Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owners manual says I take my 1098S in at the earlier of 12 months or 7,500 miles for scheduled maintenance. Is that what people do? Everyone talks about the "7,500 mile" service. If i go in at 12 months she will only have about 3,500 miles on her.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm at 4800 miles in 12 1/2 months on my 848. Don't plan on going in til 7500 miles which at this rate will be closer to 2 years...

·
Registered
818 Posts
hmm, in that case I'd say you take it in "at the earlier of 12 months or 7,500 miles for scheduled maintenance"

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
hmm, in that case I'd say you take it in "at the earlier of 12 months or 7,500 miles for scheduled maintenance"
Well in the old days (desmoquattro) it was 6,000 miles but I think you'll find the wording (or at least the intention) is 7,500 miles OR 12 months, whichever is the sooner, meaning at 7,500 miles if you do that in less than 12 months or if not at 12 months even if the mileage is low.

However, whilst I agree with that philosophy to some extent as in oil and belts to be changed after a time period if mileage not reached I can't agree with, for example valve clearances.

Example being; If I have a full service (valves, belts, oil etc) on my bike today and only do 1000 miles in a two years then the oil may have moisture in it and the belts may have 'set' and require changing but the valve clearances will only have moved by 1000 miles worth, or to give an extreme example if I don't ride my bike for 5 or even 10 years, the belts may be toast and the oil may be deteriorated but the valve clearances haven't changed.

To my mind this '50% less servicing' claim simply embraces, in part, that philosophy...

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know what it says, the question is more what is needed and what is done by people in the know.

It also says come in at 600 miles for the first service but Pro Italia says they would rather see it at 900.

If the answer is that you take it in at 12 months no matter what, then I'll take it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts