Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove a 2018 1200s today and wow what a bike. I am not an expert by any means but the bike was just fun to ride. When we sat to talk numbers I did get a bit of sticker shock .......17,500 is a little more than I wanted to spend but liked the single sided swingarm, grey color, and quick shifter.

Anyway, a little after I sat on an 821 and did not realize it had the same display now (last 821 I sat on was older) and the quickshifter can be added through Ducati. So my main question is if the 1200s is worth the 5 k more than a black 821 monster (no red for me)

I am 5'10 200 lbs and do not plan on any track days. I'm a pleasure/nice weather rider that has a lot of highway to get places and want something that's stable for 2 up riding as well. I know the 1200s would have more torque for that but is it psbyically more comfortable for 2 riders?

It seems the 5k difference for the 1200s gets me
- Single sided swing arm (LOVE IT)
- Quick shifter built standard ($300 ish add on for 821)
- Ohlins adjustable suspension (not sure if I really need this)
- Ducati wheelie control
- Ducati cornering abs
- +30 torque
- +40 hp

Any insight?

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
My only "insight" is that most of us think we need more HP than we actually do if we are street riders.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I mean, the 1200 is a better bike but do you need it? The suspension upgrade would be nice but I won't ever come close to maximum performance of my 821 on the street (don't plan on tracking) so for me the 821 is perfect

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Decision made.

Called the dealer and was completely honest with them about my concerns. They said they can get me a Monster 821 in Stealth but are willing to work a deal on the 1200s in stock. They took a decent amount off the top and through in some extras.

Pick up my new concrete grey 1200s on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Decision made.

Called the dealer and was completely honest with them about my concerns. They said they can get me a Monster 821 in Stealth but are willing to work a deal on the 1200s in stock. They took a decent amount off the top and through in some extras.

Great choice!
I rode both of them back to back and I can’t get the 1200s off my mind. I want that bike so bad! It surprised me in the best possible way. You can cruise around town on it as if you would on the 821 nice and calmly.
But you also have the option to put it in Sport mode and wheelie from every traffic light and be a complete hooligan>:). The extra torque is addictive and handling is just great. With all the changes you can make to the setup you have a bike for almost every occasion.
The 821 I would buy if I was getting a bike for the wife to ride. It’s nice but vanilla compared to the big brother.

Congratulations by the way?????? Don’t forget to post pics.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Decision made.

Way to go dude that’s the bike I would get if I switched out my SF 848 but not in the budget right now.

Pictures please!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy.

Honestly I could ride the wheels off my old poor mans monster, aka sv650. Its where I learned to love the Vtwins but the shift points were really quick. I was the fastest in the canyons compared to the I4s but would need to shift really quick or hit rev limiter after the apex. Then I got into liter bikes and got to drive with more power speed through each gear. Which was nice for city and canyons.

Enjoy your new ride:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 2 week old Concrete grey 1200s I just upgraded my 15 821 for. The suspension difference alone is unbelievable. Breaking in a new bike is for the birds though. And the new dash has a redline at 6k RPM until you get over 600 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts