Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please. My OEM springs don't fit flush with these Ducabike pegs. Vendor was helpful by looking at pics and listening to my explanation, but said no one else has this problem. Bought bike used, DB pegs new.

I compared the distances from the center of the hole for the peg's mounting pin to the shoulder of the peg where the outboard end of the spring should rest and the DB peg's distance is shorter than the OEM's distance by the gap seen in the picture. The hole for the peg's mounting pin is in the center in the DB peg while it is offset in the OEM peg toward the bottom of the peg, effectively making the OEM peg taller relative to the mounting hole. So the lower elevation of the DB peg's shoulder relative to the mounting pin hole causes the gap and prevents the the end of the spring from resting on the DB peg's shoulder.

Anyone else have this issue? I have verified problem exists on both sides, inboard end of spring is seated in retaining hole, peg is rightside up, spring is facing correct direction, spring is centered around pin (can't push wound portion down to reduce gap), etc.

I don't think I would have luck bending and/or cutting the spring. Any source for smaller/tighter spring? Heat/cut/bend end of spring? I can't imagine that's what others have done.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so the vendor reports hundreds of sales of these same pegs with no one saying that their springs don't fit, and apparently no one here is running these pegs.

I wonder if there is any downside to running them w/o the spring? I obviously wouldn't consider doing this on one of my dirtbikes where something could hit the peg and fold it up, but I'm thinking the peg isn't likely to fold up when I move my foot position from the ball of my foot to the arch for the rare time I use the back brake (coming to a stop or near stop when debris is present or surface is slick looking). And if it did, I would be going pretty slow.

The greater hazard seems to be my boot continuing to slip off that smooth ball end, which is why I wanted grippier pegs in the first place.

Thoughts? Guess I will give it a try. Seems a shear pin-like feature would make sense here, giving the solid feel of non-folding and a frame tab saving break-away feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, shorter's not the problem, one end is clearly designed/bent to seat in the hole on the inboard side

the outboard end/peg-side of the spring sits ABOVE the DB peg (because the DB peg is at a lower elevation than the OEM peg), not too far out.

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts