only other airport in the continental US which comes close is DFW.

Just the worst...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I remember hoping for enough snow to cancel school.
Then having to shovel that crap. Sometimes Dad insisted it had to be done now, don't wait for it to stop falling.
Eff winter.

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
I remember hoping for enough snow to cancel school.
Then having to shovel that crap. Sometimes Dad insisted it had to be done now, don't wait for it to stop falling.
Eff winter.
Those are good memories for me. Snow days equalled shoveling peoples walks (after ours was done of course) and that equalled "income". At the time, my only revenue stream was a Hartford Courant paper route, so getting $5-10 for spending 30 minutes doing someone's walk was well worth it.

By noontime after an average storm I'd have made a relatively easy $50, and would have the rest of the day to go sledding, throw snowballs at cars, get chased by pissed off owners, play hockey on the local pond, throw snowballs at cars, get chased again, etc. etc. Plus, no dogs ever chased me... which was a constant danger when delivering papers by bicycle.

Good stuff...

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
You know it’s hot when the vasoline keeps melting and won’t hold the fucking locks on the valves stems 🤬

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I've been goofing around with mounting a lithium ion battery in my bike, which has my mind on ~batteries~.

During the last several power outages I've thought the same thing .... "if I were to set up a 12v L-Ion battery it could be used to power small lights and most importantly small DC operated fans". I'll be sniffing this out over the coming days. The idea is to make some connection pigtails that will adapt a 12v lion battery to various things (some lights, some fans). Also make up any pigtails needed to connect the batts up to solar chargers ... Lord knows we have plenty of ~solar energy~ in these parts. There are three adults in my family, so each person could have their own 12v supply and connectors. Small lights and small DC fans don't draw very much current, so some calculations are needed to work out how long each battery will last when fully charged.

The idea of using 12vdc for this emergency thing is about connectivity. The RV (motorhome) industry is LOADED with 12 vdc operated appliances. This is due to the fact that motorhomes and other RVs have two electrical systems (12vdc and 120vac). Consequently there is a large number of available devices, both household and otherwise, that operate on 12vdc. There are solar charging systems, transfer switches, wind-chargers, toasters, radios, et al ... all in 12vdc. All of my communication equipment runs on 12vdc (police scanners, CB radios, 10 meter HAM radios, etc..). So a 12v lion battery as part of a personal emergency power supply kit makes a lot of sense.

I'd previously considered using some sort of rechargeable power tool battery and charging system for this emergency thing ... but using a much larger (aka greater capacity) 12vdc lion battery meant for motorcycle installations is a far better way to go. That's how I see it, at least. The MC batt also makes fabbing adaptive connection pigtails a SHITLOAD simpler since no special connectors are needed at the battery end, just eyelets.

Do up all of the connection pigtails properly and that battery could be used to charge cell phones as well as power lights and fans.

We already have a few of those ready-made emergency power cells. They're handy, already outfitted with various outputs to handle various chores. There's even a 120vac outlet that can provide a few hundred watts of AC power if needed. But those emergency cells have limited capacity. While the motorcycle sized lion battery also has it's own limits, those limits far exceed the capability of an emergency cell. The ready made thing is convenient ... the custom made lithium ion power supply is long lived.

"Anything that does everything doesn't do any of it very well." That's my own concept, and that's how I look at the store bought emergency power cells. They're great, but I can make something that suits our more specific needs that will provide portable emergency DC power for far longer time stretches between recharges.

Just sharing another of my oddball ideas.

EDIT: A bit of Arizona Heat/Covid 19 humor .... I see lately Arizona has taken a really hard ~dip~ in Teh Covids ... this was after seeing a sharp rise in cases. It's not that anything magical happened to make Teh Covids go away ...

.... it's because it's 120 fucking degrees outside! ... everybody's in the damn house!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Go 12v DC in a separate box & a few circuits for LED lighting and a few fans. Then power it with a slightly used plug-in electric Chevy Bolt when APS goes tits up. Used Bolts run about $250/month, and have free fuel to boot if you have add solar + storage. Its battery is 60 kWh lithium ion battery pack that's good for over 200 miles on a charge, so should get you thru your power outages. Hey, sleep in the car with the AC on :D

41 - 57 of 57 Posts