Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes ride to places unknown where I need a little navigation so I occasionally like to dock up
my phone with a navigation app so that I can find my way home. That being said, I recently picked up one of the 17 1200R’s and now, after the fact, of course, I’m scratching my head trying to figure out how I could mount a phone or a garmin, even temporarily on this thing. It looks like no matter what I do it’s going to be in the way of the steering damper. So, I figured I would ask those of you that have the same bike, and the same issue that have already figured out the right solution, the right mount, etc .... How did you do it? What did you use? Can you share pictures?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you just want the solution without the methodology here's what you need and look at the photos.
1) RAM® 9mm Angled Bolt Head Adapter Ball Base
2) RAM® Composite Double Socket Arm
3) A Ram Mount cradle (with ball) for your device

The process:
My objective is to mount my unit as flush as possible and in direct line of sight without blocking the instrument display. I have tried many RamMount base pieces in various locations.
On that note,
1) the four handlebar bolts cannot be used on a 1200R as they interfered with the steering damper or their use blocks the instrument view.
2) The center part of the handlebar itself can't be used either for the same reasons.
3) Various clutch side bolts can be used but your unit will not be in direct line of sight. The esthetics is also questionable.
4) The steering damper pivot screw rotates on two "0" rings. BTW, I've tried it and for me, that's a no go.

5) This leaves us with two forward locations: a) clamping to the steering damper or b) using its right side bolt.

With the exception of the Ram EZ-Mount any clamp base attached to the steering damper will elevates your unit 3"and dead center. Not good. The Ram EZ-Mount however, is very flush but is held to the steering damper by two zip ties which could break or rotate. Consequently, the steering damper's right side bolt is my preferred location as a base.

I have tried a few ram ball base pieces where the best choice as previously mentioned, was this one:
RAM® 9mm Angled Bolt Head Adapter Ball Base

Moreover, it fits right side up and upside down where the latter will position your unit 1" both forward and lower. Your preference may be determined by the size of your device.
I've had this set-up since late 2016 without issues.

More recently, I'm thinking of freeing my pocket and replacing the Garmin with my phone mounted with a Quad-Lock universal mount that's compatible with the Ram Mount pieces mentioned previously.

For power, I used the following:

OptiMate CABLE O-47 Adapter for DUCATI to SAE
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHPBF46/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit SAE to USB Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Motopower-0609A-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Charger/dp/B01DYE54LI/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Dual Micro USB / Mini USB Splitter Cable - Charge up two Devices
https://www.amazon.com/iFlash®-Dual-Micro-Splitter-Cable/dp/B008CN1MLI/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: dean_park

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is fantastic, thank you so much, especially for the detail and the explanation of how/why you did it!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Tada!
You may wan to get that rubber band that secures the phone to the X-mount.
It's only a couple of bucks and will give you piece of mind when the front wheel is off the ground.

·
Registered
Diavel Carbon
130 Posts
QuadLock, hands down....!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
QuadLock, hands down....!
I have the QuadLock on my Multistrada and very satisfied by the solidity.
When / If I replace the GPS with a phone on the Monster 1200R, the QuadLock Motorcycle - 1" Ball Adaptor is compatible with the current Ram Mount set-up.
Screenshot from 2020-08-08 14:33:05.png

1 - 7 of 7 Posts