Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DVT has been having starting issues for a while now. When I try to start it after it has been sitting for a day or more, it will catch and then stall almost immediately. If I try to start it again it appears to be flooded and will not catch again until I let it sit for a couple of minutes. The next few tries will exhibit the same problem with the duration to the running time getting a bit longer each time until it finally runs properly. For the rest of the day it starts with no problems. I play with the throttle the third or forth time and can sometimes catch get it to run a bit earlier that way.

I took it in and was told the plugs were fouled so they changed them (dealer said I let it idle too much which I don't). First day back from the shop, same problem. I think the fouled plugs are a symptom of the problem, not the cause. Only 4700km on the bike when it first went in for this issue and its scheduled in again for this issue in a couple of weeks (about 6500km on it now). I have no problems with my dealership and I assume they will get to the bottom of this issue before my new set of plugs are fouled again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so has anyone determined the cause?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was having the same issue.
I thought it was because I removed the db killer from the Termi or because of the evap canister.
I removed the evap can and that was no help.

I changed my starting procedure as follows and the problem has not returned:

Power up the bike and wait for everything to cycle.
Twist the throttle and release so the throttle bodies cycle open and closed.
Don't touch the throttle grip and press the starter button untill it fires.

This has worked flawlessly now for the past 3 days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was having the same issue.
I thought it was because I removed the db killer from the Termi or because of the evap canister.
I removed the evap can and that was no help.

I changed my starting procedure as follows and the problem has not returned:

Thanks, ran right out and tried it but no joy. Died and flooded as usual:crying:. My bike is stock (no Termi and still has the evap can)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Make sure the little buzzing noise stops.
Don't touch the throttle grip and press the starter button until it fires.
I had a similar issue every so often and sometimes it would never even catch. I do a similar procedure to neulee but without the throttle cycle (see above) and it works every time. I've been starting it like this for the past 6 months or so without issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seems if bike has been sitting for a few days and it's cold outside 50ish degrees it will take a few start cycles to run sometimes. Then it's fine after that. I think it's because the bike is running too lean for emission purposes (also I think it runs lean in general). I removed evap have stock exhaust. Lean fueling /cold outside temp equals hard starting. I've purchased a termi exhaust with up map and I'm going to see if this corrects the issue. I think lean fueling also contributes to tq dip.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Had this happen for the first time this evening at my girlfriend's place when I was leaving. It would try to catch but wouldn't. Tried several cycles, no joy. Finally had to blip the throttle slightly when it tried to catch to get it going and hold the idle open slightly to prevent it from dying. Head scratcher. It's as if an idle air inlet valve, if it has one, was not setting properly. Not worried about it unless it becomes a trend.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Mine (2010) sometimes needs a second crack at starting, especially when it's quite cold. It will start normally after cranking for a few seconds, then run a few seconds, then stop. It almost always starts and runs normally on the second try.

Generally, I have noticed that this almost never happens when the tank is full, and almost always happens when the tank is close to empty.

I wonder if it's a fuel pressure related problem?

·
Vendor
487 Posts

How long does it take before it starts? (1,2,3,4,5 seconds?)

Newer Harleys have a compression release system that only actuates after the boot up procedure.

If the rider hits the starter button before it ends the release is not actuated.

And they prematurely burn out their starter motor.

Perhaps Ducati have some sort of last step actuation of a timing or mapping function (based on ambient temp for instance) that is not documented.

Thanks,

M./

1 - 8 of 8 Posts