Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How complicated would it be to convert a 1198s to a StreetFighter?
Leave the rear alone and swap headlight, bars and fairings?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man I have a streetfighter and I wish I could have a 1198 Ahahaha. Sorry im no help but good luck with your project

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
How complicated would it be to convert a 1198s to a StreetFighter?
Leave the rear alone and swap headlight, bars and fairings?
Buy mine? lol

Different air box, exhaust routing, front stay

·
Bon Vivant
11,336 Posts
Couple of things-
I think you would have a very nimble and quick bike and it may even outperform the original SF.

It will be a lot of work to do but it certainly is possible, you may want to relocate the battery and ECU that resides under the body fairing on the left side of the bike.
I would probably get an LSL bar kit for the refit to superbike style bars - if you leave the clip-ons it's not really a streetfighter its just a stripped down SBK.
The location where the fairing meets the tank will be a bit raw unless you can custom make something - I'd probably fabricate it from carbon - a big job but the end result would be worth it.
Dash mount and headlight will have to be bespoke too, that could be fun.

All in all a big project but worth it if you are good at designing and fabricating. It would be a project I'd love to try.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Funny

I have a Streetfighter and often think of adding/fabricating a 1198 underseat exhaust to mine. Btw due to a trans issues I easily put a 1198 engine in my 1098 SF.

·
Bon Vivant
11,336 Posts
I have a Streetfighter and often think of adding/fabricating a 1198 underseat exhaust to mine. Btw due to a trans issues I easily put a 1198 engine in my 1098 SF.
Jedd, its been done a couple of times. What you have to do to make the 1198 exhaust work is to change the rear subframe and bodywork to the 1198 rear end. The SF rear is too thick for the 1198 exhaust to fit under it. This presents a couple of fitment problems where the seat and tank meet and for the under-tank side panels. And the battery and electronics have to be relocated.

Of course there are a few undertail systems (or there used to be) that are made to fit the SF.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jedd, its been done a couple of times. What you have to do to make the 1198 exhaust work is to change the rear subframe and bodywork to the 1198 rear end. The SF rear is too thick for the 1198 exhaust to fit under it. This presents a couple of fitment problems where the seat and tank meet and for the under-tank side panels. And the battery and electronics have to be relocated.

Of course there are a few undertail systems (or there used to be) that are made to fit the SF.

Update I have already bought a Leo Vince SBK full system w Ti cans, a 1098 subframe, tail light, pipe mount and carbon tail section and bottom. My next challenges like you said will be in the seat area and the bodywork on the side of the tank. I've also removed the exhaust servo and bought a slightly smaller lighter battery in anticipation of making my electronics fit. Getting closer no turning back now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pictures

Pictures
Still a little more work left to do around the rear of the seat in that there is a gap of 1.5 to 2 inches where I made a quick modesty piece which I plan to improve. I bet that this would be in the running for most comfortable SBK.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts