Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of searching online and on this site. I'm trying to play with my suspension settings to find a comfortable ride. I have 2010 1198S and the rear shock has 1 black knob on it. Does that change the compression or damping? Where do I change the other? :confused:

All the other ohlins shocks I see have 2 knobs on them and are labeled.

·
comrade moderator
26,975 Posts
You have three adjustments on your shock: Spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping. The compression damping is the black knob on the shock resivour and the rebound damping is a knurled ring (probably also black?) on the bottom of the shock, down by the lower shock mount.

The damping, wether compression or rebound, is an adjustment of the speed in which the shock compresses or rebounds. The adjustmets generally only adjusts the "low speed" regoin of shock action. The spring sag, if the spring is correct for your weight, is set to sag numbers and left alone, for the most part.

Damping adjustmets are made buy counting clicks or turns from full hard, which is to say fully closed. Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty still applies here. So if someone says they have their compression set at 10 turns or the rebound is 8 clicks, they are talking from fully seated.

Have fun and post up what you find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I bought my bike used and I know the spring is not stock, so maybe the shock is modified, but I don't see a knurled knob near the lower mount.

Here is a picture, can you tell if it has been removed?

Great info though, taught me something.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it after some extensive research. I guess there is a 3mm hex near the base that adjusts rebound dampening.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I found it after some extensive research. I guess there is a 3mm hex near the base that adjusts rebound dampening.
Yup, you need a longish allen key wrench, and there should be a hole in the swingarm, on mine pulling the left side rearset makes it alot easier to access. Terrible design IMO.

Ill upgrade to a TTX in the next 6 mos, both adjustments are up top on them.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Good to find this thread! Anybody have a PDF of the Ohlins manual, or know what the stock settings [as a starting point for my tuning of it] were from the factory on the 1198s for the Ohlins shock? Mine's a DU 8110, BTW.
Thanx!
-bdb

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Thanks much, Ducvet! so is that 10 clicks out from fully screwed down position - or from fully screwed out? Available range is 22 clicks for compression, and 25 for rebound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts