Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Base 1198: How? Is there a way to put the 1198s' on, or is there an after market kit? Problem is I need it and Unfortunately a trade in towards the S isn't an option. Any help? Paying attention....:D

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
No, plain and simple. The only reasonable way to do it is to trade for an S model. It would cost you much more money to DIY.

In case you want the why part, here goes:

You would need at the very least: front speed sensor, front right rotor, 1198S ECU, 1198S wiring harness and several little parts to put to all together, which would cost several thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
230 Posts
correction...

there is traction control for the 1198 base model.. its located right below your right wrist! :) sorry had to do it....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Get in contact with Mark at www.ducshop.com. He should be able to give you the information on the microtec add on traction control to put on non factory equipped ducs. Its going to require you to change your ecu. Dont know the eta but he can help you out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get in contact with Mark at www.ducshop.com. He should be able to give you the information on the microtec add on traction control to put on non factory equipped ducs. Its going to require you to change your ecu. Dont know the eta but he can help you out.
THAT helps out. Thanks. I looked at the mircotech website, but I couldn't find direction to Ducati application. I'll keep an eye out though. :think:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would need at the very least: front speed sensor, front right rotor, 1198S ECU, 1198S wiring harness and several little parts to put to all together, which would cost several thousands of dollars.
I don't know who gave you your info but you might wanna double check. -Or for that matter take off your 1198's fairings (oh wait, your profile says you don't have one..)and look under the tail to find the input plug for the "S's" traction control computer, look on the right side next to the throttle possition sensor conector to find a unhooked cable that's even labled "front speed", and look at any Ducati parts catalog for the 1198 and the "s" and compare part numbers... They're the same for the ECU's and the wire harness... And if you buy the parts the S has and the base doesn't (minus the wheels, and steering damper) straight from Ducati, then it costs $1939.94. But you can get that off of Egay for much cheaper.

I was asking for advice if anyone had done it before, not personal opinions from people that shouldn't be so cocky they seem like they should only be a part of a Honda Rice burner forum. Thanks anyway, and sorry if I sound like a dick... But I had to.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I don't know who gave you your info but you might wanna double check. -Or for that matter take off your 1198's fairings (oh wait, your profile says you don't have one..)and look under the tail to find the input plug for the "S's" traction control computer, look on the right side next to the throttle possition sensor conector to find a unhooked cable that's even labled "front speed", and look at any Ducati parts catalog for the 1198 and the "s" and compare part numbers... They're the same for the ECU's and the wire harness... And if you buy the parts the S has and the base doesn't (minus the wheels, and steering damper) straight from Ducati, then it costs $1939.94. But you can get that off of Egay for much cheaper.

I was asking for advice if anyone had done it before, not personal opinions from people that shouldn't be so cocky they seem like they should only be a part of a Honda Rice burner forum. Thanks anyway, and sorry if I sound like a dick... But I had to.

Had you been smart enough to read my thread, you would have seen how I was "informing" you of the question you had asked. No opinion there. My knowledge is first hand, and I have taken off enough 848/1098/1198/S/R panels to know what's there. Secondly, I gave you a very basic(read: your level) answer to the question you asked. If you think the base 1198 ECU will work on an S-based Traction Control, then you are sadly mistaken.

You are right, I don't own one, however I think I have more saddle time on any Ducati then you have on your 1198. But since you know it all about this thread(and you were the one asking), why start attacking the people trying to help you?

There are things in my profile that you see, however many things Ducati that you do not see about me are none of your business. Before you step on your own, think wisely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had you been smart enough to read my thread, you would have seen how I was "informing" you of the question you had asked. No opinion there. My knowledge is first hand, and I have taken off enough 848/1098/1198/S/R panels to know what's there. Secondly, I gave you a very basic(read: your level) answer to the question you asked. If you think the base 1198 ECU will work on an S-based Traction Control, then you are sadly mistaken.

You are right, I don't own one, however I think I have more saddle time on any Ducati then you have on your 1198. But since you know it all about this thread(and you were the one asking), why start attacking the people trying to help you?

There are things in my profile that you see, however many things Ducati that you do not see about me are none of your business. Before you step on your own, think wisely.
Well, all of that went a pretty wrong way... I thought you were attacking me, but I guess I came across like the bigger jerk. The LAST thing I want to do is make an enemy, especially from a Ducati forum, so I'll apologize to ya mate.

Thanks for the input, and I'm glad you posted. On the note about the ECU's, if the part numbers are the same, fo you think it could just be the matter of a Duc Dealer going in and activating a input code in the ECU? Wrong place and a little off topic, but Volkswagen uses universal ECU's like that. If you want to add a electronic component that needs to talk to the ECU, you just go on a computer with a special cable and tell the ECU to look for it. Just wondering, and sorry again about my ranting.:abduct:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
When the bike came out, Ducati made an error in their catalogs, showing the base model 1198 exhaust and ECU were the same. They later put out a memo to all dealers showing the error and giving the correct numbers. Not your fault, someone should have corrected that where you were searching.

What I was showing you was the hard parts that you would need. Trust me, we've thought about this very thing and it's not worth the ROI.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
When the bike came out, Ducati made an error in their catalogs, showing the base model 1198 exhaust and ECU were the same. They later put out a memo to all dealers showing the error and giving the correct numbers. Not your fault, someone should have corrected that where you were searching.

What I was showing you was the hard parts that you would need. Trust me, we've thought about this very thing and it's not worth the ROI.

+1 This is correct. When I first got my slip-ons for my 1198S, they sent me a base racing ecu that was not S specific. Worked great, but no TC. Ducati corrected the part numbers and sent me an S specific racing ecu.

But to answer the OP's question, let me tell you that although I have had the TC go off a couple of times (mostly w/ stock tires), the BIGGEST improvement simply was just getting some real tires under there. Stock was okay for what it was, but I got Dunlop 211 N-techs on right now and they are simply AMAZING. Can't say enough good things about them. You can feel them 'stick' much more, just by turning the front wheel at a stand still.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Can you not install a Bazzazz system or a PC-V? Both of them have traction control modules, plus you get the added benefit of tuning each cylinder to perfection.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually the ECU can be had pretty cheap, find someone (Like me) that has an 1198S and did the full exnhaust. Hmmmm....that sounds like it is the easiest part to obtain IMO.

PM if ya want it...make a decent offer.....just collecting dust in my storage along with the stock pipes.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just received the below in an email a couple of hours ago (direct copy/paste from the email):

-------------------------------
DTC Control module for Ducati. TC-PodDear All
Welcome to the latest product release news from Competition Systems Ltd - UK
Called the 'TC-Pod' this device gives Ducati owners with DTC equipped bikes a completely new way to set up the system and take control while riding.
Plug 'n' play kits are available for:
  • 1098-R
  • 1198-S
  • Streetfighter-S
Attached :
  • Retail price list
  • Operation manual
If you would like more information on this product, or details of trade and re-seller discounts please replay to this Email.
Many thanks for your time & please feel free to re-distribute these documents if you feel they may be interesting to other users.

**** Boasman
Competition Systems Ltd – UK

Tel sales: +44 (0)8707 444 666
Tel Technical: +44 (0)1295 768 754
www.competitionsystems.co.uk

------------------------------

I have attached the file that came with the email too. I bet this will be interesting for those of you that have a 1098R/1198S.

Doc

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Screw you bitches

Fuck ALL you fucks that didn't believe it could be done! Seriously~ big time, can say enough, SCREW YOU! God bless this guy for doing this, but all you wanna be's that want to PRETEND you work in Italy and own stock in Ducati, so therefore you know everything- kill yourselves.

http://www.ducatispot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20765

....Nuff said. Screw you all.:mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more time for good measure- fuck you all that wanted to do nothing but give a guy shit. I think I'm done now. And WTF MOSPEADA?! You of all people!?! I thought we were boys!? My daughters ready to pop out dude! Give me a call! -joe

·
9,757 Posts

LOL overreact much noob?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts