TIA Aloha Alex

·
Registered
307 Posts
I want to know who has the 1200 base model, non ABS (cheap one) :rolleyes:

How do you like it? or not?

Do you wish you had the "upgraded model?"

TIA Aloha Alex
I have the Std ABS, by choice as I could afford either. I am well pleased I choose ABS because I believe this is a safety factor not to miss. I wanted this as an old man's sports bike and with the k's I've down in the my first 5 days of ownership, past first service, it is living up to my expectations.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got the base model and love it. I rode the 1200s touring and it was great. I've got 2600 miles on mine now and don't feel like I'm missing a thing. I got all the bags with mine. I tend to ride with my lady most often so pushing it through corners on my knees doesn't happen. I do ride solo with some of my friends and there sport bikes, and I can keep up just fine. I will be doing the tail of the dragon in Tennessee next month. Let's see how that goes. But I've got to tell you, the base is superior to many older models that have the olins suspension. Save the money if your not planning on using the 45 degrees of lean angle available on this bike.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
Save the money if your not planning on using the 45 degrees of lean angle available on this bike.
you should see him ride his Hyper....... :eek: :eek: :eek:

and the thought of him with another 35-40hp underneath him!

good luck with the hunt my friend,

·
Registered
265 Posts
Alex - I have a standard and it is a great bike. I know you have the motor of death(2) on your Hyper but power wise this bike is amazing. It is not quite as flickable as the Hyper. The front end does have a better feel then the Hyper (you know what I mean). Those two things make this a much better bike for me.

Add in the wind shield to take the blast off you chest makes it even better. I looked at the S but for the way I ride and the type of riding I do the standard was the best choice. If you are able to test ride one I think you would be very supprised.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Base Lover

Just hit 2000 miles on my base, non-ABS model.....most fun I've ever had.

I like being able to adjust the suspension exactly the way I want it....and Marzocchi and Sachs components are nothing to sneeze at. Took me two rides to get it sorted out (a little less compression damping and a little more rebound).

Got good deal on the bike itself...and that left a few bucks to trick it out: Ducati Performance tank and tail bag, LED mirrors, Enduro handguards, etc.

Can't go wrong in my opinion.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I bought the S model but had the std model ordered originally.
I'm glad I made the change as the electronic suspension and DTC system are NOT gimmicks; they are one of the biggest advances in the history of motorcycling.

I have a KTM supermoto to be 18 again on, the Ducati was a sport tourer bought for road riding and the occassional hard punt. It's everything Ducati says it is except for an Adventure bike (do they even say that?). Yes, it can be taken down nasty unsealed roads but you wouldn't take it off road; that's where the KTM Supermoto with extra tank and big wheels comes in.

Again; I'm glad I decided to pay that extra $6k (NZ$) and get the top spec S because if I hadn't, I'll always have been disapointed with the Marzocchi and Sachs suspension and would have spent that much on the bike making it 'better'.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alex - I have a standard and it is a great bike. I know you have the motor of death(2) on your Hyper but power wise this bike is amazing. It is not quite as flickable as the Hyper. The front end does have a better feel then the Hyper (you know what I mean). Those two things make this a much better bike for me.

Add in the wind shield to take the blast off you chest makes it even better. I looked at the S but for the way I ride and the type of riding I do the standard was the best choice. If you are able to test ride one I think you be very supprised.
Have you taken the Multi to the track yet? if so how was it? light enough? TIA Aloha Alex

·
Registered
307 Posts
I bought the S model but had the std model ordered originally.
I'm glad I made the change as the electronic suspension and DTC system are NOT gimmicks; they are one of the biggest advances in the history of motorcycling.

'better'.
It seems that a few with the electronic suspension do not realize that the standard still has DTC, and different engine maps. If you get the ABS the only thing missing is the electronic shocks ,With the electronic shocks you can adjust the rear for pre load the fronts are still manual !

A big plus fro some.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
One usually forgets how much one pays for something after some time:D:D:D
Personally I never look at old receipts, I haven't wrote a cheque in decades...
Wifey handles the taking out of money that's her job ...
My job is to put the money in....
Sounds fair HUH???

I think you would LOVE the OHLINS ...

Electronics takes some finagalling to get used to , sometimes you think it is the bike and sometimes you think it is Yourself , if it doesn't catch...

I believe once you (DUCATI) gets it all sorted out , you will be Happy...

I think you (and myself) would be happy with the base , I wanted the luggage , the other stuff =heated grips are really nice to have , center stand I could live without but it is there and can be removed easily...
For my level of riding I went over the top...
For your level I'm sure you can make the base work just fine with all your knowledge and experience...
It is just so EASY to switch back and forth...
I would like not to have ABS I think I can brake without it just fine ,, But it is there and who knows Maybe I`m using it and not knowing it...

NEVER LOOK AT WHAT YOU PAID FOR SOMETHING , AFTER YOU BOUGHT IT:D:D:D

Just say WRAP HER UP!!! I`ll take it...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a standard non ABS MTS. I have 6k miles on it. I've never looked back or second guessed my decision once. I use it for commuting daily and for touring. My wife and I have done 800 miles in three days on it. For 2 up riding I only adjust the rear preload. Not only do I love it, but she loves it as well.

Once you sort out the suspension, you'll be happy. I used the price difference to get all the access I wanted, full termi, large side bags, top case, center stand, etc.

Don't underestimate the standard model.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Alex - I have not taken it to the track yet but really looking forward to that day. I still have an extra set of forged wheels for track use. The only other thing I need to do is change the rear spring. I think the front is good but the rear is too soft (same with the Ohlins).

I can tell from riding in the canyons (even on the stock tires) that it would be faster on the track than the Hyper was for sure. The reason is better front end and way more power. I also would like to try a set on 1098SF bars just to see how they would feel. The stock bars are very comfortable but very wide.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have 6k miles on my standard with ABS and have no regrets that I didn't buy an S. There have been several threads along these lines, and the guys that have bought an S almost without exception have said it was worth it, while the guys that bought a standard don't regret it. If the electronic Ohlins are appealing, and the money isn't an issue, then that's the right route. I've been very happy with the Marzocchi/Sachs suspension, and I had an Ohlins equipped 1100S before this. I'm more of a set it and forget it kind of rider though, always riding in sport mode and solo. There are quite a few posts of electronic faults on the S suspension, none on the STD! :D It's just me, but I don't want to even have to think about replacing servos or having electronic suspension errors after the bike is out of warranty.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It seems that a few with the electronic suspension do not realize that the standard still has DTC, and different engine maps. If you get the ABS the only thing missing is the electronic shocks ,With the electronic shocks you can adjust the rear for pre load the fronts are still manual !

A big plus fro some.
Of course I knew that. My summary doesn't mention DTC, only the suspension, DTC was merely a comment based on other general comments about the MTS.

summary:
"Again; I'm glad I decided to pay that extra $6k (NZ$) and get the top spec S because if I hadn't, I'll always have been disapointed with the Marzocchi and Sachs suspension and would have spent that much on the bike making it 'better'. "

·
Registered
400 Posts
I want to know who has the 1200 base model, non ABS (cheap one) :rolleyes:

How do you like it? or not?

Do you wish you had the "upgraded model?"

TIA Aloha Alex
I've got the "cheap one" and very happy with it, I saved around 7k not getting the S model so that makes me like it even more... But I have to admit I have not ridden the S model so I can't really compare the two. A buddy has a new S model on order so I might be changing my opinion soon, but I doubt it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts