Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,
I am trying to choose between two 1198SPs.
One has 100km on it and has no mods at all. It is just like new.
Other has 2000km on it and it has termignoni slip-on and many carbon parts.
Price is only 500$ different.

But I am not sure how to check this termignoni slip-on is for 1198SP or 1198S.
I heard ECU for 1198SP is different because of the quick shift.
How do I check if it is for 1198SP or not?

And one more silly question.

Not for performance wise, but for bike itself, will it be better to put full Termignoni? I mean for longer life of the bike. I heard from the DUC club guys saying that full pipe makes ducati function better not only in performance way but bikes are already built to be better in every way with bigger pipe.
Is this true?
Or is this just silly nonsense?

·
Registered
533 Posts
The slip-ons themselves are physically the same, just make sure it is the newer i.e shorter style Termis. The ECU should be labeled on the side with a white sticker whether it is for an S or SP. If not, I can check the DP part #s, I had an SP ECU that I had to reflash to S specs. My bike sounded much better but ran slightly worse with the Termi slip ons and DP ECU, occasional stalls and lots of backfiring. I no longer have the bike but was told it would be easy to tune that out by further adjusting the air/fuel mixture. I don't have any experience with the Termi full system on this bike.

-Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The slip-ons themselves are physically the same, just make sure it is the newer i.e shorter style Termis. The ECU should be labeled on the side with a white sticker whether it is for an S or SP. If not, I can check the DP part #s, I had an SP ECU that I had to reflash to S specs. My bike sounded much better but ran slightly worse with the Termi slip ons and DP ECU, occasional stalls and lots of backfiring. I no longer have the bike but was told it would be easy to tune that out by further adjusting the air/fuel mixture. I don't have any experience with the Termi full system on this bike.

-Dave
Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Get the all-stock one. Who knows how the termi-piped example was ridden by it's temporary owner. I'd bet on the stock one being less abused during break in.

As an FYI, I'd suggest holding off on adding non-stock pipes until you've passed the 1100 mile mark. My SP's engine 'loosened up', ran better, and the stock pipes began to sound like race editions. Not sure, but I don't think Ducati were too serious about sound control on those stockers ... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get the all-stock one. Who knows how the termi-piped example was ridden by it's temporary owner. I'd bet on the stock one being less abused during break in.

As an FYI, I'd suggest holding off on adding non-stock pipes until you've passed the 1100 mile mark. My SP's engine 'loosened up', ran better, and the stock pipes began to sound like race editions. Not sure, but I don't think Ducati were too serious about sound control on those stockers ... :)
Thanks EagleRider,
I heard from the dealer who is selling the one with mods that the last owner was a playboy who likes to show off with the bike. He said the bike was never even in the track. hmmm

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
Thanks EagleRider,
I heard from the dealer who is selling the one with mods that the last owner was a playboy who likes to show off with the bike. He said the bike was never even in the track. hmmm
sounds like he was a member of your local kick-stand club... i'd go for the one with the upgrades, unless you really feel like throwing a few thousand bucks at it to get the exhaust and other bits...

I don't put much stock into all of the hand-wringing that people do over break-in and if you're worried about it have the dealer do a compression leak-down test....

$0.02 concluded

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ducat750, I'm not cautioning about less than perfect break in, I'm cautioning about possible personalities would would redline a less than 100km bike all over the place. Aggressive riding is one thing, but mechanical abuse is another entirely. Off course, the bling-bike owner might be all about looks and not action .. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts