Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I picked up the new 1198s a couple of days ago, everthing good apart from the usual frustrations of running in!. Am interested in hearing what mls/ks people are getting once run in? also how far you can go on reserve.

Wazza.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Guys,

I picked up the new 1198s a couple of days ago, everthing good apart from the usual frustrations of running in!. Am interested in hearing what mls/ks people are getting once run in? also how far you can go on reserve.

Wazza.
It really depends on how you ride, but usually its around 90 miles or so before the light comes on. The 1098 has a 4.1 gallon tank of which 1 gallon is reserve. I wouldn't risk testing the theoretical limits of the reserve tank once the light is on, and I am sure many people that we have had to deliver gas to can attest to this statement. Regarding whether or not mileage improves after running it in generally you might see a slight improvement, but nothing extreme or drastic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just finished breaking in my 1198 today actually, and let me tell you the power of this bike at 10,000 rpm is just rediculous. I can't say gas mileage has gotten any better, sorry. As far as reserve goes I have put 30 miles with the light on being conservative, and it filled up with 3.1 gallons so I'm sure it could go a little further but I wouldn't push it if I didn't have to. I just had the oil changed at 1550 miles before I really got on the throttle. I was hitting power wheelies in 4th gear. Put a smile on my face. I just have to remember I didn't buy a 1198 for gas mileage. I am currently gutting my stock exhAust taking the cat and baffles out and putting a glass pack in from A and R motorsports. I can't wait to wake up the beasts growl!

·
Registered
608 Posts
1198S gas reflex

1648 miles on the big brute. Anyway, 33 mpg at avg speed (70-80 mph) and you CAN go 40 miles on reserve, more if ya keep at 60. Thing is, this bike is not that good at touring or cruising around (duh) so make the calculated route and goooooo for it.
Joe

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just finished breaking in my 1198 today actually, and let me tell you the power of this bike at 10,000 rpm is just rediculous. I can't say gas mileage has gotten any better, sorry. As far as reserve goes I have put 30 miles with the light on being conservative, and it filled up with 3.1 gallons so I'm sure it could go a little further but I wouldn't push it if I didn't have to. I just had the oil changed at 1550 miles before I really got on the throttle. I was hitting power wheelies in 4th gear. Put a smile on my face. I just have to remember I didn't buy a 1198 for gas mileage. I am currently gutting my stock exhAust taking the cat and baffles out and putting a glass pack in from A and R motorsports. I can't wait to wake up the beasts growl!
....power wheelies in 4th? Now that's a scary picture given my driving skills....anyhow, I have 500 miles and CANNOT wait for the first oil change at 620 miles....is it safe from that point to at least hit 10K rpms? I have done 120mph on 5th already (making sure I dont go above 6K rpm ) and I can feel the best is still to come...
I have a track event (first ever) and wanted to do the first oil change before...should I wait until I have 1200 miles on the bike first?
Cheers

561 Posts
Although I haven't run completly out of gas.....yet ? I have put 40 kms on it with the reserve light on, and all at 120 kph or so. My bike was broken in ,in about 20 min with a lot of loading up the revs and long deceleration periods while going down throught the gears. The oil was changed in the first 20 min as well, with another oil and filter change at 1000 kms. Got rid of the stock ass burning exhaust @ 1000 kms and dynoed the bke 168.7 with more to come.

·
Registered
608 Posts
....power wheelies in 4th? Now that's a scary picture given my driving skills....anyhow, I have 500 miles and CANNOT wait for the first oil change at 620 miles....is it safe from that point to at least hit 10K rpms? I have done 120mph on 5th already (making sure I dont go above 6K rpm ) and I can feel the best is still to come...
I have a track event (first ever) and wanted to do the first oil change before...should I wait until I have 1200 miles on the bike first?
Cheers
AS MUCH as you want to, dont hit 10K rpm yet. Wait till you have the specified (1,500) mileage. THEN you will notice as it is and after, breaking in, it even has more power. And oil change, do it at 600 miles and have the chain tensioned up too. The first miles on the bully take the chain for its initial stretch.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Cheers
AS MUCH as you want to, dont hit 10K rpm yet. Wait till you have the specified (1,500) mileage. THEN you will notice as it is and after, breaking in, it even has more power. And oil change, do it at 600 miles and have the chain tensioned up too. The first miles on the bully take the chain for its initial stretch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fuel light comes on around 80-85 miles. I had the unpleasant experience of running out of gas a few weeks ago at 124.6 miles and no further. This did include some fast riding. Poured a liter (from a pop bottle) of fuel in and she started right up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey man,
Thanks for the feedback....I will TRY and keep it under 10k rpms after the first oil change and up to 1500 miles....problem might be that I just registered to my first track event at Harris Hill Road on Sept 7th and still have 520 miles! Haha....unfortunately , in order to do miles in the street I have to sneak out like a ninja since wifey DOES NOT like the idea of me driving my bike like I drive my cars on the road! Haha
Cheers

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I'm glad that it isn't just mine. I picked my 1198S up on Saturday and I'm getting 80miles per fill up. I'm looking forward to being able to really letting this beast stretch it's legs after the first service.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What mileage should I expect from my 09 1198 when cruising on highway only? As I recall, it has the belt, not the chain - not sure if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What mileage should I expect from my 09 1198 when cruising on highway only? As I recall, it has the belt, not the chain - not sure if that makes any difference.
Belts to drive the cams, chain to drive the rear wheel. All serious sportbikes have final chain drive.

Your wrist is much more important to gas mileage than anything else.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Belts to drive the cams, chain to drive the rear wheel. All serious sportbikes have final chain drive.

Your wrist is much more important to gas mileage than anything else.

So going very easy on the highway, it would be possible/likely to hit 40mpg?

Just trying to anticipate how much fuel I'll use on the trip, and how often I'll stop. I think I'll aim for 60 miles at first, then go to 80+ as the trip goes on.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So going very easy on the highway, it would be possible/likely to hit 40mpg?

Just trying to anticipate how much fuel I'll use on the trip, and how often I'll stop. I think I'll aim for 60 miles at first, then go to 80+ as the trip goes on.
Possible yes, easy no. I hit 50 mpg in 1 tank out of my 1198, ever. It was 130 miles till the light came on. And it took around 2.6 gallons to fill.

According to fuelly im averaging 33 mpg in her overall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts