Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be straight, I'm a little disappointed about the new 1199 reviews and comparison.
It was my feeling that ducati make the ultimate superbike, raw force, sublime shapes, almost animallic soul. Of cours, all that come with the right price, need for constant attention, hard ergonomics and so on, but isn't like this that a real exotic superbike like Ducati should be?
I guess I'm never going to see the Ducati in the first place of a superbike comparisons because of the price and slowly I am afraid that Ducati is going to lost his "soul" in the process. It's very good to have the best ergonomics, cleanest engines, tamed machines with all those fancy technologies on them, but what about the guys like me who want the exotic bike, not the future enterprise space ship, who want the feel of raw power and not to be free to play with the throttle? I guess I'm the last one, and the 1198 will be my last superbike. ...... Or maybe after some years I will change my mind, who knows.

2012 superbike smackdown IX Street 2012 Superbike Smackdown IX Street - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
To be straight, I'm a little disappointed about the new 1199 reviews and comparison.
It was my feeling that ducati make the ultimate superbike, raw force, sublime shapes, almost animallic soul. Of cours, all that come with the right price, need for constant attention, hard ergonomics and so on, but isn't like this that a real exotic superbike like Ducati should be?
I guess I'm never going to see the Ducati in the first place of a superbike comparisons because of the price and slowly I am afraid that Ducati is going to lost his "soul" in the process. It's very good to have the best ergonomics, cleanest engines, tamed machines with all those fancy technologies on them, but what about the guys like me who want the exotic bike, not the future enterprise space ship, who want the feel of raw power and not to be free to play with the throttle? I guess I'm the last one, and the 1198 will be my last superbike. ...... Or maybe after some years I will change my mind, who knows.

2012 superbike smackdown IX Street 2012 Superbike Smackdown IX Street - Motorcycle USA
The 1199 sounds right for you. Forget the comfy ergos, forget the puring kitty engine, and forget the tamed manner. This bike is pure exotic rawness. It boils your blood with no BS attitude. She doesnt like riding slow, if you do so she will burn the shit out of you just because she wants to. You twist the throttle and she doesnt back off, she pulls you into it asking for more. If you dont have to turn dont even think about doing so because just the mere thought of it makes her dive into the corners like a hunting dog chasing a rabbit. This bike reminds me of having sex with a nympho and getting slapped in the face while being burnt with a cigarette butt in my chest! It is THAT exciting.

·
Premium Member
2016 KTM Super Duke 1090R
189 Posts
The 1199 sounds right for you. Forget the comfy ergos, forget the puring kitty engine, and forget the tamed manner. This bike is pure exotic rawness. It boils your blood with no BS attitude. She doesnt like riding slow, if you do so she will burn the shit out of you just because she wants to. You twist the throttle and she doesnt back off, she pulls you into it asking for more. If you dont have to turn dont even think about doing so because just the mere thought of it makes her dive into the corners like a hunting dog chasing a rabbit. This bike reminds me of having sex with a nympho and getting slapped in the face while being burnt with a cigarette butt in my chest! It is THAT exciting.
:D well put!

·
Premium Member
166 Posts

If you base your decision on which bike is best by reading what some of these "expert test riders" say in an article you are making a huge mistake. Ride what you want/like and forget about what everyone else says. If you wanna be in the "me too" crowd just go by a Jap bike or the Bimmer.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I've got to be honest, if I were given the choice of a bmws1krr or the pani, I'd probably opt for the beemer. I spent two days on track with one and it's a brilliant bike and easy to ride well.

That said I've only got a few hundred road miles on my pani thus far but can say it's the first duc I've just not bonded with immediately I'm sure that'll change once I rack up some track laps on it.

Chris

·
Registered
477 Posts

Does Ferrari make the highest performing super car to date, no, but they build one hell of an exotic ride and regardless of the performance numbers they are still an iconic brand that is sought after. right..

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Crisan - this topic has been discussed at length in other threads, with a clear line forming in opinion between those who, like you (and me), are disappointed that Ducati's revolutionary Pani hasn't taken the undisputed superbike crown; and those people who either don't care (or pretend not to care). This second group makes comments like jfusaro's, and they are of course right - the 1199 is a fine thing in and of itself. Those of us who feel let down understand the counter-argument, after all we are Ducati owners. I'm sure those who make excuses or brush off the reviews as unimportant also understand our point; but they may not want to admit being a tiny bit disappointed too ...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Crisan - this topic has been discussed at length in other threads, with a clear line forming in opinion between those who, like you (and me), are disappointed that Ducati's revolutionary Pani hasn't taken the undisputed superbike crown; and those people who either don't care (or pretend not to care). This second group makes comments like jfusaro's, and they are of course right - the 1199 is a fine thing in and of itself. Those of us who feel let down understand the counter-argument, after all we are Ducati owners. I'm sure those who make excuses or brush off the reviews as unimportant also understand our point; but they may not want to admit being a tiny bit disappointed too ...
I am not disappointed at all. Yeah I look at the reviews and whatnot and they do have a valid point. The panigale sucks for street riding and might be a bit harder to ride than the bmw but it is much more rewarding in my opinion. Besides ducati has never built the best and fastest bike since ever. At least now they are on par with the japanese counterparts. The 1198 never won any crown but the "rides like an exotic" crown and neither did the 999. I am sure the panigale is still an advancement in their world and has left anything ducati has ever built before in the dust.

I know you might say I'm biased because I own one but believe me if it wasn't for how it rides I would have bought the bmw. I test drove the BMW and to me it seemed like a japanese bike on steroids. Does everything well but too well. I see beauty in the imperfection which makes the bike unique. If ducati would have really wanted to win over the others they would have gone conventional with a 4 can engine and one of those aluminum frames from the japanses production bikes. But no, they looked for something else. they built a bike with unique characteristics that no other bike could match such as an amazing engine with character and a frameless beauty, which is appealing to the eye as it is appealing to the soul.

Not talking about you eagle rider, but I can't help but feel there is some type of envy towards the panigale owners like there was for the 999 owners and the SF owners at the beginning. Admire what has been done by ducati which has worked their asses off to give us a beautiful machine which is worlds beyond what any of us could imagine.

Rant over

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me, personally it doesn't matter what some "experts" says. I have an 1198 and I am looking for a ugly-duc 1100 for touring, two bikes that were not nr.1 in neither of those magazine. I think I just want my ol Ducati back :D Probably I should grow up :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
...Not talking about you eagle rider, but I can't help but feel there is some type of envy towards the panigale owners like there was for the 999 owners and the SF owners at the beginning. Admire what has been done by ducati which has worked their asses off to give us a beautiful machine which is worlds beyond what any of us could imagine...
No doubt there are some envious people out there, and some of them may channel their envy by cheering the Pani's 'failure' in comparison tests. But most of us really, really wanted our beloved Ducati to knock one out of the park this time. The fact the reviewers feel they didn't do so can't help but disappoint - just a little.

Of course the whole story really isn't in yet: the 2012 S1000RR is suffering through an embarrassing recall which has hurt the bike's image, and we should be getting more racing news as the year moves along. Also, Ducati (or the aftermarket) may fix the glitches that can be fixed in the Pani; and in the end Ducati may reach the cheap seats on its second at-bat, or at least before the game is over ... :)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
For me, personally it doesn't matter what some "experts" says. I have an 1198 and I am looking for a ugly-duc 1100 for touring, two bikes that were not nr.1 in neither of those magazine. I think I just want my ol Ducati back :D Probably I should grow up :D
Go get that ugly duckling! Its always good knowing everyone else's opinion but in the end you are the one who knows what is best for you and how your decisions will affect you.

No doubt there are some envious people out there, and some of them may channel their envy by cheering the Pani's 'failure' in comparison tests. But most of us really, really wanted our beloved Ducati to knock one out of the park this time. The fact the reviewers feel they didn't do so can't help but disappoint - just a little.

Of course the whole story really isn't in yet: the 2012 S1000RR is suffering through an embarrassing recall which has hurt the bike's image, and we should be getting more racing news as the year moves along. Also, Ducati (or the aftermarket) may fix the glitches that can be fixed in the Pani; and in the end Ducati may reach the cheap seats on its second at-bat, or at least before the game is over ... :)
Lest not forget what the poor 848 SF owners are going through right now enduring the harshness of the big SF guys. I am sure it is a wonderful machine, some people just can't accept things for what they are.

My heart is with the panigale. I know it will show its strengths on the track, where it really matters :cool:

·
Bon Vivant
10,965 Posts
My heart is with the panigale. I know it will show its strengths on the track, where it really matters
It's strength on the track matters to who? I agree, the 1199 was designed for the track and that is where it will shine.
But for those of us who want a bike that works well - no, one that rips up the street, the pani is a let-down.
I agree with the OP, the 1198 is the last Ducati SBK that owns the street.
It's performance on the track doesn't matter to me.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
those who buy them as street bikes will be the first to sell them.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
But for those of us who want a bike that works well - no, one that rips up the street, the pani is a let-down.
And this is why ducati makes the streetfighter. I am still young and can easily take the pain and suffering in the streets knowing that when it's time for the bike to do what it was built for it will do it well.

·
Patriot
78 Posts
still 1199

Literally speaking ... i wouldn't trade mine for a couple of BMW or nor whole lined up of any of those competitiors..

Hope and i pray ... they'd build a forge aluminum frames/ nor whatever test of time ( race proven ) Thresholds may arised..... which i contacted the Ducati Itallia and Ducati USA on such concern/possible concept.

·
Bon Vivant
10,965 Posts
those who buy them as street bikes will be the first to sell them.
yep - some will sell quicker than others :rolleyes: and it has little to do with comfort Lsberrios1, although I was expecting it to be more comfortable than it is.
It's all about the power delivery (to me anyway), it's just not ideal for street riding.

I've already seen several used panis pop up here and there with just a few hundred miles on them.

·
Patriot
78 Posts
1199 street

still in process of breaking in ..it ( canyons and street ) the the 1199.... i would say, the bike is way more comfortable, smooth,nimble,stable, light than ( my BAZZAZ ) mapped Grandma Streetfighter S... 10 folds.

heating underneath the seat could be a main concern...... but, wouldn't ride the 1199 on an expected Traffic congestion on any streets or highways with weather as high as 90 and above 'deg..

Torque control / comfort can be handled by map option available... and definetly can be change while riding or mobile.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
still in process of breaking in ..it ( canyons and street ) the the 1199.... i would say, the bike is way more comfortable, smooth,nimble,stable, light than ( my BAZZAZ ) mapped Grandma Streetfighter S... 10 folds.

heating underneath the seat could be a main concern...... but, wouldn't ride the 1199 on an expected Traffic congestion on any streets or highways with weather as high as 90 and above 'deg..

Torque control / comfort can be handled by map option available... and definetly can be change while riding or mobile.
Glad to see you are enjoying yours as much as I am mine. I guess it's a matter of taste but to me the 1199 does everything the SF does and does it better. I havent had the chance yet to take it on canyons but I am sure it will kill it there as well.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
I am afraid that Ducati is going to lost his "soul" in the process.
Wasn't there recent "Lost Soul" thread just few month ago?

To each his own, you want something that "tops the charts", Why? All those comparisons and magazine write ups are bias, it's you as a consumer who decided who's a top dog!

To me the ultimate Superbike is still something from the 90's, there are few that "speak to me", I have friends who think 80's bikes are the bees knees... my point is, it's what you make of it, not what some keyboard jockey tells you!

No doubt 1199 is gonna be someones "wet dream" or "ultimate Superbike", for me it's just a great bike that I can't afford, nor I want to unless I had money to burn because for the sticker price of 1199 I can get several bikes that will cover full range of possible functions: dirt, sport, touring, hooligan... actually I do have several bikes that do just that plus few extra nostalgia projects, if I sell some of them I can get 1199S.... nah, ain't happening!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
... Lest not forget what the poor 848 SF owners are going through right now enduring the harshness of the big SF guys...
This may sound odd coming from a guy who runs around on a beastly 1198SP, but I think the 848 Streetfighter should make a better machine than the 1098 SF, much the same way that Triumph's 675cc Street Triple rates over their 1050cc Speed Triple. Both larger machines have more power than can be used, with the extra weight and reduced nimbleness that can complicate handling.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts