Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please bear with me,,,,,, I'm on a steep learning curve on Multi's.

I have a 2007 ST3, with the Ducati Performance Gel Seat. Without doubt, absolutely the most comfortable seat ever put on a motorcycle.

Initially I thought the 1200S seat was OK ,,, but a few longer rides in, and I've yet to find a comfortable position. And it's too bloody firm ! ! ! The best position for the bones of my bum, put pressure on my nuts,,, which go numb after about 20 minutes. ,,,,, And before anybody says it ,,,,, My missus has already applied the label.

When I looked at a new Multi early last year, there was a "Comfort seat" listed. Has anybody had any experience with those ? I've got my OEM seat in the lowest position. Can the Comfort Seat also be adjusted to the lowest position / seat height ?

I've got an Air Hawk left over from my touring days on a GSXR, but hate to resort to that.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry. I posted this before I read down 6 lines, and found an extensive thread on this very subject.

I tried to delete the thread, but couldn't find how to do it.

If ADMIN would be so kind as to remove, would be appreciated.

Cheers
TD.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have quite a bit of experience with this issue and in fact was at the custom upholstery shop yesterday. I do not have a great deal of built in padding and the seat issue has been expensive and time consuming. My Seat Concepts on my GS works great but they do not make a seat for the MTS and I suspect the GS seat shape is more conducive to long distance comfort.

The stock seat on low was miserable for me and had to go, too firm and worst of all - crushed the private parts. As I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam low is better.

First I had a custom seat built - but the seat ended up being too wide and too firm for me. It is shaped like a tractor seat and probably best for Harley Riders. The seat maker charged me more to modify it and after $850 I finally abandoned it. (300 for seat pan, 450 for seat and 100 for mod) .

Next I bit the bullet and bought the expensive Ducati Touratech seat. It is SIGNIFICANTLY better and addresses the sliding forward problem and also has more comfortable foam. This will be my base platform. It is fine up to about 4 hours in the saddle then I start needing to stand up frequently.

I just tried an Airhawk Dual Sport but it is too small even for my small butt. The cruiser seat does not match the shape of the MTS and would hang over the edges. I sent the Airhawk back. I was also not impressed with the quality.

I considered a sheepskin, but instead I am having a 1" custom foam pad made (high quality foam plus gripper vinyl top with elastic straps that go under the seat) for shorter rides I will remove it. It is being cut to the exact contour of the top of the Ducati Touratech comfort seat. - I will report back when I try it next week.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your detailed response, much appreciated. It's almost scandalous that on a premium level motorcycle, it is fitted with such a universally disliked seat. Compounded by the factory acknowledgement of this by marketing an optional "COMFORT SEAT ! ! ! Would it be such a big ask to have fitted that to the bike as standard ? It's not as though its a $150 option. It's a + SIX HUNDRED DOLLAR exercise. Sorry Mr Ducati, but simply not good enough. For mine, the seat is the only negative on an otherwise absolutely brilliant bike.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
I actually like the seat... for any trip less than 2,000 miles I just go with the stock part. For longer tours I add my Air Hawk and can go indefinitely with no monkey butt. Nice thing about the Air Hawk... at "riding destinations" I can remove it for the day and go full shenanigans mode without having to deal with a touring saddle.

AirHawk 2 Medium to be specific. Key was to be narrow enough in the front that it doesn't add pressure points on your thighs, and wide enough in the back to give you broad support... and mount it so it can move a little. During long days I found it was most comfortable to periodically grab it by the front and pull it forward or push it back - it changed the pressures points and allowed me to stay comfortable basically all the time.

Reactions: The Fixer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, I love the factory seat also (in the high position). My wife wanted heat and so we added the Cobin seat. The Corbin is great for long trips but not as good as the factory seat for sport riding.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the DP gel seat on my '02 ST4s and agree that it is very comfortable. The stock seat on my '17 DVT was fine for a few hours but became uncomfortable. Standing up (an advantage of the Multi over the ST) for a few minutes helps. I tried an Air Hawk but could not get used to it. I feel disconnected from the bike. I bought the Ducati comfort seat (rider only) and like it a lot. It isn't perfect but is much better than the OEM. I have it in the low position. I think every manufacture has some sort of optional comfort seat for more money. Profit motive rules.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
I tried an Air Hawk but could not get used to it. I feel disconnected from the bike.
AirHawk does this somewhat (even when it's inflated correctly there's a bit of disconnect... much worse if you over-inflate)... which is why I take it off for sections of sport riding. The other point thats important for AirHawk is to inflate it so that your butt is still touching your actual seat but is getting broad support from the AirHawk. If you can't feel the seat then you're overinflated (the AirHawk doesn't feel very inflated when it's properly set up)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I may have finally sorted out the seat comfort issue for my delicate hiney.

I had a custom seat pad mad at the local Upholstery Shop https://s-supholstery.com/

Brad took 1 inch dense foam, tapered the edges, traced the contours of my TT Comfort seat, made a black grip cover and stitched some thick stretch straps that Velcro under the seat. It fits perfectly, does not slide, I can easily remove and it makes things a lot nicer on all day rides. It probably only raises the seat .5 inch when I am seated so I can still touch. If I was taller than my 30in inseam I might have even went with 1.5 in foam.

He charged me 120 and saved the pattern if anyone wants to contact him (Brad) I would be happy to take the stock seat over there if you let me know and he can pattern that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SEAT UP DATE

Took the bike to a mate who is a life long rider, and upholsterer.
He's done a LOT of motorcycle seats, and turned the 8" wide "Plank of hardwood" on my DR650, into at least a 6 hour without blisters version, which is almost a miracle.

So to the Multi. First he checked me out sitting on it. Placed a dozen strips of 10" x 1" vinyl, protruding from various angles from under my backside. Then tried to pull each strip out, to test where the pressure points were. Then he stood about 10 metres away, looking at me from side on. He determined that the shape of the seat was rotating my pelvis forward, and thus putting pressure on that area between the base of the scrotum, and my anus. (My balls were going numb after about 20-30 minutes),

He used his electric knife to remove a wedge shaped "scallop from my seat, with the highest part removed being from the rear of the seat.

He then gouged a strip out of the centre, approx 100mm wide, 10mm deep, and length of the seat.
He then cut a piece of medium density memory foam, same size as above, but 15mm thick.
He then slightly rounded the forward edges, where my thighs go over the edge of the seat.
He then put a 10mm layer of soft memory foam over the whole seat, and refitted the original cover.
I haven't been on a long'ish ride as yet, but it feels infinitely better in the several short rides that I've done so far.

The pillion seat -
He shaved 10mm off it all over, then replaced that removed material with a bottom layer of 10mm medium memory foam, topped with a 5mm layer of soft memory foam. My wife is WRAPPED.

A$160, and as many free "tune ups" of the seat contour as required to get it right.

I've now sat on a few Corbin, Sargent, and other modified seats. Most of which were in the $6-800 range.

Time will tell, but I think I got it sorted for a quarter of that cost.

Will let you know after a few trips, solo and with pillion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts