Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my few negatives for the 1200 is that the chain seems to need adjustment a lot (at least compared to my 1000DS- I wonder if the extra 75 hp cold be an issue?). At each adjustment, it's been harder and harder to get the notched adjuster ring to turn. I was doing the 4th adjustment this morning (at 12.5k miles) and the bastard simply wouldn't move. After several skinned knuckles I was seriously ready to go to the hardware store and get a 2 foot pipe as an extension bar! BTW, I am using an aftermarket wrench, loads better than the POS in the toolkit- but no movement at all.

How to break it loose? Spray penetrating lube? Might mess up bearings...Extension bar- maybe strip something and FUBAR...Break it loose, break it....BRAKE!!!!!!!

yep- rolled the bike backwards and forwards a few times, stopping it with the rear brake only each time, and VOILA! Adjuster turned as easy as the first time!!!!

I'm still going to dissasemble it and clean/lube at the next tire change. Still, a helpful hint...

·
Registered
692 Posts
One of my few negatives for the 1200 is that the chain seems to need adjustment a lot (at least compared to my 1000DS- I wonder if the extra 75 hp cold be an issue?).
Do you ride off road or in a "dirty" environment? Maybe increase chain cleaning frequency and/or change chain lube. Mine has about 11K miles on it...ridden pretty hard and have done a minor adjustment on mine only once.:think:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you ride off road or in a "dirty" environment? Maybe increase chain cleaning frequency and/or change chain lube. Mine has about 11K miles on it...ridden pretty hard and have done a minor adjustment on mine only once.:think:
I would have to agree with Buckeye...I've got 12,000 miles and have adjusted the chain once. I've done lots of offroad lately, but clean the chain right after. Every 3-500 miles of hard road riding gets cleaned also. Chain looks brand new sprocket in great shape. Error on the loose side of adjusting, for once you stretch the chain from adjusting it to tight, the chain will rapidly lengthen and degrade with time ( I used to like my chain tight years ago, being quieter and no lash, but they didn't last long at all and it got real expensive! ) ....you might be in need of a new chain already if your adjusting it that much, sorry to say. Thanks for the tip on freeing the hub loose, will remember that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would have to agree with Buckeye...I've got 12,000 motor fiend and have adjusted the chain once. I've done lots of offroad lately, but clean the chain right after. Every 3-500 miles of hard road riding gets cleaned also. Chain looks brand new sprocket in great shape. Error on the loose side of adjusting, for once you stretch the chain from adjusting it to tight, the chain will rapidly lengthen and degrade with time ( I used to like my chain tight years ago, being quieter and no lash, but they didn't last long at all and it got real expensive! ) ....you might be in need of a new chain already if your adjusting it that much, sorry to say. Thanks for the tip on freeing the hub loose, will remember that!
This. I had to adjust my chain twenty time and I only rode my bike for 7 miles. It was due to needing a new chain, maybe OP should look into it.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts

Look at the hole underneath the axle it should drip water if you get inside the SW wet as in washing it. if it plugs up you will have crud settle in there I think that makes the adjustment very gritty just think when you torque up the axle clamp bolts with crud in there can't be good...

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
One should keep the area clean , The eccentric axle has grease applied during assembly and you know how grease attracts dirt and grime , and the results .
I found a puddle of water under the axle after washing , which surprised me and looked up the Swing Arm in the manual and studied the info .

Check out the manual and see how your procedure "MAY" be deteriorating the eccentric hub and its machined mating surfaces.
It is worth checking the info out and understanding the ins and outs of the design...

·
Registered
131 Posts

Look at the hole underneath the axle it should drip water if you get inside the SW wet as in washing it. if it plugs up you will have crud settle in there I think that makes the adjustment very gritty just think when you torque up the axle clamp bolts with crud in there can't be good...
Beware the the Dark Side of Pressure Washing....:abduct:

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
The angle of the slot the pinch bolts squeeze is just asking for grit to get lodged in there .There seems to be a void around the eccenctric hub in the center that could trap grime in there . If you ran a water stream at the pinch bolt gap you should get a steady drip from the weep hole or MAYBE water could get water in the angular holes in the side of the swing arm???
As long as the water drains and does not collect there along with grime you should be ok.
The weep hole is doing what it is designed to do Let the water out....

I trailered the Multi for 2 days in Pouring rain to the ECM In an OPEN trailer .The chain was rusty . I was hauling ass at above posted highway speeds , and it sat outside at night in the rain I was expecting Issues with all the water.

No problems at all except the chain...:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts