Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

12000 service Frasers Sydney

3K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  TimOz 
#1 ·
for those interested got the 2011 ECU reflash with the service. apparently they only just got it and mine was the second to have it done. this is the Official 2011 spec ECU upgrade with ABS improvements. i will be sure to give it a test over the week.:D As for fueling, i was pretty happy with the unofficial upgrade last yr so time will tell whether i can notice any difference in performance/mileage.

As for Frasers themselves i am quite happy to report that the level of service was good ( i dont take my Harley there cause of poor service yrs ago , but im pretty happy with how they went about their business today and looked after me )

#17 ·
I noticed this for a split second this afternoon while I was turning on the dash just to check the trip meter, but was never able to make it show the warning again. Doesn't seem to matter what I do. So I know it's hiding there somewhere, but doesn't seem to want to play ball.

#3 ·
for those interested got the 2011 ECU reflash with the service. apparently they only just got it and mine was the second to have it done. this is the Official 2011 spec ECU upgrade with ABS improvements. i will be sure to give it a test over the week.:D As for fueling, i was pretty happy with the unofficial upgrade last yr so time will tell whether i can notice any difference in performance/mileage. QUOTE]

Are you sure about the ABS upgrade? Do you know what they did to the ABS?
I have beed assured that there is no ABS upgrade by my dealer.

Cheers,

#4 ·
for those interested got the 2011 ECU reflash with the service. apparently they only just got it and mine was the second to have it done. this is the Official 2011 spec ECU upgrade with ABS improvements. i will be sure to give it a test over the week.:D As for fueling, i was pretty happy with the unofficial upgrade last yr so time will tell whether i can notice any difference in performance/mileage. QUOTE]

Are you sure about the ABS upgrade? Do you know what they did to the ABS?
I have beed assured that there is no ABS upgrade by my dealer.

Cheers,
\

pete , i was advised by the head of service at Frasers that the flash was the official 2011 spec and that it included an upgrade to ABS . he advised that NFI only rec'd it "days ago" . Cant say any more or less than what i was told. I did not go in there to get it done so it came as a surprise that when i picked up bike that is what i was advised. there is a change on dash so i know that there has been an upgrade... a few planned emergency stops when i get the chance may tell me whether the abs has improved .... the fact that NFI occupy the same building gives me some level of confidence that the head of service knows what he is talking about. I mentioned this to the Ducati sales guy on the way out and he also seemed to know about the 2011 spec upgrade. BTW He said that the latches for the panniers were due in next month. - a model on the floor had them on. The latches seemed to work quite well, and not nearly as bad as speculated months ago when first announced

#5 ·
tested the improved ABS

imho the abs front wheel appears to cut in with less effort ( ie not as hard braking , but the abs is then more consistent in its on/off. Before , if the ABS did kick in under very hard braking, it almost gave the impression that the brake then "failed" for a brief moment. Overall , i would say that there has been an improvement through consistency of application of the abs and therefore better stopping distance. the rear tyre also appears to be doign a better job. Before ( again imo ) , once the abs kicked in , it stayed kicked in , and the rear provided no stopping power whatsoever. that has now changed.

#6 ·
After reading that the 2011 ecu flash was finally available in Australia I had it done today at Frasers as well.
I have the full Termi system. I noticed that the bike didn't sputter, cough and backfire anywhere near as much. The power delivery is now superb. The bike didn't seem that it would stall on takeoff as it did this morning before the update.

Whilst I havent noticed that it warns you to put the red switch in the upright position on engine off (as has been written) I did notice that the fuel consumption now reads Litres per 100 Kilometres not the stupid and unheard on Kilometres per Litre that it used to be. (By the way, it was 6.1 lt per 100km in city cycle which I am very happy with).

The ignition, steering lock and power off now work immediately and without hesitation- one of my previous gripes.

I couldn't get the abs to activate in the dry- which is a good thing. It used to activate and extend the stopping distance excessively. Wet and slippery roads will show how good this update is for the ABS.

Whilst we dont have the pannier latches yet in Australia (one more week?) I looked at them on an '11 model in the showroom and I dont think that they are offensive in appearance.

Conclusion
- dont wait for a service to get this update. It makes a great bike with some stupid defects perfect.

-I now have more faith in Ducati- even if they are a little slow to fix problems.

Only ongoing gripes-

the centrestand should be designed even better than the '11 model and replaced on all MTS1200's (I've ordered an SW-Motech which is hopefully better designed
the rear brake still doesn't work (yes, I know its identical to the HM1100 that I have and that does work) and I don't know why.

#7 ·
Hi, I also had the update done yesterday & agree completely with what you say (mine is a Touring with full termi system). Much nicer bike. I confirmed that it included an ecu firmware update.
"Whilst I havent noticed that it warns you to put the red switch in the upright position on engine off (as has been written)" You require a new RHS switch, like mine does. If you can get the switch in a certain position, it will show the message, my mechanic showed me how the switch was intermittent & has ordered the updated switch.
Cheers,

#8 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE: After reading that the 2011 ecu flash was finally available in Australia I had it done today at Frasers as well. **

Did you call in or book in and get the update done?
Did you receive a letter in the mail from Ducati re having the update installed?
Was it done when you had a sevice done?
I was told by Frasers Service Dept. I need to wait for Ducati to send me a letter to get the update done. This is apparently so Frasers can claim the update on warranty.

#10 ·
I had some stuff done to my bike yesterday and whilst it was there they applied (according to the service guy) 4 different ECU updates: Engine ECU, ABS, DTC, and Dash. Haven't ridden much since, but did notice the following:

The bike feels smoother on overrun. The dash displays fuel consumption in L/100km instead of km/L. Wasn't able to test ABS or DTC. I like km/L so I hope there's a way to switch it back - perhaps the same menu where you select units? After all, nobody uses "gallons per hundred miles" :think:

I looked for the "switch still down" warning but couldn't make it happen.

By the way, they checked my brakes as I wasn't happy with the "pulsating" feeling I spoke about in a previous post, and they found my discs were warped (slightly). They are going to replace my discs and pads under warranty :)

They found air in my rear brake line and bled it out. Result: the rear brake is now what I would consider satisfactory. A vast improvement. All in all, a good service!

#21 ·
No Tim, I was in the "outer east" shop to have my electric fuel cap fitted after it finally arrived and they just told me there were 4 updates waiting for me! Unfortunately, one of the latest updates happened to prevent their computer console from being able to enter the screen where you enable the cap, so it's still not fitted. Ducati is looking at this "bug" now.

Apart from that, I had my rear brake bled, clutch fluid replaced, and chain cleaned and adjusted (as well as the updates of course). Very happy indeed, and will be even happier once the warped rotors are replaced and the fuel cap fitted... to be continued! :)

#23 ·
Kitesurfer I hope this isn't a future trend as my discs and pads were replaced yesterday due to them being warped! The damage one of the "speed nuts" in the change over so have to wait for a replacement from Italy!! Not real impressed by that! At the same time had an engine error "Error DES Preload" which they say has been fixed by a new DES ECU update. We'll see as I have yet to pick the bike up and check it out!

#24 ·
Apparently it's not limited to the MTS1200. There seems to be a random spread of warped rotors across bikes. I am assured that once they are replaced, the problem won't re-occur (it hasn't with any of the other bikes that have shown the same symptom).

Also - the software update has been "updated" again to fix the issue with the menu required to enable the fuel cap. Once the rotors and pads have arrived I will be having the lot done. Will let you know how it goes.

Should I mention the "speed nut" when I drop it off? Probably better not to jinx them/myself!

#25 · (Edited)
Back in the old days (when I rode Triumph Tigers), there was a spate of warped disks. The Tigers used Thailand made "Sun" brand disks and I hated them. I never had a warped disk but they wore out really fast.

The point of this is that at the time, my friend who is a Triumph mechanic seemed to think it was related to water. His theory was that if you get a disk hot from braking hard or a few times in a row and then hit significant water, it could differentially cool the hot disk and warp it. There were a few cases where guys had 2 or 3 sets of front disks replaced. Maybe they are the guys who brake hard and ride in the wet?

Given we have had so much rain in Oz lately, do you guys with warped disks feel this could be the cause? You been riding through puddles again??? ;)

#26 ·
Back in the old days (when I rode Triumph Tigers), there was a spate of warped disks. The Tigers used Thailand made Sum brand disks and I hated them. I never had a warped disk but they wore out really fast.

The point of this is that at the time, my friend who is a Triumph mechanic seemed to think it was related to water. His theory was that if you get a disk hot from braking hard or a few times in a row and then hit significant water, it could differentially cool the hot disk and warp it. There were a few cases where guys had 2 or 3 sets of front disks replaced. Maybe they are the guys who brake hard and ride in the wet?

Given we have had so much rain in Oz lately, do you guys with warped disks feel this could be the cause? You been riding through puddles again??? ;)
Hmmmm I do ride every day: rain hail or shine. I had wondered if this was possible, but I would have expected to feel the effect immediately after hitting the water. Given that it's hard to use brakes heavily when it's raining, I doubt this was the cause. Having said that, my VFR was ridden rain, hail, and shine also, and it NEVER exhibited even the slightest amount of warping in 70,000km!

#28 ·
Using a disk lock whilst riding is not recommended :p

Seriously though, is there anything other than anecdotal evidence to suggest the fitment of a disk lock whilst parked can warp your disk? I doubt it. There is no stress of any kind and although the lock may act as a heat sink to that particular portion of the disk, so too do the brake pads and calipers. :confused:

#29 ·
I got the bike back today with new discs and the latest and greatest ECU upgrades. This included mapping, Ohlins upgrade (which fixed the DES Error), ABS upgrade, gauges calibration changes for km/l;stalling issues, steering lock etc. Bike seems to be running well and definitely feels smoother and more settled. The mechanic said that one of the bolts for a disc was extremely difficult to remove as a result some damage occurred in getting it off so it was replaced. I would say that this is pretty unusual. He also said that a letter was being sent out from Ducati shortly to all owners re the ECU upgrades. I think this will go a long way to addressing issues. I also ride in the rain and recently did a reasonably quick 1000km day to Melbourne with rain all the way. It was after that that I began to notice the brake issues so it may be related to the warped discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.