Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been riding my 2010 streetfighterS for a little over a year now and gone from the stock bars to Rizoma 0010's to speedymoto clipons and back to the Rizoma bars. I also ride a Kawasaki W650 for date nights with the wife but really want a full fairing bike so.... Which one? The 1198SP with the dry clutch music or the Tricolore with the wet clutch and all the electronic gizmos. Both are beautiful machines but I'd love some perspective. I'd really like to get my hands on an SP like "***" bike.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
It's a cliche to say it, but you really can't go too far wrong with either choice.

Get a test ride on a Pani to experiences the differences in engine characteristics. The SP will be much like the SF you already know, except a bit punchier and less comfortable (although you do get some wind protection). The 1199 may surprise you, for good or for ill.

If your budget can extend to the Tricolore, and the high powerband with relative low end loss versus the 1198 doesn't bother you, I'd say get it and don't look back. Otherwise get the SP (if you can find one - it will have to be used at this point, since no new ones are available).

·
Registered
105 Posts
get the pani. Leave the SP so I can get it sometime soon hopefully!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
My vote goes to the SP, the last with the dry clutch, frame, the way a Ducati is supposed to be IMHO. I just can't get my mind wrapped around the frameless bike with underbelly exhaust, ride by wire crap even though I love the way it looks.
Good luck!

·
9,757 Posts
When the 1198s Corse came out I knew that back in the day I should have just stuck with my 748s and waited for a bigger better version of the xx98 to come out instead of buying my then new 1098s.

What I'm trying to say is that a bigger better 1199 is bound be in the woodworks. Stick with what you've got and wait for the best of the breed to be introduced.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Buy the 1198SP. Then trade the StreetfighterS for the likely 2013 Panigale SP.
I almost hate to second guess a forum member who seems to be one hell of a rich cognoscenti of all things Ducati (your list of bikes is a hit parade of every R or SP there is - plus a Desmo :eek:), but wouldn't it fit Ducati's historical pattern better to produce an 1199R next year, and NOT an 'SP'? After all, they will be racing WSBK with it next year, and will needs to homologate. SPs usually don't show till nearer the end of a model run.

OP, if you can afford the Tricolore, go for it. The 1098 Tri released for 2007 was, I believe, the ony one produced, with the 'R' coming the year after. If Ducati holds to pattern, this year's 1199 Tri will also be the only one produced.

·
Registered
144 Posts
WNM, I currently have a 1098 SFS and a 2011 1198 SP. The 1198 is a beast in terms of torque. Very notcible difference between the SFS and the 1198 in this regard. The 1198 compared to the SFS in terms of riding comfort and ergos is night and day. The 1198 is tiring, rough, and unforgiving. Cooks your rear end too. I took passenger pegs off because they are really pointless on this bike. Forget about date night on it. She wasn't meant to share the riding experience with anyone other than the pilot. I have the black with red trellis frame. I got it new. I really love it. l love the streetfighter too. I have never ridden the 1199. It looks great. I hear it doesn't have the low end torque of the 1198, but revs much higher. Tough decision.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I almost hate to second guess a forum member who seems to be one hell of a rich cognoscenti of all things Ducati (your list of bikes is a hit parade of every R or SP there is - plus a Desmo :eek:), but wouldn't it fit Ducati's historical pattern better to produce an 1199R next year, and NOT an 'SP'? After all, they will be racing WSBK with it next year, and will needs to homologate. SPs usually don't show till nearer the end of a model run.
You certainly could be right. My information hints that Ducati has dropped the R nomenclature and is returning to the SP designation for the halo superbike model. Whatever they call it, that's the one I'm referring to with my recommendation. Part of the plan was recommending both generations of Superbike and brooming the SFS.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
... I have the [SP with] black with red trellis frame. I got it new. I really love it. l love the streetfighter too. I have never ridden the 1199. It looks great. I hear it doesn't have the low end torque of the 1198, but revs much higher. Tough decision.
The decision is easier since no new 1198SPs are available in the States. (Unless either you or I want to sell our black with red frame models to him. I don't)

Comments from 1199 owners I've spoken to all praise the Pani's handling, but damn the heat, which appears to be worse even than with the 1098/1198 seres. So far no big complaints about lack of torque. The consensus is the 1199 is easier to ride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Get the 1199, I thought as of 2012 FIM WSB rules do not allow limited production bikes anymore. So if that is the case ducati would not need to make one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
buy the tri color
than call me in 5 or 6 years
when I might be able to afford it
please

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Almost every year there's something "better". If you try to keep up, you'll inevitably wind up broke and unsatisfied, so find something which satisfies you on another level and cherish it.

BTW, Wyd Open, do you have any of the bikes in your signature? I thought just last year you were inquiring which models were limited editions. Have you already found and procured them?

·
El lobo solitario
103 Posts
my vote goes to the sp, the last with the dry clutch, frame, the way a ducati is supposed to be imho. I just can't get my mind wrapped around the frameless bike with underbelly exhaust, ride by wire crap even though i love the way it looks.
Good luck!
almost every year there's something "better". If you try to keep up, you'll inevitably wind up broke and unsatisfied, so find something which satisfies you on another level and cherish it.

By and SP!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Almost every year there's something "better". If you try to keep up, you'll inevitably wind up broke and unsatisfied, so find something which satisfies you on another level and cherish it.
Best advice yet. Last year I went out to buy a bike and could have gotten an xx98(S/SP), but instead opted for a bike I have desired for a long time - a 916 SPS. I have absolutely no buyers remorse even with the Panigale coming out.

Buy what is going to make you happy and don't worry about what the rest of us think (besides, there is no bad choice here). All of them are fast enough for the street and if you want to track it and are worried about any performance differential there (at any serious level), get a dedicated track bike.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
SP is fully sorted. It's the last gen dry clutch, and non-jap low end torque curve. It's a proven design. Ask Carlos.

The 1199 will have teething problems for years.
My vote is for the SP for sure. I'll pick up the Pani in a few years.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I personally don't care for the tricolor 1199 at all. But the red S is very, very nice.

But for the same basic price as a (new)1198SP or 1199S, you can probably also find a used 1098R. The SP is nice, but the R is even cooler.

If I had to spend $23k-ish on a bike (I wouldn't) the 1098R would be the bike IMO.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts