Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered fork springs for my 1200 Standard non ABS.
Stock rear...8,4

Stock front... .60kg per mm

Upgraded front... .95

I called Race Tech,they did the calcs for me.Turns out that with the Arrow 3/4 system the bike should be lite enough and the rear spring should be good...will wait and see how she feels.
The new spring rate for the Marzocchi forks will change from .60 to .95
I weigh 225 naked and 245lbs with race gear.New springs should be here on Tuesday!!Cant wait to see how this will help with ground clearance at a spirited pace in the twisties.Dragging my toes is getting old!
The bill with fork cap tool....about $250

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
RaceTech is good stuff. You won't be disappointed. I was actually on the phone with them today and ordered front/rear springs for my TTR pit bike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
.95 way to heavy, you should try .75 first. Dont forget you have about 8mm of preload you can still install on the front springs.

I can tell you now because I've just done it that you are going about it the wrong way.

It's the rear spring that makes this bike handle not the front.
I upgraded the rear to 10kg spring first and could have left the front alone it made that much difference but seeing I also purchased the 7.5 front spring and now have them installed they are more than adequate.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I put .95s in my Super Tenere, heavy bike (well 50 lbs more than the Multi12) and I am 180 lbs. OEM is dual rate, .84 - 1.17 IIRC.

I upgraded my multi12 rear to 90, and was more than pleased. The forks were soft but I sold before going there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
On my Sachs standard I went to a 95Nm rear with new Ohlins valving and am very pleased with the rear. Made a huge difference. But now the front wags it's nose at me when leaned over and hitting a bump so will get with the Ohlins guy to maybe do a full upgrade on the Marzocchi forks. I weigh 210lbs fyi.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Got with the guy....David at FastBikeIndustries, and have ordered a cartridge kit for the Marzocchi from the Andreani Group at Cartuccia ducati multistrada 1200 andreani / regolabile comp+est | Andreani Shop

David recommended 0.9kg/mm springs and Ohlins 7w fork oil.
"The recommended settings are 1.5 turns comp / 1.5 turns rebound / 2 lines preload. Adjust from that to suit rider."

I probably can't get around to installing until next month and will fill you guys in how it goes at that time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still waiting for spings.Should be here Monday!!!Cant wait to put her back together and try them out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You will love this set up

It's great. Have him build you a manual ohlins ttx and your golden.
Got with the guy....David at FastBikeIndustries, and have ordered a cartridge kit for the Marzocchi from the Andreani Group at Cartuccia ducati multistrada 1200 andreani / regolabile comp+est | Andreani Shop

David recommended 0.9kg/mm springs and Ohlins 7w fork oil.
"The recommended settings are 1.5 turns comp / 1.5 turns rebound / 2 lines preload. Adjust from that to suit rider."

I probably can't get around to installing until next month and will fill you guys in how it goes at that time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Did you get the fork cap tool? How much was it? Does it work? I'm about ready to do the install on the cartridge kit and am not sure how to get the fork cap off.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Pulled the forks.....will take it to race wrench friend and finish it tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I called a suspension shop not long after getting my standard last year and they did what they all do over the phone, whats your weight, riding style etc and said the upgrade was also to .95 in the front.

Which was maybe logical for a 1098, but not a MTS where the stock springs are .60kg. I mean really, we installed those .95s and it was like riding a 2x4 in the front. Took them out same day. Massively wrong.

When you test rode the bike if you thought it was that much of a mess in the handling I dont know why so many of us bought them in the first place. I sought a slight degree more stablity at higher speeds but all the heavier springs compromised the all important feel at full lean, which I do not want to give up. That often comes at the expense of simply getting used to a certain amount of movement, and riding smoother if you want to keep it that way. We all have so very different ideas of what makes a bike feel 'good' in a corner I'll wager that this flinging around of sag numbers & spring or damping setup changes & do this do that is I think very misleading. If we want less movement I would think to add more hydraulic damping which will slow down how quickly the ends move, while retaining the basic turn in properties. I know for certain I need it to turn in quickly, and evenly and allow me to tighten my line mid corner, any setting that breaks that arrangement gets undone.

If the bike felt more or less balanced enough and turned in well with the stock springs, APART from how much it shimmied mid corner, then making a big change to the front like that will quiet it down in one way which many may like, but for me I cannot feel a damn thing about what the front tire was doing and I'll take a lil movent for contact patch feel anyday.

Endlessly tricky affair suspension advice online, just be willing to experiment instead of looking for a quick fix. I tried 6 different combinations of front rear springs and ended up with the stock ones. For a 190lb human. Ha.

Z

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't know if that "ha" is pointed at me or not, but following FBI recommendations I changed the rear shock and it made all the diff in the world, and pointed up the lameness of the front. So....at David's recommendation, I've done the front. Gotta get around to finishing the installation.....hope to ride it by the weekend. Only then will I know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not at all. And never. Just at the overall challenge of finding what we all think we are looking for. Got to be in it for the long haul, keep learning, be willing to change your mind, and keep at it until you are satisfied. Even knowing that what that might mean could be different from what you think it will be when you start;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To anwser one questoin,the fork cap tool was $55
I asked if this was going to stiffen the front to much by installing .95's,they said no...the theory is ride hieght,which Im running out of on spirited rides.With the proper sag I should gain 2'' of ride hieght,thus gaining more ground clearance=more lean angle.
They sent the spings but not the tool:mad:So have to wait until Fri nite to install.
In theory,the spring rate will only give you the proper sag
(30% of the travel),the rest is done with comp. and rebound tuneing .
I am hoping to be happy with the upgrade.

Also wanted to add....I found that she handles very well,now that I ride with my hands open..seems she does not like tobe man-handled.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The new internals ended up being more difficult than I imagined so I took the forks to David @ Fast Bike Industries and watched him do his magic. Suspension people have to do more than read the directions it turns out. Installed the forks tonight and will ride the thing up Blood Mountain tomorrow. I'll tell y'all how it went after that. If the front is as improved as the rear I'll have the MTS 1200 I thought I bought.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had a base with the fork kit from FBI and it made a huge difference. I was also lucky enough to get my hands on a broken TTX of an S and David built it onto a standard TTX. After having this done the bike was as good as my old 1098. I then sold the bike after a bout of temporary insanity so I went back and picked up a PP. Now I need new springs lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Test ride

I had David at Fast Bike Industries rebuild both ends with upgraded internals and heavier springs....finally got to ride it today. I sent him this note:

"David,

We fixed it. The bike is now what I thought I bought. No wiggle or flap in the corners, no readjustment of line to correct a suspension that’s gone astray. No mystery bounce in the front or rear. The bike turns and stays where put until it’s time to do something else….the suspension controlling the chaos and power of this testastretta engine.

Thanks for knowing what to do and doing it."

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just ordered fork springs for my 1200 Standard non ABS.
Stock rear...8,4

Stock front... .60kg per mm

Upgraded front... .95

I called Race Tech,they did the calcs for me.Turns out that with the Arrow 3/4 system the bike should be lite enough and the rear spring should be good...will wait and see how she feels.
The new spring rate for the Marzocchi forks will change from .60 to .95
I weigh 225 naked and 245lbs with race gear.New springs should be here on Tuesday!!Cant wait to see how this will help with ground clearance at a spirited pace in the twisties.Dragging my toes is getting old!
I'm the same weight. I kept it stock last season, went to the 100nm rear and 7.5 fronts at the 7500mi service (I blew the fork seals with wheelies and figured it was a sign from the suspension Gods).
They set me up at 4 out from full (11 is the range) up front and that was too much preload.
I came out 1 full additional turn. For racing this weekend I'm planning on another full turn out and having at least 4 "go to" settings for different comp/rebounds.
With almost dead Pilot Road 2's, I felt all over in bumpy road corners. Really liked the soft better for twists and harsh pavement. Too much front end dive for my Rally Hill Climb races. Trying to find the sweet spot.
Don't set it up or use sag, travel, preload or rates meant for pure track superbikes. We ain't runnin' clip-ons on this beast!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts