Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just purchased my first Ducati last week (1198 Pearl White) and I'm looking to install a new exhaust system. Wanted your opinions/experiences with the Termignoni Full Exhaust System vs. Termignoni Slip On..

Is the full system really worth the extra money? (might be a stupid question :( ) Prices I've been seeing for the Slip On are about $1740 and $3275 for the full system. (not installed)

I haven't gone to the track yet, but I plan on starting that's one of the main reason which led me to buying this bike..

Also is the ECU a pretty straight forward install? (Is it just a plug-n-play operation?)

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I ordered my 1098 with the Termi slip-ons but later chose the Leo Vince full titanium system, which I installed myself along with the Nemesis ECU. It was a no brainer and I'm a tool with tools.

The Termi slip-on is MUCH louder than my full system (I pulled the dbKillers immediately), but we're comparing apples to oranges here because of the brand change...

Personally I'm liking the Vince more because it just sounds tighter...more of a mad bark...and it also allows me to hear the engine a bit. That's music to me:)

It was definitely worth it to me but my needs are probably not the same as yours...did I notice more power? Maybe a little...more in the allocation of power across the bandwidth though than any sort of real HP increase...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've been reading after installing the ECU you need to reset the TPS? Can this only be done at the dealership? If so I wonder what they are going to rob me for since they want to do the whole install themselves..

·
Registered
956 Posts
From what I've been reading after installing the ECU you need to reset the TPS? Can this only be done at the dealership? If so I wonder what they are going to rob me for since they want to do the whole install themselves..
Nemesis man! You get the serial cable...software asks you for full open and full closed throttle (you simply give it full throttle to grab the numbers). You check the tolerances are within their spec, transmit to ECU, and you're done. The Nemesis is awesome.

edit: and the Nemesis is a full-blown system for those who have the inclination/knowledge/tools (dyno etc.) to tweak.

But it is truly plug-and-play and very adjustable even to a newb like me with nothing more than a computer and a butt dyno...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey all, I just purchased my first Ducati last week (1198 Pearl White) and I'm looking to install a new exhaust system. Wanted your opinions/experiences with the Termignoni Full Exhaust System vs. Termignoni Slip On..

Is the full system really worth the extra money? (might be a stupid question :( ) Prices I've been seeing for the Slip On are about $1740 and $3275 for the full system. (not installed)

I haven't gone to the track yet, but I plan on starting that's one of the main reason which led me to buying this bike..

Also is the ECU a pretty straight forward install? (Is it just a plug-n-play operation?)

Thanks in Advance.
Depends on what you want it for...Are you the type of person that just wants the look of some nice exhaust cans, a better exhaust note and some extra ponies? Or do you want to squeeze every last bit of HP out of an exhaust that you can while saving as much weight as possible. Do you want to spend all that money?

I always have gone with the full systems on my other bikes, and I also did so on my 848. I purchased a used Termi full system on ebay for a hell-of-a-deal that looked brand new. I had to be patient to find that deal, but believe me they're out there. You could get a brand new termi system right now for around $2000, if you like.

You may see guys out there selling multi-fit kits i.e 848,1098,1198, but you should make sure that you are getting the kit that was made for your bike(correct P/N). The difference being that the "hard parts" will fit, but the software was mapped for a specific model.

The install was straight forward, although I had to tweak it a bit to fit the bike plus I needed a couple specialty tools. The ecu is plug and play, you are correct. The TPS will need to be reset, which can be done by the dealer for minimal cost or you can buy the third party VDST software and do it yourself. http://www.technoresearch.com/Products/VDSTS-Motorbike/VDSTS_Motorbike_Features.htm

Be fore warned though, the full termi system will bring a huge smile to your face :D. It is also very loud with the DB killers out. I almost need ear plugs at times. But you know what they say about loud pipes...

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you go with termi, find a used one, they are everywhere.

If i can make the choice again, i will take the Titanium pipe.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Additional question

I just switched from an 848 to an 1198 and noticed that the 1198 runs much hotter. I do not need extra power, but want the engine to run cooler. Does the ECU and the termi slips ons help? I think I would make the upgrade if the bike runs 10 degrees cooler. I find my self doing 80 mph just to keep it under 190 degrees.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
have to agree with DUC. if you need to squeeze every little HP out when racing then go with the full. I have a half Termi system and I love it plus, I saved the extra coin and put it in other places for cosmetic so the babes like me more....:D

·
Registered
608 Posts

Thanks in Advance.
Go half system slip on. I did and i love it - no elted body parts underneath w/ full. Youre still getting almost 8-10 add HP. Cmon, the bastard is obnoxious either way, even stock... Then youre definitely ear plug material
Joe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go half system slip on. I did and i love it - no elted body parts underneath w/ full. Youre still getting almost 8-10 add HP. Cmon, the bastard is obnoxious either way, even stock... Then youre definitely ear plug material
Joe
I put the Termi slip ons with the DP ECU on my 848, it runs great and very smooth, and very cool. Temp on the fwy is 160F. Even as good as this is, I'll probably get a PC and a dyno session to make it as smooth and efficient as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with the slip on kit with DP ECU. The bike runs much better now. The slip-ons remove the cats, so there will be less heat on your legs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just switched from an 848 to an 1198 and noticed that the 1198 runs much hotter. I do not need extra power, but want the engine to run cooler. Does the ECU and the termi slips ons help? I think I would make the upgrade if the bike runs 10 degrees cooler. I find my self doing 80 mph just to keep it under 190 degrees.

Thanks for any input.
The exhaust system will not help the engine run significantly cooler. The 1198 just makes more heat because of the increased displacement and the corresponding decrease in cooling jacket area. The radiator can only be just so big so you are limited on what you can do. Ride faster or in cooler weather.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Thanks for any input.
Underseat temps will be less and the bike will run cooler while moving, but make no mistake, that thing will heat up to 210+F still while sitting there idling.

My above comments are in regards to an 848 by the way...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depends on what you want it for...Are you the type of person that just wants the look of some nice exhaust cans, a better exhaust note and some extra ponies? Or do you want to squeeze every last bit of HP out of an exhaust that you can while saving as much weight as possible. Do you want to spend all that money?

I always have gone with the full systems on my other bikes...

The install was straight forward, although I had to tweak it a bit to fit the bike plus I needed a couple specialty tools. The ecu is plug and play, you are correct. The TPS will need to be reset, which can be done by the dealer for minimal cost or you can buy the third party VDST software and do it yourself...
this is not plug and play. if you are spending all that money to get the best from your bike, get a power commander and do the dyno-tune. otherwise don't bother; get the slip on and be happy.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Thanks for any input.

My 1198s benifited big time from the added fuel that the DP ECU gave. I have a full termi system and the DP ECU that was in the kit. I also added the Speedymoto water pump cover and Redline Supercool. The bike runs cooler and cools back down way faster than it did stock.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Too many factors to add in here, BUT with all of the 1198's that we've dynoed, I found no big gains between them, either way. Considering the numbers game, average HP with a stocker is ~150. the slip-ons take the numbers to ~158HP, while the full system average ~161HP. As far as heat is concerned, the big issues are compunded due to 1. capacity(well said Mac), 2. servo under the seat(creating back pressure), 3. how the mufflers are necked down about 5 times to get to the stock muffler diameter, creating even more back pressure.

A set of slip ons will give you higher flow along with a richer running ECU, resulting in a mild drop in temps. Not that significant(or like the 848 temp drop). If you want lower temps, wrap the pipes and/or liquid additives.

Personally, I like the look and sound of the Leo's. If you plan to do a nemesis, do the Leo's, as they are PIMP.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 1198s benifited big time from the added fuel that the DP ECU gave. I have a full termi system and the DP ECU that was in the kit. I also added the Speedymoto water pump cover and Redline Supercool. The bike runs cooler and cools back down way faster than it did stock.

Thanks Racer. I decided to get the slip ons for the ECU so it'll run less lean at lower revs. Also, my mechanic told me that "Engine Ice" coolant will help a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Engine Ice...May have to try that out as well. I've seen my temps on my bike goes as high as 218 before...I have a 999 by the way

1 - 20 of 23 Posts