Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day people!

I recently got my Panigale and the bike is amazing. Just the handling itself is pure awesomeness to the 9th power. Dont know about the power yet since I cant unwind the 195 horses until after break in. It is unholy uncomfortable! The seat is so effin hard and the suspension is so stiff im crippled after 45 min of riding. Having said that I dont care. The bike is awesome in so many ways.

So now the Q. Does anybody know how to correctly setup the DES? Is there any standardized setup for different weights and whatnot?

I might be asking a bit too much but you never know what is out there. I just wanna make sure that I didnt tweak it in order that it will ride horribly.

Any input welcome..

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
you really think it's uncomfortable? I can sit in the seat for 3-4hrs no prob. I've left my DES alone so far. I think the stock settings could be stiffer, but I like my suspension pretty stiff. I too would like to figure out the DES better. subscribed.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you really think it's uncomfortable? I can sit in the seat for 3-4hrs no prob. I've left my DES alone so far. I think the stock settings could be stiffer, but I like my suspension pretty stiff. I too would like to figure out the DES better. subscribed.
I think the ergos are nice is just the seat I prostate is numb after a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Luis,
one of your poor cousins here, ;) I don't have the dilemma of settin gup DES I've got the base model.

One thing a lot of people are doing is changing from the F (flat) to P (progressive) on the shock, I think the S has the same set up. Look by the spring you should see two bolt holes one with a bolt in it. The p is recommended for two up riding but a lot of singles are using it as well, that said I'm still in F.

The stock seat is hard, lots of people love the comfort seat. I like the looks of the racing seat myself, but I'll probably just keep it stock.

Good luck with the bike
We'll have to get together and ride sometime!
Chris

Good day people!

I recently got my Panigale and the bike is amazing. Just the handling itself is pure awesomeness to the 9th power. Dont know about the power yet since I cant unwind the 195 horses until after break in. It is unholy uncomfortable! The seat is so effin hard and the suspension is so stiff im crippled after 45 min of riding. Having said that I dont care. The bike is awesome in so many ways.

So now the Q. Does anybody know how to correctly setup the DES? Is there any standardized setup for different weights and whatnot?

I might be asking a bit too much but you never know what is out there. I just wanna make sure that I didnt tweak it in order that it will ride horribly.

Any input welcome..

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you screw the bolt for the seat all the way in :D. jk haha
hahaa I like it sticking out, it holds me in place! :eek: Sort of like the IT!

Flexi-Grips (Season 5, Episode 11) - Video Clips - South Park Studios

Luis,
one of your poor cousins here, ;) I don't have the dilemma of settin gup DES I've got the base model.

One thing a lot of people are doing is changing from the F (flat) to P (progressive) on the shock, I think the S has the same set up. Look by the spring you should see two bolt holes one with a bolt in it. The p is recommended for two up riding but a lot of singles are using it as well, that said I'm still in F.

The stock seat is hard, lots of people love the comfort seat. I like the looks of the racing seat myself, but I'll probably just keep it stock.

Good luck with the bike
We'll have to get together and ride sometime!
Chris
Need to check that Progressive shock. I wish I knew more about suspension and other mechanical stuff. I think I messed it up at the dealership thinking I needed more preload on the back since I am heavier. Is there any way to revert it back to the stock numbers? I cant remember them.

As for the seat I think I could get used to it but rather get the comfort seat. I am sure its pretty expensive though.

If you find yourself in ATL just let me know!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I weigh 225 and have left the stock sag settings alone for now. The only thing I did was switch the rear shock linkage over to P which is more compliant on the road and still feels great while cornering. Also the DP comfort seat is so much better than the stock one it's not funny. Enjoy your new bike! :D

-Dave

·
Registered
533 Posts
Also, preload is done manually so you would need to undo the two lock nuts on the shock and twist them out to get back to stock setting on the rear, anything else, rebound and compression in the riding mode menu, you can always go back to the stock setting by pressing "default". In my "Wet" mode I backed off two clicks on both compression and rebound for use on crummy city streets and you could easily feel the difference, it's great.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Luis,
Here are teh factory settings for the S

Rear shock absorber factory settings:
rebound: 10 clicks;
compression: 10 clicks;
spring preload: 23 mm.

I think the comfort seat is about same price as race seat $259

Chris

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I weigh 225 and have left the stock sag settings alone for now. The only thing I did was switch the rear shock linkage over to P which is more compliant on the road and still feels great while cornering. Also the DP comfort seat is so much better than the stock one it's not funny. Enjoy your new bike! :D

-Dave
Gotta get that comfort seat ASAP! its not that bad though as I am getting used to it pretty quickly.

Luis,
Here are teh factory settings for the S

Rear shock absorber factory settings:
rebound: 10 clicks;
compression: 10 clicks;
spring preload: 23 mm.

I think the comfort seat is about same price as race seat $259

Chris
Thanks Chris, I softened it and the difference is quite noticeable. I don't know why I put it so high when I got it at first. I guess I really don't know what I am doing.

The bike is wonderful! I feel at home with it and it handles SOOO GOOD I can't even explain it. Maybe its me but its the best ducati I've ever ridden and possibly the best bike too. the engine is superb for my taste. its smooth and sounds beastly. Might not have that torquey low end the SF had but I know that once I go past that 7,000 RPM its gonna try to kill me. Kind of like the thrill of being on a rodeo bull. All I can say so far is WOW! Even the bad things don't bother me because overall is a great machine.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Luis,
for suspension, you might consider Mike FItzgerald (Thermosman - you can find him on a web search). He sets up bikes for lots of ama teams and he's in woodstock, he worked wonders on my streetfighter at a barber track day. $40 initial charge to give a good starting point. And loads of good advice free.

Try as I might, all the articles I've read and I still don't grasp setup!

Also, are you running in sport mode (default is 195 hp - LO ie slower throttle response) or running race mode with 195 hp - HI ie fast throttle response), might make a difference.

Hoping to put enough mileage on this bike to get it up to NPR friday for service.

Chris

Gotta get that comfort seat ASAP! its not that bad though as I am getting used to it pretty quickly.

Thanks Chris, I softened it and the difference is quite noticeable. I don't know why I put it so high when I got it at first. I guess I really don't know what I am doing.

The bike is wonderful! I feel at home with it and it handles SOOO GOOD I can't even explain it. Maybe its me but its the best ducati I've ever ridden and possibly the best bike too. the engine is superb for my taste. its smooth and sounds beastly. Might not have that torquey low end the SF had but I know that once I go past that 7,000 RPM its gonna try to kill me. Kind of like the thrill of being on a rodeo bull. All I can say so far is WOW! Even the bad things don't bother me because overall is a great machine.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luis,
for suspension, you might consider Mike FItzgerald (Thermosman - you can find him on a web search). He sets up bikes for lots of ama teams and he's in woodstock, he worked wonders on my streetfighter at a barber track day. $40 initial charge to give a good starting point. And loads of good advice free.

Try as I might, all the articles I've read and I still don't grasp setup!

Also, are you running in sport mode (default is 195 hp - LO ie slower throttle response) or running race mode with 195 hp - HI ie fast throttle response), might make a difference.

Hoping to put enough mileage on this bike to get it up to NPR friday for service.

Chris
thanks Chris, I will see if I can get that setup ASAP with Thermosman. There is nothing better than a well setup suspension.

Ive been riding on wet which is even softer than sport. And I was told at NPR that the bike doesnt have 195hp until after the first service has been performed. So right now even if its in sport wet or race it is 120hp. Looking forward to break her in because I frequently visit the 6k rpm line and kinda bums me out having to shift or cut the throttle.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

-Dave
This is kind of funny. Guys with 749/999 switches from Progressive to 749R linear linkages, simply because they(we) don't have the linear from the factory.

Now people with the 1199 are switching from the factory Linear to Progressive.

·
Registered
533 Posts
On the 1199 we have both linkages built into the bike from the factory, it's just a small bolt you undo and flip at the rear shock for Flat or Progressive. The Progressive setting has more compliance in it's initial travel so it's nicer on the street but I will change it to the Flat setting when I am on the track, takes just about a half hour to switch between the two.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
On the 1199 we have both linkages built into the bike from the factory, it's just a small bolt you undo and flip at the rear shock for Flat or Progressive. The Progressive setting has more compliance in it's initial travel so it's nicer on the street but I will change it to the Flat setting when I am on the track, takes just about a half hour to switch between the two.

-Dave
on the 749/999, we have to change to a matching spring (stiffer for Linear). Is this the case with the 1199?

·
Registered
533 Posts
No, as standard it is just the link that you flip to the different setting and there is a rod that comes out of the swingarm that changes length to compensate, the spring itself remains the same. I had a 999 too and yes, you would then have to change the spring, the length of it and also be then set at linear no matter what riding you are doing street or track. The adjustability they have on the new bike is amazing, you have to check it out.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I did extensive work to my 999R. Changed the front end geometry (27mm offset clamps), suspension work, etc..and my 999R steers and quick/light as my R1.

What's your experience/differences that you can tell between your 999 and the 1199?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am still in break in on mine and don't have any track time until August but off the bat, torque feels slightly less down low compared to my 999 (which was an '06 w Termis) but still very adequate and I imagine will make getting on the gas easier in turns, the riding position is less stretched out which is great and even though I am 6'2" there is lots of room to move around and good body positioning is very natural on the bike. The steering and turn in is much lighter than 999 but feels as stable as the 999 does while leaned over which is amazing. The electronics all work very well, quick shifter is fantastic and you can set them all up in any way you choose. It's a very special bike, I love it. I have always missed my 999 but this has all of that and more (and elements of what is great in an R1 too like the light handling and flickability).

-Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts