Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this topic has already been broght up or not but I am curious if Ducati will bump up the displacement to 1198 for the SF like they did with the superbike in a year or two.

I bought a 2007 1098 (used) about six months before Ducati announced that they were moving up to an 1198. I felt kind of cheated. Ok. . . . I know. . . A lot of you are probably saying, "That's what every manufacturer does!!!" Evolution in motorcycle technology is a good thing! More power, better handling, lighter weight, is all good. Why would anybody complain about advancements in motorcycling changing each year for the better???

I know this, but it hits home when it happens to ME, instead of the other guy down the street.

I REALLY like the SF! It's exactly what I've been looking for in a bike for years!!! But, an extra 10 hp sounds appealing as well.

If I wait, I can probably pick up a used SF in less than a year. I'll save a few dollars and I can wait until then.

But, what if Ducati announces that the SF is bumping up to an 1198. . . That means I'll have to wait even longer!!!

The question is then, "Do I have enough patience"????????????

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Did they ever change the power plant of the S4R? I'm not sure but I think it's powerplant didn't change. If that is true, I would be doubtful of a change for the SF. Hope I'm right.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Did they ever change the power plant of the S4R? I'm not sure but I think it's powerplant didn't change. If that is true, I would be doubtful of a change for the SF. Hope I'm right.
Yes it went from a 996 to a 998 testastretta for 2007.

I suspect that Ducati will keep the 1198 engine for the superbike range and will recover the investment in the 1098 by using that in the SF and the new adventure tourer

No guarantees but from a marketing perspective it would make sense for the superbike to have the higher performance engine. Remember the 1198 was made necessary because of World SBK homologation rule changes

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait for the Superbike to go to 1298, then go for the SF 1198 ;)

I'm also on the fence- I feel like Ducati always needs a year or two to work out the bugs, but then if you can get a deal on a used one, it's a better deal...

A 1298. . . . Man, I never thought of that!!! How long am I gonna have to wait???!!! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
we havent even seen in person the sf most of us, and you are already asking if ducati will upgrade it to 1198??? Come on thats obvious, ducati always follows that strategy! Lets see first how the sf will fit in with the competition, and lets face it the sport 1000cc nakeds is a crowded division on its own! So we ll see...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
we havent even seen in person the sf most of us, and you are already asking if ducati will upgrade it to 1198??? Come on thats obvious, ducati always follows that strategy! Lets see first how the sf will fit in with the competition, and lets face it the sport 1000cc nakeds is a crowded division on its own! So we ll see...

Most def. we'll have to see how successful the sf is in sales before we can think of any other versions

Chris

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
The SF will rightly be the king of the class right now. The Brutale 1078 a close second in my estimation. I don't think we would see an 1198 until there was a serious bike there to knock the SF from its 'throne'. I am quite confident that the power will be more than enough for me - after pipe, air-box and ECU tweaking ;) Also, couldn't one just swap out the cylinders and pistons from an 1198? yeehaw.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
if you have ridden a brutale 1078 (or talk to anyone who has on the mvagusta.net boards) across the line they say that they don't like the 1078. They say it's just a rocket engine attached to a frame and wheels and the words "unrideable on the street" are often thrown around. WHen your weight is further back like on a naked, ridiculous power reduces enjoyment as it's hard to keep the front wheel down.

Why don't you try riding a SF, see if you can master it... you'll be a a few years older before you even reach 1/2 of it's potential. At that point, you can see what else has come to market. My point is, lets not get obsessed with numbers and the "next best thing"... just ride the thing, I doubt anyone will complain of "not enough power"

·
Registered
395 Posts
if you have ridden a brutale 1078 (or talk to anyone who has on the mvagusta.net boards) across the line they say that they don't like the 1078. They say it's just a rocket engine attached to a frame and wheels and the words "unrideable on the street" are often thrown around. WHen your weight is further back like on a naked, ridiculous power reduces enjoyment as it's hard to keep the front wheel down...
Also the bike must have longer wheelbase with pushed out rake for stability taking away quick steering.... the reason I think 848SF with 24.5 rake is a good idea :rolleyes:

There is plenty of torque to carry a 200 pounds ass around corners.

·
Registered
900 Posts
if you have ridden a brutale 1078 (or talk to anyone who has on the mvagusta.net boards) across the line they say that they don't like the 1078. They say it's just a rocket engine attached to a frame and wheels and the words "unrideable on the street" are often thrown around. WHen your weight is further back like on a naked, ridiculous power reduces enjoyment as it's hard to keep the front wheel down.

Why don't you try riding a SF, see if you can master it... you'll be a a few years older before you even reach 1/2 of it's potential. At that point, you can see what else has come to market. My point is, lets not get obsessed with numbers and the "next best thing"... just ride the thing, I doubt anyone will complain of "not enough power"
Yeah, there have been some that agree with you. But that may be the whole attraction. I personally don't want to master it. I want my next bike to terrify me into being a better rider. Plus, I just getting bored with clip ons and having a track bike with no track to ride on.
I agree that the numbers thing is something bench racers groove on. As far as rideable goes, my 675 has all I need for power and the GT is just a blast. As soon as I can get the $$$$ together I'll drop it down on a 2010/11 model if it takes that long.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can tell you,from personal experience,this bike has plenty of grunt and the handling is better than ANY other bike I've ever ridden.!! :eek:

Even though I'm still "running in" I have noticed the power coming in from as low as 2500rpm.and that's without even trying.God knows what it will be like when it's bedded in and loosened up. :eek:

I'm sure Ducati will put the 1198 in the Streetfighter but who cares,I couldn't push this bike to it's limits,especially on the road,because I wouldn't live very long if I did.

It's not just about horsepower,there are a multitude of other factors to consider.

No 1 on my list is the GRIN FACTOR and the Streetfighter certainly has that,in Spades..... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts