Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Try to find a nice clean GT1000. I have a 2010 GT1000 that is great for all-day rides. I use a set of Nelson-Rigg throwover bags that turn the GT in to a legitimate tourer. The seat is great, and the riding position is ideal for touring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I always liked the GT. It probably would tour ok.

Noticed on the Australian Ducati site that their is now only the MTS 1200 and 1200s. Granturismo and PP are gone. Did some googling and someone reckons that the MTS is no longer being produced on production line. Only part support.

If thats correct, wonder whats coming to replace it? Maybe getting out of the saturated adventure bike market before the segment collapses!? Interesting. Maybe a more road based tourer coming - or not! Would suit me if there is.

Anyone heard anything?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Try to find a nice clean GT1000. I have a 2010 GT1000 that is great for all-day rides. I use a set of Nelson-Rigg throwover bags that turn the GT in to a legitimate tourer. The seat is great, and the riding position is ideal for touring.
A friend of mine has one, he also has a Multistrada 1100 S. Great bike but they only made them for a few years plus they didn't sell very well and as a result there aren't a ton of them out there and they hold their value well.

My friend has changed out a ton of things on his GT to make it better but he still isn't happy with it. Says it needs a steering damper now. He likes to tinker though.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I owned a Sport Classic for a short time, I know it's not as comfortable as the GT; however, everything else is very similar. For me it felt dated and underpowered albeit awesome to look at. From a handling, power & braking perspective it couldn't hold a candle to the new Monster. For a weekend tourer IMO the New Monster is a far better choice than the GT. :think:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey, anyone tried the Ducati panniers on their Monster (any)?

Getting close to deciding on a bike now. Taking a 1200S out for a long ride next week - 3hrs or so from a dealer - should help decide the issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What did you end up deciding on?

For what it's worth, I have a Monster 1200 and have done a few big days and a couple of over nighters on it. I think it tours reasonably well, was using a Givi Tanklock tankbag and a Kriega US20 on the tail.

I have just bought a pair of C-Bow panniers though, when they arrive I can re post on how they go, the Ducati panniers just seemed too expensive and intrusive to fit. Pretty sure they're made by Givi, the Givi panniers require you to move the indicators to fit them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are straps that are attached to the seat that are specifically for attaching a tail bag. The Kreiga bags attach like they were made for the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Or, for extra security, you can squeeze the Kriega straps under the subframe. Between the subframe and plastic guard. Useful if you've got a bit of weight in the bags.

·
Bon Vivant
10,410 Posts
Nobody has mentioned this yet but the new 2015 Multi is quite a bit lower than the current 1200 and it has an adjustable seat with an option for an even lower seat.

Whoever wrote that letter to Domenicali - he might not have replied but he was listening. Ducati have made the new MTS much more accessible. I sat on one at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and was quite impressed.

Maybe waiting for a look at the new MTS is a good plan?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I road my Monster 796 from LA to Atlanta GA 2500 miles. Most days we did around 400+ miles. One day we did 615. The first 3 days were great riding mostly back roads. Once the trip dictated 1500 miles of highway riding my back would start hurting withing the first 100 miles. Luckily I could only do about 130-140 miles per tank, so I could take a 10min break at the gas station. It was a great adventure and I had bar risers to help, but I would not do it again on a Monster. Also, with no windscreen by day 5 I could barely turn my head to look in the mirrors. 90-100mph wind for 4 days really put a strain on my neck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hellava ride Buffa! How old are you, if you don't mind, must be in your 30's? Still, hellava ride.
I'm looking at this older thread too, wonder what the mate from Australia got? That GT1000?
Myself, am still looking at the Monster. Came a 6 inch snow here though and snowing for days, so it's postponed for a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hellava ride Buffa! How old are you, if you don't mind, must be in your 30's? Still, hellava ride.
I'm looking at this older thread too, wonder what the mate from Australia got? That GT1000?
Myself, am still looking at the Monster. Came a 6 inch snow here though and snowing for days, so it's postponed for a while.
Thanks Davy, I'm 46. It was great fun, but I don't think I'll be doing 2500 miles on the Monster in one week again :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Weirdly enough, I have the tall touring seat on mine, it still has me upright but gets me more weight over the bar which helps with keeping the front end under control and keeps me in a sporty but still comfy riding position. I've done several 100-160mile days, nothing all day but at least one 6 hour straight ride and had no issues. I plan to it it out with a kriega bag system and a tank bag for long distance trips. The seat has attachment points under it just for that which is perfect.

Would be curious what people are getting on gas I leave per tNk, I've seen 160 to the tank once, but that implies I keep off the throttle and rpms down. Might buy a small half gallon fuel tank to stick in the kriega just in case.

It ends new adjustable rear sets, of the only things I really want to change on it, beyond the heavy arm on the swing arm that mounts the lines plate...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Weirdly enough, I have the tall touring seat on mine, it still has me upright but gets me more weight over the bar which helps with keeping the front end under control and keeps me in a sporty but still comfy riding position. I've done several 100-160mile days, nothing all day but at least one 6 hour straight ride and had no issues. I plan to it it out with a kriega bag system and a tank bag for long distance trips. The seat has attachment points under it just for that which is perfect.

Would be curious what people are getting on gas I leave per tNk, I've seen 160 to the tank once, but that implies I keep off the throttle and rpms down. Might buy a small half gallon fuel tank to stick in the kriega just in case.

It ends new adjustable rear sets, of the only things I really want to change on it, beyond the heavy arm on the swing arm that mounts the lines plate...
My low fuel light would come on at around 130-135 miles. That was non stop highway avg about 80-85mph

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd say if you're OK with sport touring- It's a great bike.

If you want a goldwing and that's your version of touring, don't buy a Monster amd get pissed off because you can't find reverse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rode a Monster 1200S, it's extremely comfortable. Just add a good windscreen and you're good to go. The seat is very adjustable, you can go low for a cruising comfort or you can set it higher for backroad running. :) Handlebar is spot-on comfortable. I'm at 5'9" and this is one of the few bikes that fits me like a glove.

Other bikes that fits me "like a glove" are Ducati Multistrada 1000 and 1200, Buell XB12S, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Triumph Street Triple, KTM Superduke 990 and 1290, Honda Hawk NT650, Ducati Scrambler, Ducati HyperMotard 1100.

So, you can try to look for a rig that fits you "like a glove". Keep demo'ing more bikes till you get the right one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd love to know what our friend from WA ended up getting.

I've done some reasonable distances on my 2013 MTS 1200S Touring - 2,500km around the North Island over 5 days. I had the standard panniers, top box and tank bag, and was very comfortable. It really is a seriously good bike.

I've had surgery on my knee recently, and with the centre stand down, using the left hand peg to swing your leg over does make things considerably easier.

Planning a European trip next year, and thinking of getting a Monster 1200S with the Ducati panniers and liners. Apart from a couple of long days (e.g., Paris to the Alps) we will be spending most of the time in the Alps, so long straight days will be rare. Anyone else done modest touring on the Monster 1200S?

Cheers
John

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'd say if you're OK with sport touring- It's a great bike.

If you want a goldwing and that's your version of touring, don't buy a Monster amd get pissed off because you can't find reverse.

You don't have to go with a Goldwing.

I still say the Multistrada is plenty hooligan... only much more comfortable. It puts the sport in sport touring. Hell, people do track days on these bikes. They are plenty capable in the twisties, I know mine is. I owned a Monster 1100 EVO before this and ever since I first rode the Multistrada I knew I wanted one... and now I do. :grin2:

I'm up to 2600 miles on mine now. I have absolutely no regrets trading the Monster for this.

Plus, it comes with panniers, a windscreen and heated grips. ;)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts