Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1198S had 600 mile service a little while back (now she has 2400 miles) and had the oil change etc done by service shop (Munroe Motors). No offense to them, but dont want to go back. MY QUESTION is what are the tools necessary and procedure for simple service such as chain tensioning? then oil change etc.
Manual (very paltry in terms of specs etc) suggests 7500 miles for next service. Id love to change oil every 3500. Any comments, suggestions? I presume service manual/disc wont be available for this beast for a year or two??
Thanks!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice jist

Umm... oil changes only require a tool if you buy the Ducati filters. If you use the K&N, ya just need a socket set.

If you don't have the tools necessary to take off the drain plug and successfully refit it.

The rear eccentric hub adjuster (chain adjuster tool) is a cheap Ducati dealership purchase. But I've got 12k on my 848 and haven't needed to adjust the chain at all...
TYE, youre the sole replier to date and you have very decent info. SO, who's the best vendor for that eccentric adjsuter cam-type tool to stiffen the friggin chain? Yeh not too loose, about 3/4" variance. BUT I'd love to have access to this tool, because service manual is just not plain available, and the chain needs mods soon due to this hard riding 119S and brutal acceleration.

Per quote on your 848 still tight w/12K (damn I also want a white 848), the friggin raw grunt of this torque monster just stretches the (16 week old) chain just in simple but hard acceleration.
ENJOY your comment - and THANK YOU TYE

·
Premium Member
8,752 Posts
I don't know how the chain adjuster is configured on the 1198, but I believe Motowheels has the spanner for sale. There are many local 1098/1198 guys that can help you on that aspect.

I'm sure the oil change procedure/tools/parts are the same since the first Desmoquattro, except for the pre oil screen. You need a crush washer for the oil drain plug. 10mm hex to remove oil drain plug and 11Nm (8 ft lb) torque to replace it. I'm sure your motor is a deep sump type like mine. It requires a 5mm allen wench to remove the small drain plug on the left side, next to the oil screen plug/sump. Then loosen each of the four oil-screen bolts with a 5mm allen wrench. Pull off the cover and the gasket, reach up and pull it out. A rubber seal will come out too. When putting the cover back in make sure the rubber coated gasket is in position and properly seated. Those deep sump 5mm bolts are torqued at 10Nm (7 ft. lb.).

To remove the oil filter, I simply use channel locks on the filter and unscrew it. I then fill up the new filter to about 3/4 with fresh oil, coat the gasket with some oil then spin it back on hand tight.

Filling seems to be the only touch and go time I've had with any Ducati. The best way to judge exact oil levels in the site glass is by sitting on the bike and balancing it straight up. Have someone tell you where the level is, maybe even mark the level with a sharpie. I then set the bike up on both my stands and wait until the oil level settles down. This gives me a close idea of true level for refilling by comparing the mark with the actual level while on the stands. BTW, I usually warm up my bike prior to changing the oil, per recommendations by many.
I fill the crankcase to about 3/4 full and then start the bike for a few seconds then shut it down. It takes awhile for the oil to settle back down in the site glass, making this part of the process slow going. At that time I play cat and mouse with the site glass, because sometimes all of a sudden it will fill without coming back down. At that point you know the crankcase is full. Up until that point the bike acts like a bottomless pit when it comes to filling the site glass. Seems to me I use around 4 quarts of Amsoil from Galaxy (Jon) to get it done. When nearing the end of the filling process just pour in very little oil at a time. I usually fill it to just below the max mark.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how the chain adjuster is configured on the 1198, but I believe Motowheels has the spanner for sale. There are many local 1098/1198 guys that can help you on that aspect.

I'm sure the oil change procedure/tools/parts are the same since the first Desmoquattro, except for the pre oil screen. You need a crush washer for the oil drain plug. 10mm hex to remove oil drain plug and 11Nm (8 ft lb) torque to replace it. I'm sure your motor is a deep sump type like mine. It requires a 5mm allen wench to remove the small drain plug on the left side, next to the oil screen plug/sump. Then loosen each of the four oil-screen bolts with a 5mm allen wrench. Pull off the cover and the gasket, reach up and pull it out. A rubber seal will come out too. When putting the cover back in make sure the rubber coated gasket is in position and properly seated. Those deep sump 5mm bolts are torqued at 10Nm (7 ft. lb.).

To remove the oil filter, I simply use channel locks on the filter and unscrew it. I then fill up the new filter to about 3/4 with fresh oil, coat the gasket with some oil then spin it back on hand tight.

Filling seems to be the only touch and go time I've had with any Ducati. The best way to judge exact oil levels in the site glass is by sitting on the bike and balancing it straight up. Have someone tell you where the level is, maybe even mark the level with a sharpie. I then set the bike up on both my stands and wait until the oil level settles down. This gives me a close idea of true level for refilling by comparing the mark with the actual level while on the stands. BTW, I usually warm up my bike prior to changing the oil, per recommendations by many.
I fill the crankcase to about 3/4 full and then start the bike for a few seconds then shut it down. It takes awhile for the oil to settle back down in the site glass, making this part of the process slow going. At that time I play cat and mouse with the site glass, because sometimes all of a sudden it will fill without coming back down. At that point you know the crankcase is full. Up until that point the bike acts like a bottomless pit when it comes to filling the site glass. Seems to me I use around 4 quarts of Amsoil from Galaxy (Jon) to get it done. When nearing the end of the filling process just pour in very little oil at a time. I usually fill it to just below the max mark.
THANKS John!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Few things to note about doing an oil change;

The cap on internal deep sump filter, always leaks. What I do is put a thin layer of Ducati Tri-seal (available at any dealer) on the gasket. I also put a small dab on the base of the screws themselves. This prevents the screws from leaking OR the cover from leaking.

When filling the bike with oil, you can leave the bike on the rear stand. Fill it slowly until the sight glass is at 1/2 level after a few min, once everything has settled. Run the bike at idle until its hit 60 degrees C or 140 F. This step is very important, you want the oil hot enough to actually move around the bike. Then you want the bike to cool off and once cool, you can add the remainder of the oil until its slightly below the center of the sight glass. When the bike is OFF the stand, the level should settle out slightly higher, but not much.

Then your done! ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
369 Posts
I downloaded an e file of the 1098 maintenance maual the dealers use. I found it on one of these sights. Nice tool, esp for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts