Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Earlier this year I bought the stunning 1198SP. It's mainly for track day use, but I want the bike to remain road legal so I can ride to the track(s) on it.

I've done some minor modifications to the bike which I'll post here for those interested.

Here's a picture of the starting point: A brand new 1198SP with only 15 kilometers on it.
Only modification done so far were Termignoni Carbon slip-on mufflers with ECU.

I initially removed the exhaust baffles to experience the open sound. What a treat! Dutch racing tracks are very tight on noise regulations so I put them back in. What a shame, but my neighbors are probably happier ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I got this replica fairing through a dutch company, but it's made in China.
The quality is actually pretty good. Material, paint job and fitting are very acceptable. Only the red colour doesn't match the tank.
They included all external parts like the front fender and rear seat area.

Ending up in the gravel on its side will be less of a bummer with the cheap plastic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Before installing the replica fairing, I put on these parts:

• SpeedyMoto Ducati 10-Spoke Clutch Cover
  • SpeedyMoto Front Sliders
  • SpeedyMoto Rear Sliders
  • Stompgrip tank pads
  • Race Seat
  • Carbon rear hugger

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point I took the bike to the race track at Zandvoort in Holland.
Great fun that was! I love the quick shifter although it did manage to stick in between 2 gears twice resulting into high RPM both times.
I'll put that down to inexperience on my part. Maybe I engaged the next gear up at too low RPM or so. Anybody had this?

I'm still new to race tracks (on road that is), but here's the bike in its natural habitat...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
At this point I took the bike to the race track at Zandvoort in Holland.
Great fun that was! I love the quick shifter although it did manage to stick in between 2 gears twice resulting into high RPM both times.
I'll put that down to inexperience on my part. Maybe I engaged the next gear up at too low RPM or so. Anybody had this?

I'm still new to race tracks (on road that is), but here's the bike in its natural habitat...

Stunning ride for sure! But why would you buy the cheap fairings and then go to the track with the stockers still on it? Wasnt the purpose of buying the cheap aftermarket ones to use on the track?:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stunning ride for sure! But why would you buy the cheap fairings and then go to the track with the stockers still on it? Wasnt the purpose of buying the cheap aftermarket ones to use on the track?:D
Thats right Viper1, but the new fairings hadn't arrived before the first track day came along.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again, here are some updates to the project...

Starting point with lots of stuff removed:

Some shots with the replica fairing installed. I didn't have to modify it as all holes aligned o.k. Stickers are below clear paint.

Heres a picture from the rear with Competition-werkes license plate holder and turn signals hidden in rear seat area.
The license plate holder is made of pretty thin metal, so I'm a bit afraid it might vibrate off. We'll see how that goes.

And heres the bike ready for the track.

I also replaced the side view mirors/turnsignals with mirror blockoff signals from Greggs. I put on a real tiny bar end mirror for legal requirements.

And I replaced the grips with a ProGrip set.

Last mod was adding a gear indicator. This is real handy on the track and surprisingly not available on the standard Ducati display.
I got the GPDS-D01 from HealTech GIpro. Real easy to install and setup.
I did the setup in my garage going through the gears on the paddock stand.

All ready for the next track day!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts