Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All
Newbie here, whats the go on getting an 2011 - 1198sp up to or closer to an "R" spec in respect to engine performance. The bike has 70mm pipe, ecu chip and a few bits n bobs, but nothing on engine internals.
Am happy to give away a bit of the over-the-top midrange for a peakier higher hp top end.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well, I've read you can buy the 'R' engine internals for the SP for something like $4000 USD. I'm not sure if that includes installation, but I kinda doubt it does.

For anything other than racing though, I'm puzzled as to why you'd need the 'R' treatment ... The SP seems amusingly overpowered as it is on the street :cool:

In the long run, if you want titanium bits you are better off buying the Panigale - it already has titanium valves.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi All
Newbie here, whats the go on getting an 2011 - 1198sp up to or closer to an "R" spec in respect to engine performance. The bike has 70mm pipe, ecu chip and a few bits n bobs, but nothing on engine internals.
Am happy to give away a bit of the over-the-top midrange for a peakier higher hp top end.
Cheers
currently doing a top end rebuild on my R......trust me, it will cost way too much to do the job and not really worth it. an 1198sp just put out 172 hp on our local dynojet dyno :cool: yes the R's are doing a bit more but not worth the extra dosh you'd spend.

hopefully mine will be done this week, i'll let you know what the hp is compared to the sp..

·
Registered
279 Posts
currently doing a top end rebuild on my R......trust me, it will cost way too much to do the job and not really worth it. an 1198sp just put out 172 hp on our local dynojet dyno :cool: yes the R's are doing a bit more but not worth the extra dosh you'd spend.

hopefully mine will be done this week, i'll let you know what the hp is compared to the sp..
+1,What he said. Other than Ti componants, I think the only other differance is the R has slightly larger valves and a nicer crank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info guys, The bike is for track use only.

With the mid-range delivery, one assumes that sprocket gearing can be pretty tall for track use ?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
you probably want to consider some port work to go with the bigger vavles if you've got access to someone with alot of experience.

set the squish while you're there of course.

a lighter flywheel and clutch to help it spin up a bit faster and cheaper than a lighter R crank :D

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
1198SP makes plenty of power don't waste your money on that. Put it into suspension you'll me much happier. Extra power will not improve the handling. You're never going to use all of the power it has now.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
How about if You raise compression in the engine with a thinner gasket? I know You will have to measure squish and a one of my friends had to take a little bit off the dome to fit when he changed gasket.
I have a 1098R and I'm wondering if there are replacement high compression pistons to drop in when using a thinner gasket?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good info guys, The bike is for track use only.

With the mid-range delivery, one assumes that sprocket gearing can be pretty tall for track use ?

yeah i will say that at 200kmph my R does start to take off, it does have an awesome top end.....At phillip island and eastern creek in aussie land i never get it into 6th gear. The red lights start to flash in 5th at the end of the main straight reading an indicated 290.

so maybe some different sprockets might help you acheive what your after....what tracks are you riding and what kinda top speeds are you getting too?

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
You could talk to tomtom.. He has a tuned 1198 engine in his 996 and knows what gives. I believe he dropped in R-cams into his (not sure on that..) and he talks about stackheights and so on and has tuned atleast one 1098R and knows more then most about this engine.

Does topnoth mapping work aswell. He did my Multi 1200 mapping in the stock ECU and the bike gained 7hp in midrange with a small mod to the intake.

See his build thread for info.. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/84253-996sps-1198-engine-project.html

·
Registered
208 Posts
yeah i will say that at 200kmph my R does start to take off, it does have an awesome top end.....At phillip island and eastern creek in aussie land i never get it into 6th gear. The red lights start to flash in 5th at the end of the main straight reading an indicated 290.

so maybe some different sprockets might help you acheive what your after....what tracks are you riding and what kinda top speeds are you getting too?
Mine is exactly the same....I actually read one of your earlier posts in a different thread and now also leave my R in 5th and just let it spin into the red near the end of the Gardner straight....{at PI} ...it hits 290kph consistently...amazing feeling

This bullshit about not using all the power ??? .....I use it every lap. Maybe not too well, or maximising it properly... but I use everything it has when I can !!!! The throttle is on the stop down the shoot....it's nuts. I'm strangely use to the mad rush tthe top the R has. Everything else seems pretty blunt in that respect now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine is exactly the same....I actually read one of your earlier posts in a different thread and now also leave my R in 5th and just let it spin into the red near the end of the Gardner straight....{at PI} ...it hits 290kph consistently...amazing feeling

This bullshit about not using all the power ??? .....I use it every lap. Maybe not too well, or maximising it properly... but I use everything it has when I can !!!! The throttle is on the stop down the shoot....it's nuts. I'm strangely use to the mad rush tthe top the R has. Everything else seems pretty blunt in that respect now.
Hi Pete :)

Mine is actually going back together, should be done by next weekend. It's been nearly 6 months. Man i'm going to be rusty, will be doing lots of road k's before coming back to PI later in the year. I even got leg cramps sitting on a bike the other night for 2 minutes :(

Are you just tapping down one gear thru turn one and then using 4th all thru turn 2 ?

I had a good play with the 1199 on wednesday night, i have to say i'm very impressed. I'm still vary wary of future problems and I still need to ride it before i'd sell the R to get one, but the riding position excited me. Felt more like my 748r. I really wanted to ride it out the showroom.

Daz

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Pete :)

Mine is actually going back together, should be done by next weekend. It's been nearly 6 months. Man i'm going to be rusty, will be doing lots of road k's before coming back to PI later in the year. I even got leg cramps sitting on a bike the other night for 2 minutes :(

Are you just tapping down one gear thru turn one and then using 4th all thru turn 2 ?

I had a good play with the 1199 on wednesday night, i have to say i'm very impressed. I'm still vary wary of future problems and I still need to ride it before i'd sell the R to get one, but the riding position excited me. Felt more like my 748r. I really wanted to ride it out the showroom.

Daz
Daz...;)
I tap down one for turn 1...{around 170-180kph} then down another for turn two {125-130kph}.....so 3rd gear for Southern Loop {stock gearing}

Watch my vids, you'll see what I do....pretty basic, I keep it simple :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Bike is being ridden by an A Grade rider, - the 4cyl superbikes blow it into the weeds after about half of most medium length straights. The trick is to make it hang on "power-wise" a bit longer, all of course without losing its advantage when exiting turns.
Gearing the bike down - makes it go all loopy........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts