Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

Does anybody out there have some fairly definitive answers on the 'running lean' condition on the 1198's that you read so much about?

Is this condition all the way through the rev range in all conditions, or is it only prevelent under certain circumstances (ie idling down etc).

I know that one of the solutions is to buy an aftermarket exhaust/ecu (termi etc) - but this seems to be a rather expensive solution to fixing a problem that should otherwise be repairable.

1) Is this problem repairable by dealer's adjusting the ECU/mixture at the first service?

2) Is this condition damaging to the bike?

I find it somewhat stupid having to drop serious coin on a termi exhaust (to be honest, OEM power/sound is enough for me) to fix a condition that is dangerous to the long-term life of the engine.

I would really apperciate feedback from anybody out there with real experience (rather than anecdotal) on this subject.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They all run lean, its pretty normal. Slip on's and a DP ECU or tuned Nemesis will help a lot.
Thanks for the reply mate, but it's not really what I was asking.. I know the solution, I was more concerned about what happens if you continue to run the bike as it comes from factory...

1) Is it damaging to the engine, over the medium-long term.

2) Can this condition be adjusted by the dealer in a fashion that retains full warranty and original equipment? Is there a 'tweaking' solution available other than dropping serious coin on a new ECU/Exhaust?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Too bad you can't put a FatDuc on it. This $80 device is a miracle invention for newer 2v Ducs with the closed loop system. Fools the ECU into thinking rich. Bikes performance improves 100% and no need for upgraded ECU, PC or Nemesis. You can contact FatDuc, maybe they have something new on the boards or in the planning stages for the 4v. Apparently it has to do with too high of RPM on the 4v.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What setting are you running on the fat ducs (1198s)? I got to about 90% on the dials to where it ran really good from idle through the 4k transition range, but it threw lambda errors. I backed it off to about 70% on the dial in very small increments. What was happening was that the bike would start and idle fine and even run fine, but while cruising about 70 mph for a few moments the lambda sensor MIL would illuminate.

Having to back off the F/D's cost me some responsiveness, but no ECU error... Of course, I know the fix is more comprehensive, but this is good workaround for me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
14.0, runs like a dream, have never had an error or CEL light ..

I am using them whilst waiting for Arata to release the full system, will then put a DP ecu in .. i have also had a pair of 1098R Ti cans de-catted and de-baffled, so it breathes a lot better as well..

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
14.0, runs like a dream, have never had an error or CEL light ..

I am using them whilst waiting for Arata to release the full system, will then put a DP ecu in .. i have also had a pair of 1098R Ti cans de-catted and de-baffled, so it breathes a lot better as well..
Was this your own personal fix or did FatDuc suggest it? Either way it shows promise for an eventual part specific for the 4V. What are you going to do with your FatDucs once you receive the full system?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Was this your own personal fix or did FatDuc suggest it? Either way it shows promise for an eventual part specific for the 4V. What are you going to do with your FatDucs once you receive the full system?
It was my personal fix.. no contact or info from Fatduc .. ..it works ..

when i put a full system on I will most likely put a DP ECU or go the new Mictrotech ECU when they release a DTC version ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts