Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2012 1199 Panigale with 2500 miles on it and looks showroom new. While on my first full ride (about 20 miles in) the check engine light came on and it stalled at a 3 way stop sign. It started back up with the check engine light on and it sputtering a little. I returned home, shut it off a few minutes later started it back up and the check engine, engine light were then on and it rans very rough. Called the dealer and he advised bringing it in, troubleshot it to a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor I believe the vertical one. He suggested I replace them both but I choose to only replace the faulty sensor.

Bike ran great for a few rides then it cut out on me as if it was running out of gas, the tank was half full. Fortunately i was close enough to home that I pushed it home. Filled it up with BP gas and took it out and it ran fine, was thinking maybe I had some bad gas from a GULF station. Today took it back out again and it felt like it was running out of gas and wouldn't start again. I waited on the shoulder for about 30 minutes and it started back up and made it home (about 15 miles).

There are no service or check engine lights illuminated this time.

I always run premium fuel 92 or 93 octane. I just installed the heat shield kit. Oil was changed while the dealer serviced the MAS. Bike currently has 3050 miles on it.

Any ideas as o what may be causing the problem??

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
or possibly a crimped fuel tank breather hose not allowing the tank to vent properly, if the dealer had it apart recently they may have put it back together carelessly....

·
Registered
340 Posts
What were the error codes from the check engine light? If the code was for MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor (these don’t have mass air flow sensors), check the hose for leaks or pinches.

I have seen on more than one occasion the throttle body computers fail. Each throttle is controlled individually by its own motor/controller. Sometimes they fail electronically and need to be replaced. They’re not cheap. But they almost can’t be misdiagnosed, they will throw a code when they fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The code was a P0106 Vertical MAP sensor {Short circuit to supply or open circuit} (ATT) The listed is U0100 ECU CAN data lost (MEM)

I spoke with the service manager this morning and he suggested that I get the bike nice and warm and wind it up to red line then abrouptly cut the throttle to allow the Engine Braking Control to reset or pull a vacuum.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Did you purchase this bike from a dealer? If so I would hope that they would stand by it at least a little--unless you have had it for a while --longer then they would warranty anything for. If you did purchase the bike from them I would let them take it out and give it an Italian tune-up to see if that fixes the issue since they know what they are looking for.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I just read your original post again --you did have the bike at the dealer and they were supposed to fix the problem yet the issue persists--take it back to them and tell them they were supposed to fix the issue and they have not, you may have to purchase the other MAFS but they did the diagnosis so hold their feet to the fire

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased the bike from a private seller so no warranty. The dealer did resolve the original issue yellow check engine and red engine light and it was running very rough. Now it runs fine for a while 20 to 30 minutes then acts as if it ran out of gas. No idiot lights illuminated.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I would check the tank vent line just because thats pretty easy--if that line inside the tank is kinked it could allow the tank to vapor lock--ie allow no ventilation and the tank does need to breath. It's somewhere to start if nothing else--also see if you can get some fuel with no ethanol ---Try a local airport or marina both will have non-ethanol fuel--thats 2 easy things to try and 2 things to rule out

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I originally took it in for a orange check engine and red engine light on my dash which they resolved. Now it is just dying on me as if it ran out of gas but no service lights on. I did lift the tank to see if I maybe had a pinched vapor line to the charcoal canister and when I was inspecting things I noticed the rubber seal to the air box may not have been seated properly. Does anyone think that can be causing the issue? I did make sure it was sealed properly and have not had the issue the past 4 rides. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
When it dies on you, open the fuel cap as soon as you're stopped. If it's hard to open, and you hear a whoosh of air going into the tank, you have a venting issue.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a 1199 pani and I’d like to know about removing the charcoal canister, what will it accomplish?
Resolves hot starting issue. It's a common mod. I don't know if this is across the board issue with newer bikes, but 899/1199 pretty common hot starting issue, due to saturated carbon canister, and removing it is a simple, permanent cure for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts